A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:46:51 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conrad's in Bixby is closing  (Read 5599 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:47 am »

Sad to see it go.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:32 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Bixbys_Conrad_Farms_to_close_in_October/20130722_46_0_Bixbys149536?subj=297

Bixby’s Conrad Farms will sell its last crops this year and close down its multi-generational farm and market.

Co-owner Vernon Conrad said he and his brothers Eugene and Melvin have decided to sell the market and its 400-acre vegetable farm and retire on Oct. 1.

“We’re all getting old. They want to retire and I want to retire,” said Vernon Conrad. “Maybe I’ll get a chance to take a little vacation.”

The Conrads have operated farms in the Bixby area since 1931 and started selling year-round from their Memorial Drive market in 1974.

The family has already sold several tractors and will sell the rest before or shortly after the last melons and peas are harvested in the coming months.

The Conrads have about 400 acres of farms on 151st Street West between Memorial Drive and Sheridan Road.

Conrad said they plan to sell the farmland, which has been highly coveted by local developers in a city that has turned from a country farm town into a booming suburb.

Copyright 2013 Tulsa World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »

Very disappointed to see this place go the way of "progress".

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »

Well I guess old age is part of progress. I hope the Brothers get to enjoy the rest of their life not working so hard.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

Conrad said they plan to sell the farmland, which has been highly coveted by local developers in a city that has turned from a country farm town into a booming suburb.
CRAP, more traffic on Memorial.  Those people wanting to live 5 feet from their neighbor should find some infill spots in Tulsa.

On a better note:
Vegetable and pepper plant wise, Carmichael's still seems to be going well.  (SW corner at the traffic light at 148th & Memorial)
http://goo.gl/maps/l3PPW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org