A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:25:53 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Souls moving to East Village?  (Read 38494 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

I really don't see a negative to All Souls moving downtown.  As we try and make our urban core more livable and walkable, one additional gem becomes a convenient place to worship.  As RM said, All Souls has programs going on 7 nights a week which will bring people into downtown.  That may be the final deciding factor in someone wanting to buy a $200,000 loft condo, or rent a unit at the Mayo or Philtower.  That also brings people looking for something to eat or drink before or after an activity there as well as even more people for after church activities on Sundays.

I honestly don't see how an additional church, especially with a more progressive leaning can be a bad thing for downtown.  There's a lot of fallow land down there waiting for development.  If the land All Souls wants isn't already under contract, it could sit empty for years.  Instead, it may well inspire additional development around the area by taking the first step.  I'd be far more concerned as to the type of development which will happen on the present church site if they move than what they will do with their site in downtown.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

As to the "sitting empty" argument - yes, I would rather see that spot sit empty a few more years and get a great use than one that is only so so.  All of the downtown development I hope to see cannot and will not happen instantaneously.  

I would like to put a medium size manufacturing facility there.  But that ain't gonna happen...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:23 pm »

Here is a link to the calendar at All Souls

This church has seven days a week and seven nights a week stuff happening.

That place is hopping!  What happens after January 1?  No more schedule shown....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 03:43:11 pm »

I would like to put a medium size manufacturing facility there.  But that ain't gonna happen...

Until recently there was a building on that lot that would have been perfect for that kind of use. It sat empty for decades.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »

Is there a religion that you don't want to offend?

Well I think they all are pretty strange.  

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:27 pm »

I really don't see a negative to All Souls moving downtown.  As we try and make our urban core more livable and walkable, one additional gem becomes a convenient place to worship.  As RM said, All Souls has programs going on 7 nights a week which will bring people into downtown.  That may be the final deciding factor in someone wanting to buy a $200,000 loft condo, or rent a unit at the Mayo or Philtower.  That also brings people looking for something to eat or drink before or after an activity there as well as even more people for after church activities on Sundays.

I honestly don't see how an additional church, especially with a more progressive leaning can be a bad thing for downtown.  There's a lot of fallow land down there waiting for development.  If the land All Souls wants isn't already under contract, it could sit empty for years.  Instead, it may well inspire additional development around the area by taking the first step.  I'd be far more concerned as to the type of development which will happen on the present church site if they move than what they will do with their site in downtown.

+1
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »

Well I think they all are pretty strange.  

Equal Opportunity Abuser.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »

Until recently there was a building on that lot that would have been perfect for that kind of use. It sat empty for decades.

Probably wanted a ton of money for it just for the land value.  I will just have to move to Nowata, I guess.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

Equal Opportunity Abuser.

Finding something strange doesn't amount to abuse. 

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »

Here is a link to the calendar at All Souls

https://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/allsoulschurch.org/embed?src=allsoulschurch.org_cjsdlkjdmufkb0d8kpupkevmb8@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Chicago+&gsessionid=OK

This church has seven days a week and seven nights a week stuff happening.

You mean God works 24/7 ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »

You mean God works 24/7 ?

I thought God took off on the 7th day.  That would leave 24/6.   This also assumes your 24 is hours and 7 is days per week.   It could be 24 hour/week and 6 weeks per year.   Grin

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »

Where this is planned I don't see it hurting downtown. If its licensing for future developments we fear maybe we should change our laws (liquor) and allow flexibility in urban areas. I like this move, it frees up good space and takes over land that would otherwise see no development for a few decades. Win-win

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »

Where this is planned I don't see it hurting downtown. If its licensing for future developments we fear maybe we should change our laws (liquor) and allow flexibility in urban areas. I like this move, it frees up good space and takes over land that would otherwise see no development for a few decades. Win-win

The UU church is really progressive.  Maybe they could apply for waivers for liquor stores, strip clubs and whorehouses within a 500 ft. radius. Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:38 am »

I think its symptomatic of the cultural problems in this state when there could even be the notion of equating a liquor store with a whore house or strip club.  Not to pick on Conan here one bit, but I hear similar comments on a regular basis.  One of the things that irks me is when I suggest going out to dinner and having a drink, or even mention having a drink some comment from someone always pops up showing that automatically in their mind drinking equals over drinking, or getting drunk, buzzed, wasted, etc.  Thats not the case with all people, families, countries and cultures.  Recently read an article where the French are lamenting the horrible habit of binge drinking that is starting to rear its head there with their youth, they blame it on the British lol.  Having a glass of wine is traditionally no different than having a cup of coffee.  A liquor store no different than say a coffee store. 

Its telling that about TEN TIMES more people in this state are killed each year from food related causes (again its our culture, not the foods fault) versus alchohol related causes, yet we are not banning food as some sinful item that cant be sold on a Sunday or within 500 feet of a church or that we don't want our children to see in a store. 

Rather than create a culture in which we eat and drink responsibly and healthily (people who drink alchohol in a healthy manner live longer healthier lives than those who do not drink it at all), we cultivate a culture that does just the opposite.  In the case of alchohol, we actually enshrine and enforce in law unhealthy ways of looking at and thinking about alchohol.   

Was listening to something on the radio a while back about a Canadian college that has free beer and wine out for its newly enrolling students and how alchohol is served in the cafeteria and can be had on campus.  One of the professors mentioned how he can always tell a US student by how they act compared to the Canadian students.  The US students will often act suprised and go wacko, over-drink, act tupid, etc. but then with time they "acclimate" to the idea and begin to drink alchohol more normally like the Canadian students whose families often drink alchohol with meals and to whom alchohol is no big deal, just an every day thing.   

Now of course there are people who have addiction problems, sometimes with genetic propensities.  And yes, the same can be said for food as well. But regardless, rather than create a culture that looks out for that percentage of people and creates ways of helping them, we act as if it's a problem for everyone, its bad and sinful for everyone. Or worse yet we create a culture in which even the average person considers alchohol something to be abused or drunk in an unhealthy fashion.  Course we do that with food and sodas in this state so I suppose what else could we expect?

The culture needs to change.  The change starts with you and me, our habits, and how we talk about and relate to food and alchohol. 

I often hear on here about how lame our liquor laws are, but the sad thing to me is that I often don't hear a corresponding "attitude" change as well.  Imho it's going to be hard to be convincing otherwise.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 10:39:42 am »

I think its symptomatic of the cultural problems in this state when there could even be the notion of equating a liquor store with a whore house or strip club.  Not to pick on Conan here one bit, but I hear similar comments on a regular basis.  One of the things that irks me is when I suggest going out to dinner and having a drink, or even mention having a drink some comment from someone always pops up showing that automatically in their mind drinking equals over drinking, or getting drunk, buzzed, wasted, etc.  Thats not the case with all people, families, countries and cultures.  Recently read an article where the French are lamenting the horrible habit of binge drinking that is starting to rear its head there with their youth, they blame it on the British lol.  Having a glass of wine is traditionally no different than having a cup of coffee.  A liquor store no different than say a coffee store. 

Its telling that about TEN TIMES more people in this state are killed each year from food related causes (again its our culture, not the foods fault) versus alchohol related causes, yet we are not banning food as some sinful item that cant be sold on a Sunday or within 500 feet of a church or that we don't want our children to see in a store. 

Rather than create a culture in which we eat and drink responsibly and healthily (people who drink alchohol in a healthy manner live longer healthier lives than those who do not drink it at all), we cultivate a culture that does just the opposite.  In the case of alchohol, we actually enshrine and enforce in law unhealthy ways of looking at and thinking about alchohol.   

Was listening to something on the radio a while back about a Canadian college that has free beer and wine out for its newly enrolling students and how alchohol is served in the cafeteria and can be had on campus.  One of the professors mentioned how he can always tell a US student by how they act compared to the Canadian students.  The US students will often act suprised and go wacko, over-drink, act tupid, etc. but then with time they "acclimate" to the idea and begin to drink alchohol more normally like the Canadian students whose families often drink alchohol with meals and to whom alchohol is no big deal, just an every day thing.   

Now of course there are people who have addiction problems, sometimes with genetic propensities.  And yes, the same can be said for food as well. But regardless, rather than create a culture that looks out for that percentage of people and creates ways of helping them, we act as if it's a problem for everyone, its bad and sinful for everyone. Or worse yet we create a culture in which even the average person considers alchohol something to be abused or drunk in an unhealthy fashion.  Course we do that with food and sodas in this state so I suppose what else could we expect?

The culture needs to change.  The change starts with you and me, our habits, and how we talk about and relate to food and alchohol. 

I often hear on here about how lame our liquor laws are, but the sad thing to me is that I often don't hear a corresponding "attitude" change as well.  Imho it's going to be hard to be convincing otherwise.

Here! Here!  I'll drink to that!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org