A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:04:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy House-Chinese Food  (Read 14350 times)
ZYX
Philanthropist

« on: September 07, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: 111th and Memorial
Date/Time of Visit: September 3rd 2011
Quality of Food (1-5): 4
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 4.5
Price ($-$$$$$):$$
What makes this restaurant unique: The owners are extremely friendly, and speak Mandrin to each other. Inside of restaurant is pretty bland, but that's not a big deal.

Tell us about your experience: We carried out, ordering a ton of food for about $50. We didn't really know how much to get, and walked out with way too much food. They really cram it in there. I recommend Happy House to anyone craving some really good Chinese food at a reasOnable price.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: 111th and Memorial
Date/Time of Visit: September 3rd 2011
Quality of Food (1-5): 4
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 4.5
Price ($-$$$$$):$$
What makes this restaurant unique: The owners are extremely friendly, and speak Mandrin to each other. Inside of restaurant is pretty bland, but that's not a big deal.

Tell us about your experience: We carried out, ordering a ton of food for about $50. We didn't really know how much to get, and walked out with way too much food. They really cram it in there. I recommend Happy House to anyone craving some really good Chinese food at a reasOnable price.

The wife, kids and I have eaten there twice. The first time was very good. The last was about a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Each dish we had was too salty and the egg rolls tasted like they had freezer burn. The place was also far too hot inside. I don't think they had the AC on at all and the thermostat on the wall was reading 93.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:20 pm »

I eat at this place at least once a week; so much so that they recognize my freakin voice when I call for carry out. First place that when I order something to my heat level needs that complies.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:15:28 am »

For cheap Chinese food it's good. I usually get Pineapple chicken or Cashew chicken. Egg drop soup is tasty.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:51:12 pm »

For cheap Chinese food it's good. I usually get Pineapple chicken or Cashew chicken. Egg drop soup is tasty.

There's a joke about egg drop soup and a hot tub, but I digress...

"Paging Breadburner, paging Breadburner..."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:53:31 am »

I eat at this place at least once a week; so much so that they recognize my freakin voice when I call for carry out. First place that when I order something to my heat level needs that complies.

Spice heat or temperature heat?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:22:08 am »

Is there an authentic Chinese restaurant in Tulsa?  No egg rolls, lemon chicken, fried won tons, etc but real dim sum and other authentic dishes.  15th St Wok used to be pretty close (and was sooo good).  Just curious.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:22 pm »

Spice heat or temperature heat?

Spice heat. I am on record as being an absolute chili head.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:41:09 pm »

Spice heat. I am on record as being an absolute chili head.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »

Ah yes, cock sauce.  I believe that's a food group by itself, isn't it?

Guido, how are the Big Jim's working out?  FMC and I had some amazing rellenos last night.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »

Ah yes, cock sauce.  I believe that's a food group by itself, isn't it?

Guido, how are the Big Jim's working out?  FMC and I had some amazing rellenos last night.

Fantastic. I wash and eat them as they are. Going to make rellenos this week, then make a pork verde chili. Thanks again for getting them for me and our chat last week.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »

Fantastic. I wash and eat them as they are. Going to make rellenos this week, then make a pork verde chili. Thanks again for getting them for me and our chat last week.

Here's FMC's method of making them: oven roast till the skins start to puff.  Remove outer skin, split down one side and get as much in the way of seeds out as possible.  Stuff with spicy monterrey jack cheese, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in Panko, then fry in the skillet to golden brown.  We had both red and green chile sauce on top.  Damn that was good...right out of Taos or Santa Fe!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:49 pm »

Here's FMC's method of making them: oven roast till the skins start to puff.  Remove outer skin, split down one side and get as much in the way of seeds out as possible.  Stuff with spicy monterrey jack cheese, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in Panko, then fry in the skillet to golden brown.  We had both red and green chile sauce on top.  Damn that was good...right out of Taos or Santa Fe!

That's my recipe, down to the Panko. I like that because it doesn't overpower the pepper like an AP flour or batter recipe could. In fact, except for chicken, I pan/deep fry everything in Panko. Try it on eggplant parm.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:10 pm »

There is a Happy House in Broken Arrow - don't know if it is related, but they are pretty good, too.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

That's my recipe, down to the Panko. I like that because it doesn't overpower the pepper like an AP flour or batter recipe could. In fact, except for chicken, I pan/deep fry everything in Panko. Try it on eggplant parm.

Panko on a chicken fried rib eye or NY Strip is truly decadent.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org