A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:19:33 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Souls moving to East Village?  (Read 38444 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

from http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=18&articleid=20110914_18_A13_CUTLIN620109
1,800-member All Souls Unitarian Church mulls moving downtown

by: BILL SHERMAN World Religion Writer
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
9/14/2011 8:16:46 AM

All Souls Unitarian Church, the world's largest Unitarian Universalist congregation, is considering relocating to downtown Tulsa after more than a half-century in Maple Ridge.

The plan, which requires congregational approval, would put the church on a full city block between Frankfort and Kenosha avenues and Sixth and Seventh streets in an area sometimes called the East Village.

The Rev. Marlin Lavanhar, the church's senior minister, said the congregation has outgrown its present location at 2952 S. Peoria Ave.

He said the congregation has nearly doubled - to 1,800 members - since he arrived in 2000.

The 400-seat sanctuary is often overfilled for two Sunday morning services, and parking, Sunday school space and office space are not sufficient, Lavanhar said.

Jim Perrault, president of the church's board of trustees, said the idea of becoming a part of the recent downtown renaissance has strong appeal.

"Returning to its roots in downtown also fits the church's growing membership, who come from all parts of the city rather than just the midtown area," he said.

All Souls began as a downtown church in the 1920s, first meeting in the Tulsa Tribune Building and then moving to the old City Hall on Fourth Street and several other downtown sites. It moved to Maple Ridge in 1958.

Perrault said a group of church members holds an option to buy the downtown property on behalf of the church, contingent upon approval of the congregation. A vote is expected before the end of the year, when the option expires.

The site, which is now an empty field, is directly across the street from a proposed 5 1/2-acre park.

All Souls developed a master plan in 2007-08 to expand on its present site, with the help of the Hastings & Chivetta architectural firm, Perrault said.

As the economy slowed, those plans were put on hold. This year, as church leaders reviewed those plans, they began to consider relocating and looked for land downtown.

"The process led members of the planning committee to the planners of the proposed East Village development and ultimately to the site under consideration," Perrault said.

"Today, together, we enter our process of discerning the future of All Souls Unitarian Church," he told the congregation Sunday in presenting the plan.

Lavanhar said his role is not to take sides but to "help the congregation have a good, open conversation about this decision."

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

And that would leave a great site for about 30 or so Tuscan villas all jammed together right there on Peoria.  Oh joy!!!

Seriously, I think this would be a great development for downtown and could be a cornerstone of more good things to come for the east end.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:12 am »

Glad you posted this. 

I like the idea very much . . . though, as a guy who uses the 7th St. offramp, having much more congestion in that area gives me heart palpitations. 
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:36:37 am »

Glad you posted this. 

I like the idea very much . . . though, as a guy who uses the 7th St. offramp, having much more congestion in that area gives me heart palpitations. 

Not much usage of All Souls during the week. Won't bother daily traffic much. I will miss their signs on Peoria.

Is it wise to put so many progressive liberal types easily accessible all in one location downtown?

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:36:57 am »

Enough Churches Downtown....

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:37 am »

Agree.  But a church is slightly better than an empty lot, even if it doesn't generate any property tax.   Wink

It will be interesting to see what their site plans look like i.e. orientation of building, surrounding parking, etc.  It will also be interesting to see who ends up buying the existing church on Peoria.  It is a beautiful piece of property in a great neighborhood location.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:12:49 am »

I don't like this move to downtown.  While I think the existing downtown churches add to the the architecture and beauty of downtown, I don't think more churches is the best use of the space.  Something may be better than nothing on a currently empty lot in the short run, but I don't think more churces (or the exapansion of the existing churches) is really going to bring the long-term development we hope to see in this area.  Indeed, it can limit the other types of developments that can occur around these locations.

However, given that congregants have an option to purchase the land, it really doesn't much matter what I think.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:26 am »

This is a church that has activities many nights a week. Tonight they have a free concert put on by Jacob Fred Jazz Oddessy. They also have concerts with great artists on some Fridays. The church also hosts great events like a lecture and program by TulsaWorld cartoonist later this month.

They have activities this week every night that include everything from pilates and yoga to classes on eastern religions. I have been to many a political discussion at this church.

They want to build on an empty lot tucked into east downtown up against the highway. They will bring new life to a vacant part of downtown. How can anyone not think this is a good thing?

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:32:26 am »

Based on it's location between two main entry points into downtown, I'm more concerned with aesthetics than contents.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:33:58 am »

Based on it's location between two main entry points into downtown, I'm more concerned with aesthetics than contents.

Yeah, those empty lots just scream, "Welcome to Tulsa".

Power is nothing till you use it.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:15 am »

And parking lots
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:39 am »

Yeah, those empty lots just scream, "Welcome to Tulsa".

Currently they don't, but given the $$$ being spent on "gateway projects" (including right next to this spot on both sides) I don't want a tin building.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:16 am »

This is a church that has activities many nights a week. Tonight they have a free concert put on by Jacob Fred Jazz Oddessy. They also have concerts with great artists on some Fridays. The church also hosts great events like a lecture and program by TulsaWorld cartoonist later this month.

They have activities this week every night that include everything from pilates and yoga to classes on eastern religions. I have been to many a political discussion at this church.

They want to build on an empty lot tucked into east downtown up against the highway. They will bring new life to a vacant part of downtown. How can anyone not think this is a good thing?

Well, I wouldn't be able to build a strip club or liquor store next door.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:02 am »

Ok so, at least that area is already surrounded by parking.  Anything they knock down will be minimal.  I know I'm being cynical but look at BAUMC FUMC FBS and even trinity (they knocked down a parking garage to build surface parking).  At least the touchy feely unitarians might listen to reason.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 10:01:54 am »

Currently they don't, but given the $$$ being spent on "gateway projects" (including right next to this spot on both sides) I don't want a tin building.

You really think All Souls is going to build a tin building?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org