A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:49:06 pm
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Tulsa's residential trash system  (Read 124182 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »

What do you call it when a class ring with a half ounce of gold, which sold for $14 dollars, is valued at $750 dollars on today’s market? The 79 cent gallon of milk is priced at $3.45?  The Ford auto sold for $2300 dollars now is priced at $23000 dollars? GMC pickup sold for $1400 dollars now priced at $18000 dollars?  Gallon of gasoline sold for 19 cents a gallon now $3.19?  Minimum wage was 25 cents an hour. 

Run away inflation?   We are the world greatest debtor as the values on the foreign exchanges devalue the dollar.  What would one call it other than reverse economy? 

Even you have to understand that there must be a time reference for that glop of stuff to have any meaning at all.  So what is it?  What is your starting point?  If it is 1933 (gold at $28 per ounce), then there has been no inflation with your examples....less than 1% per year.

1950 - milk about 80 cents.  Car $1700 - Chevy was about 800.  Minimum wage $0.75.

I bought gas in 1968 at 12.9 cents per gallon... there was a "gas war" going on in northwest Arkansas at the time.

What time are you talking about.  If don't specify, then this just joins so many of your posts that are irrelevant and incoherent.

But if you put a time from the 30s to the 60s, then you are just flat out wrong.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »

Okay, here's where part of my frustration with the City lies as it relates to what can and can not be included in the recyclables.

I got my 10 free "Extra Refuse" stickers in the mail on Thursday, along with a single page mailer.  On the back of it was a list of items that could and could not be recycled.

Those of you who got that mailer might want to see how it differs from the City's own website on the issue at http://www.cityoftulsa.org/environmental-programs/recycling/what-can-and-can't-be-recycled.aspx

Now I realize these days the City's web site is having a few 'issues', but when the interim service started, we called the City to inquire about certain things.  Shredded paper being one of them.

Looking at the web site, it says sure..
Looking at the mailer, is says sure..but in parentheses, it says (Bagged).

For the past two months, I've been including shredded paper, but we don't bag it.  Plus, it says you can't recycle plastic bags anyway.  And I can count on one hand the number of vendors I know that use paper bags still (Braum's and every once in a while Warehouse Market will).

DoubleEweTeeEff?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
lalumna
Citizen

« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:10 pm »

Here's a quirky trash-related occurrence. Last week the trash collectors missed our street. They picked up our recycling, but not our garbage. So everyone on the street left their garbage carts out. I thought that after one or two people called to tell them they forgot our street, they'd come out and get the trash for the whole street. Nope. They've been coming out to collect one house at a time. About half of us have had our trash picked up and the other half have full carts still sitting there. At least two of us told them that they had missed the whole street, but the message must not be getting through because they are only collecting one house at a time. Now that's just goofy.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

That is goofy. Be patient. They are getting better.

And keep calling 918 596-9777 when you get missed. It is important to document the problems.

Power is nothing till you use it.
davideinstein
« Reply #364 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

Where I currently love in zoned commercial (hilariously out of date zoning) so we use a private company for trash. In that type of situation, what should I do to recycle? What's the easiest way?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #365 on: December 10, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »

http://metrecycle.com/

Send me a private message. I will help.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2012, 01:51:47 pm »

I was offered a second recycling can, then told it wasn't offered, then told I would get it in the next few weeks. That was a month ago. Either they will get it straightened out soon or I'm using the boxes in my garage to open a Mailboxes, etc.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2013, 03:25:31 pm »

Why is There a Hidden Chip in Your New Tulsa Trash Can?

http://www.ktul.com/story/20616070/new-trash-carts-hold-electronic-device-to-monitor-your-habits-and-pickups

Tulsa, Oklahoma -
When the city purchased new trash and recycling bins, each one came with a unique component. It is called a Radio Frequency Identity tag.

You may not have seen it, located underneath a black plastic cap, on the hinge of the lid.

In some cities, the RFID chip can weigh recycled goods, and citizens are penalized for not recycling, or they may be rewarded recycling dollars for going green. Tulsa officials say that's not the purpose of the tags in your cart.

The RFID tag is there to track when your cart is emptied. A reader inside each truck reads the your chip.

Tulsa reportedly has a system that will help if your carts are blown down the street. They can be traced back to you. And they will confirm if your trash hasn't been picked up and when.

"They can check and see if that truck has tipped your container. If not they will have that, or they can say what time did you put your trash out. If they say they put it out at 8. They can say well, it shows here truck went by at 7:30," City Councilor David Patrick explained.

If you're tempted to tamper with the RFID, remember it is city property, if you damage it.

The new reporting system will start in February, once the installations are complete.

Taking our guns and tracking our trash.  The mosquito spray trucks are for mind control.  It's time to light something on fire.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »

Why is There a Hidden Chip in Your New Tulsa Trash Can?

http://www.ktul.com/story/20616070/new-trash-carts-hold-electronic-device-to-monitor-your-habits-and-pickups

Taking our guns and tracking our trash.  The mosquito spray trucks are for mind control.  It's time to light something on fire.

Turn over a few cars, call up some midget strippers...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »

Sometimes I miss Mid-town.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2013, 04:11:02 pm »

Night Trips might be able to help you there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15:28 am »

Slightly misleading, definitely confusing:

(KTUL) Why is There a Hidden Chip in Your New Tulsa Trash ..
Jan 17, 2013 4:10 PM CST
When the city purchased new trash and recycling bins, each one came with a unique component. It is called a Radio Frequency Identity tag.
You may not have seen it, located underneath a black plastic cap, on the hinge of the lid.
In some cities, the RFID chip can weigh recycled goods, and citizens are penalized for not recycling, or they may be rewarded recycling dollars for going green. Tulsa officials say that's not the purpose of the tags in your cart.
The RFID tag is there to track when your cart is emptied. A reader inside each truck reads the your chip.
Tulsa reportedly has a system that will help if your carts are blown down the street. They can be traced back to you. And they will confirm if your trash hasn't been picked up and when.
"They can check and see if that truck has tipped your container. If not they will have that, or they can say what time did you put your trash out. If they say they put it out at 8. They can say well, it shows here truck went by at 7:30," City Councilor David Patrick explained.
If you're tempted to tamper with the RFID, remember it is city property, if you damage it.
The new reporting system will start in February, once the installations are complete.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org