A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:42:39 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gomez's felony arrest record on internet  (Read 14199 times)
rwarn17588
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 08:48:18 am »

Bubblehead's  "stake" in this is that I want to know why Gomez didn't mention his assault on a police officer and why the Tulsa World didn't report it.

Not much of an answer.

Frankly, because you've had no other interest in this forum other than to take a hatchet to Gomez, you're not going to get much traction here. You've made no effort whatsoever to be engaged in other discussions here.

It's your right to do a hatchet job on Gomez. But the fact is few people are going to care about an incident that happened more than a decade ago, and it has no bearing on his duties as a city councilor now. And because your motivations are so blatant, you're not going to have much credibility anyway.

(I don't live in Gomez's district and don't really care whether he or Barnes wins. Both, I think, would be decent-quality councilors. Not great, but decent.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:49:51 am by rwarn17588 » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:48:50 am »

Doesn't it matter that he was not totally truthful about his past? A decade or whatever, he more or less spun the event. The World must really like the guy. I don't pay much attention to excesses of youth, and I am glad to forgive his past if he paid his dues, but isn't honesty the issue here?

Don't shoot the messenger.
rwarn17588
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:21 am »

Doesn't it matter that he was not totally truthful about his past? A decade or whatever, he more or less spun the event. The World must really like the guy. I don't pay much attention to excesses of youth, and I am glad to forgive his past if he paid his dues, but isn't honesty the issue here?

Don't shoot the messenger.

Probably because he was embarrassed by it (I would be), and part of his record was expunged.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »

Probably because he was embarrassed by it (I would be), and part of his record was expunged.

I can agree with this one.  I've had my run ins in the past and don't particularly want to go waving them around if I can help it, so I can understand an ommission. And since I've seen A & B on an officer charges come up because the cop pushed someone who had too much to drink, that person reached out to steady himself to keep from falling and the cops shoulder is what his hand found, I don't put a lot of merit into this charge without some serious details to go along with it. 
RevereSide
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:10 am »

I don't put a lot of merit into this charge without some serious details to go along with it. 

Where ARE the details?  Gomez should be asked for them. The police officer should be interviewed. The arrest records should be released.  Where is this basic journalism? 

Because there was a shallow misleading news report in 2004 that appears to have been pulled from the archives for the 2009 update the public thinks Gomez pleaded guilty to being drunk after a soccer game.  Something much more actually happen--what that was is a mystery.  If the World had even looked closely at the OSCN docket sheet--something everyone can still easily look at online--

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=236054&db=Tulsa

---they would have seen he was on some sort of probation for some sort of felony until May of 1999.  Yet the 2004 article says the mystery charge was dismissed in 1997 and the 2009 article says that he pleaded guilty to public drunk (when it actually was dismissed)--something the OSCN records clearly show was not the case.

If the criminal contact background of all candidates for public office is relevant--as the Tulsa World thinks it is--their reporting should be accurate and complete.  The World (our only newspaper of record) could and should have asked for an OSBI report just like defeatgomez.com apparently did.  In fact they should do it for every major candidate and public official.  That they did not do it for Gomez suggests they did not do it for the others.  Wonder what else we are missing?
TeeDub
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:45 am »

Meh...    He made some mistakes while young and drunk..   Who hasn't?    And really, you propose to persecute him for that?   I bet you have at least that in your past...  And if not, it was merely luck on your part not to get caught.

Does a drunk and disorderly really disqualify someone from office?   (Obviously not Trebilcock, and he even did it WHILE in office.)
waterboy
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »

So where do you draw the line on disclosure? That's a gnarly can of worms you're opening. It was a/b on a police officer, d/d and resisting arrest. If that isn't worthy of full disclosure, what is?

BTW, who hasn't? I haven't. Nor my wife, my brothers, my sister, my mom, or my sons. We aren't exactly Mormons either. Now, my uncles? Different story.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:38:40 pm by waterboy » Logged
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 07:23:16 pm »

I can agree with this one.  I've had my run ins in the past and don't particularly want to go waving them around if I can help it, so I can understand an ommission. And since I've seen A & B on an officer charges come up because the cop pushed someone who had too much to drink, that person reached out to steady himself to keep from falling and the cops shoulder is what his hand found, I don't put a lot of merit into this charge without some serious details to go along with it. 

http://www.newson6.com/story/16979594/former-tulsa-city-councilor-arrested-for-domestic-assault-and-battery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org