A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:54:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Souls moving to East Village?  (Read 38506 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 10:44:41 am »

It is not just the state, or the culture of the state or even the time period. America is a country that was founded by some pretty hard rock, Calvinist, tee totalers. Oklahoma's first legislators were strongly Baptist, from what I've read, and meant to keep our state a safe, sober, labor friendly environment. They had lived through the period of the late 19th century with its unregulated drugs in the form of patent medicines, laudenum, cocaine, opium and alcohol. Ironically, it backfired.

Enjoy your enlightened, adult view of drinking that Canadians and Europeans share. Your lobbying efforts to extend that enlightenment will surely face stiff opposition. Wink

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:14 am »

Kudos to All Souls:

Tulsa Church Donates Offering To Greenwood Cultural Center

http://www.newson6.com/story/17111729/tulsa-church-donates-offering-to-greenwood-cultural-center?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TULSA, Oklahoma - A Tulsa church has given its worship service collections from February 26, 2012 to the Greenwood Cultural Center.

Last month, we told you about the center and its fight to stay open.

State of Oklahoma budget cuts and a tough economic climate have devastated many youth programs that were once offered at the Center at 322 North Greenwood.

About $100,000 has been raised to help build the center in North Tulsa.

2/22/2012 Related Story: Tulsa's Greenwood Cultural Center Struggling To Survive

The All Souls Unitarian Church donated $2,898.09 to the Center.

Church officials say they believe in Center's mission and sponsor and promote educational and cultural events that preserve African American heritage and pays tribute to the history of the Greenwood District.

The executive director of the Center, Frances Jordan-Rakestraw says All Souls contribution will assist in supporting ongoing programs and gives hope to the Center in restoring other children's programs.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »

I was there that Sunday and pitched in a few dollars. All Souls organized a civil rights march in the 1960s in Tulsa when I was a kid going to Sunday School there.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:18 pm »

I was there that Sunday and pitched in a few dollars. All Souls organized a civil rights march in the 1960s in Tulsa when I was a kid going to Sunday School there.

I remember when that happened.  Had recently moved back from the frozen north - '65 or '66.  Was too young to participate, but seems like it was on TV. 

Memory - wish I had one.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »

I realize this is old but did the church decide to stay on Peoria or are they still planning a move to 6th & Frankfort downtown? 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2013, 05:51:11 pm »

The church voted to move, but there has been no movement as of yet.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »

Does anyone know what the plan is for the All Souls Church building and its grounds? 

Also, when are they planning on building their new building?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »

The original plan, which could've changed, was to build a new church building on the vacant lot between 6th and 7th, Frankfort and Kenosha.  There was speculation the half block parking lot along Frankfort is also included and would be a building for community groups.  Parking would be in existing lots to the north and on the surrounding streets.  Someone also mentioned a small urban park/garden was also part of the original plan.  I hadn't heard anything in awhile and wondered if they were still moving or just taking their time/fundraising.

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »

Does anyone know what would be the plan for the current Peoria All Souls Church site?
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2015, 09:25:51 am »

Does anyone have an update on whether the church is still moving downtown? With all the Nelson Stowe focus on "East Village," I had almost forgot about this possibility.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2015, 01:22:46 pm »

Does anyone have an update on whether the church is still moving downtown? With all the Nelson Stowe focus on "East Village," I had almost forgot about this possibility.

I've been wondering this myself. They are not the owner according to the County Assessor.

Owner name: TRI-MC PINEHURST LLC

^ is the registered owner, they also own the parking lot directly to the northwest too between Elgin|Frankfurt & 6th|5th.

TRI-MC PINEHURST, is registered to the address of McElroy Manufacturing at Independence & Fulton (just north of I-244 & Yale). So maybe they never closed on the land, or maybe they have an agreement to buy the land from them once the church raises the $$... who knows.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

I've been wondering this myself. They are not the owner according to the County Assessor.

Owner name: TRI-MC PINEHURST LLC

^ is the registered owner, they also own the parking lot directly to the northwest too between Elgin|Frankfurt & 6th|5th.

TRI-MC PINEHURST, is registered to the address of McElroy Manufacturing at Independence & Fulton (just north of I-244 & Yale). So maybe they never closed on the land, or maybe they have an agreement to buy the land from them once the church raises the $$... who knows.

I go to church there but not very regularly so I don't know even what's going on. I haven't heard anything in a long time.

I do know Chip McElroy's family bought the land for the church, they are members.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »

I was told this weekend the McElroy's will donate the land.  The church is still raising money, but it will likely be into next year before they break ground.  It is a longer team play than maybe originally thought.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:11 pm »

With the talk about an adjacent lot getting redeveloped (Jackson Technical) I wondered what the current status of All Souls moving downtown?  That vacant lot on 6th is such an eyesore.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org