A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:06:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Souls moving to East Village?  (Read 38497 times)
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 10:44:16 am »

You really think All Souls is going to build a tin building?

My three year's experience in church building tells me it will be an EIFS-clad metal building.  Or be some sort of mix of custom and pre-engineered building like Asbury UMC.  I'm sure their business plan includes being twice as big as they are now.  The inexpensive cost of pre-engineered metal buildings will be tough to beat for new construction. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

All Souls has money.  I imagine it will be a very nice building.  Just curious to see their site plan.  Will the main entrance face 6th with most parking across the street to the north (next to the Nordam property)?  Improving the connection between downtown and the Pearl is a big deal and this contributes to improving that connection on the main corridor, 6th Street, especially if the main entrance is on 6th, the sidewalks are improved, and some trees are planted.  There is plenty of room for expansion if they want to add more space across Frankfort to the west for a school, or yoga studio, or whatever..

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:57:42 am »

There is plenty of room for expansion if they want to add more space across Frankfort to the west for a school, or yoga studio, or whatever..

That makes me a happy panda!  I have to say if they wer a bit like first pres and invested the money into some really community outreach options. that would be most definitly bitchin'!

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 12:11:29 pm »

That makes me a happy panda!  I have to say if they wer a bit like first pres and invested the money into some really community outreach options. that would be most definitly bitchin'!

All Souls, more than most churches, is a community center with all sorts of outreach programs and events.  They are one of the most active churches in the city.  You could build a community around such a church, especially if they have a day school (which could also serve the nearby Pearl), gymnasium, community garden, etc.  There is a school at the current Brookside location, is it operated by the church?  Would it move as well? 

I do wonder what church would take its place in Maple Ridge..

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »

Will the main entrance face 6th with most parking across the street to the north (next to the Nordam property)?  

Many congregations face east during their faith services.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 01:37:33 pm »

All Souls, more than most churches, is a community center with all sorts of outreach programs and events.  They are one of the most active churches in the city.  You could build a community around such a church, especially if they have a day school (which could also serve the nearby Pearl), gymnasium, community garden, etc.  There is a school at the current Brookside location, is it operated by the church?  Would it move as well? 

I do wonder what church would take its place in Maple Ridge..

I don't know why it wouldn't.  Channing Day School (Montessori program) has been there for well over 40 years. 

I'm a CDS alumni  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »

This sounds exciting. Hopefully they build a quality structure like First Pres. and don't add any surface parking. A church can help start a community, as long as it does not demand that community be parking.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

Enough Churches Downtown....

Let's just draw a district line around them and call it the Church District....no mosques and synagogues?

The Units might need a $30 mill donor like First Pres has....
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:54 pm »

I don't know why it wouldn't.  Channing Day School (Montessori program) has been there for well over 40 years. 

I'm a CDS alumni  Wink

i am to assume this is the origin of your political indoctrination? Roll Eyes
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

Could explain my liberal tendencies on social issues.  It's just pure selfishness that makes me a fiscal conservative.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 10:59:56 pm »

Hey, at least he's not a jackass about it like some others I could name. I like to think several years of Montessori with some nuns in Fort Smith contributed to my not being a total jackass.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »

Indeed, it can limit the other types of developments that can occur around these locations.

Considering this area of downtown has been the subject of many conversations on future development, is anyone familiar enough with Tulsa zoning restrictions, etc... to explain what is not allowed to be built/housed near (how near?) a church?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »

Considering this area of downtown has been the subject of many conversations on future development, is anyone familiar enough with Tulsa zoning restrictions, etc... to explain what is not allowed to be built/housed near (how near?) a church?

Strip clubs
liquor stores
bars (restaurants with a bar are fine)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 08:29:00 pm »

Strip clubs
liquor stores
bars (restaurants with a bar are fine)

Damn, there go all my business opportunities...

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »

Will they be on the park that Land Legacy is working on?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org