A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:57:55 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa metro population growth.  (Read 60427 times)
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2021, 09:44:10 am »

But that doesn't explain Tulsa's metro population growth rate being just over 1/2 that of OKC's.

I didn't say that it did.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2021, 01:26:35 pm »

2010-2020 Population growth of Tulsa and its peer urbanized areas (based on urbanized areas, See Reply #97, above):

Sorted by population of Urbanized Area:
Omaha:  10.28%
Albuquerque:  4.12%
Birmingham:  2.91%
Sarasota/Bradenton:  21.7%
Dayton OH:  1.25%
Rochester NY:  -1.13%
Fresno CA:  7.57%
Tulsa OK:  7.35%
Allentown PA:  3.08%
Cape Coral FL:  27.8%
Charleston SC:  23.33%
Colorado Springs:  16.76%
Springfield MA:  0.37%

Sorted by Growth Rate:
Cape Coral FL:  27.8%
Sarasota/Bradenton:  21.7%
Colorado Springs:  16.7%
Omaha:  10.28%
Fresno CA:  7.57%
Albuquerque:  4.12%
Birmingham:  2.91%
Allentown PA:  3.08%
Dayton OH:  1.25%
Springfield MA:  0.37%
Rochester NY:  -1.13%

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2021, 10:47:46 pm »

2010-2020 Population growth of Tulsa and its peer urbanized areas (based on urbanized areas, See Reply #97, above):

Sorted by Growth Rate:

One of my cousins and her husband are retired and moved from Charleston SC to North Carolina to extract themselves from the congestion.  They had lived in Charleston for a long time.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2021, 01:24:57 pm »

I didn't say that it did.

He's just bitter about anything I say so if you ever somewhat agree with me he'll attack you and try to troll you by twisting what you say. Anyone with reading and comprehension skills (things he's lacking severely on) knows that's not what you said.

So yeah, OKC certainly reaped the benefit of the shale oil/gas boom becoming a place where many of these E&P companies decided to set up shop, but the flip side of that is what has happened in the past few years when that flips to a bust cycle. There have been multiple bankruptcies and they have lost thousands of jobs.

It will be interesting to see what their growth rate looks like in the next five years if there's no big change in oil/drilling and if it slows down at all. It looks like most of the people that came to OKC through those companies have mostly stayed and just found jobs with other firms or other industries where they could. Even though most of those companies were a house of cards like you said it's very likely they changed OKC for the better for a long time to come by changing the perception of OKC. Most of my friends that went to work for all those firms have all stayed in OKC and found other jobs - most that didn't pay as much but were worthwhile enough to not pack up and move. Probably one of the biggest blows to OKC was when Aubrey died, he was about the only oil CEO who was remotely generous in giving to public causes (even though it wasn't really his money to be giving out, but that's another topic). He kick started so many quality of life projects like the boathouse district, etc. Most of their elite are not very giving compared to other cities. 
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2021, 01:21:52 pm »

It will be interesting to see what their growth rate looks like in the next five years if there's no big change in oil/drilling and if it slows down at all.

It's already coming back. Most forecasters have U.S. oil/gas production reaching pre-pandemic levels by late 2022/early 2023, assuming WTI stays in the $50-60 range. Honestly the bigger question (and this is for Tulsa too) is what happens over the next 20-30 years renewables take a larger and larger slice of the energy pie.

Will those companies (including mine, lol) position themselves to succeed with renewables or continue doubling down on fossil fuels? Natural gas probably has the most legs of the fossil fuels with its role as a baseload for power generation and using natural gas liquids as a cheap feedstock for plastics. Coal will be gone by the mid 2030s and crude oil demand will also likely start falling late in the decade.

Will the state work to position Tulsa and OKC as key hubs for renewable energy?

I have little to no faith that the state will do anything, but hopefully the companies will.

Probably one of the biggest blows to OKC was when Aubrey died, he was about the only oil CEO who was remotely generous in giving to public causes (even though it wasn't really his money to be giving out, but that's another topic). He kick started so many quality of life projects like the boathouse district, etc. Most of their elite are not very giving compared to other cities.  

That's interesting. I don't know that much about it. It is surprising though, since I feel like that's always been kind of a big deal in Tulsa, going all the way back to Waite Phillips and the Skelly brothers to the Williams brothers to George Kaiser.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 01:25:02 pm by Jeff P » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2021, 06:13:32 pm »

Tulsa MSA reaches 1,015,331 for a growth rate of 8.3% since 2010.  I didn’t see the city population figures, have those been released?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2021, 06:27:25 pm »

Tulsa MSA reaches 1,015,331 for a growth rate of 8.3% since 2010.  I didn’t see the city population figures, have those been released?

Yes, and Tulsa's estimated population loss the last few years doesn't seem to have been real.

2019 estimate - 401,190
2020 actual - 413,066

So Tulsa grew a slow, but respectable,  21,062 or 5.4% since 2010.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/owassocityoklahoma,tulsacityoklahoma,brokenarrowcityoklahoma,bixbycityoklahoma,jenkscityoklahoma/PST045219
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:32:39 pm by swake » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2021, 07:16:44 pm »

Yes, and Tulsa's estimated population loss the last few years doesn't seem to have been real.

2019 estimate - 401,190
2020 actual - 413,066

So Tulsa grew a slow, but respectable,  21,062 or 5.4% since 2010.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/owassocityoklahoma,tulsacityoklahoma,brokenarrowcityoklahoma,bixbycityoklahoma,jenkscityoklahoma/PST045219

Well that's some good news.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2021, 10:15:26 pm »

Making the prediction now that growth between 2020-2030 will reach 10%.  That would mean a ton of new infill as well as significant new residential growth in east and northwest Tulsa.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2021, 10:21:23 pm »

Making the prediction now that growth between 2020-2030 will reach 10%.  That would mean a ton of new infill as well as significant new residential growth in east and northwest Tulsa.

Are you including the suburbs as part of Tulsa?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2021, 10:25:13 pm »

I will doubt that. Most growth in the city of Tulsa will be infill downtown and midtown with new growth in southwest Tulsa in the Jenks school district. Tulsa needs to annex the area of far north Tulsa along US-75 in the Owasso district, that should also see growth.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2021, 11:17:53 pm »

I will doubt that. Most growth in the city of Tulsa will be infill downtown and midtown with new growth in southwest Tulsa in the Jenks school district. Tulsa needs to annex the area of far north Tulsa along US-75 in the Owasso district, that should also see growth.

Would the City of Tulsa be prepared to provide services to that area or would it just be a tax base grab?

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2021, 07:19:19 am »

Are you including the suburbs as part of Tulsa?

No just Tulsa city limits.  10% would be an increase of around 40,000 people. Still a lot of land within the city limits that could be developed, specifically far east Tulsa especially parts that are in the BA school district.  If the city can land a big project like a Tesla or Rivian, which would likely be in this area, that would really set it off.

Northwest Tulsa will really start to build up this decade as the Gilcrease Expressway is finished.  Plus continued growth in the southwest to 91st within the Jenks school district and continued infill downtown and north/east of downtown.  The southern and southeastern parts of the city are mostly built-out and parts of north and east Tulsa are losing population due to crime/poverty.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:25:50 am by SXSW » Logged

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2021, 08:04:25 am »

Tulsa's population growth looks fine with me. Most people are focused on OKC's explosive growth, and that's great for them and the state, but Tulsa is moving a fine clip. We don't all need to be the next Manhattan anyway. The burbs are seeing strong growth as usual, and East Tulsa is indeed prime for massive development with all the manufacturing jobs moving into Inola and MidAmerican Industrial Park.

Someone on OKCTalk tried to say Tulsa was "stagnant" which is hilarious and obviously completely wrong based on the numbers and development shown. I guess the interstate rivalry isn't over for everyone.  Roll Eyes

Here's hoping that Sapulpa picks up more growth soon as well. We have a couple new neighborhoods and a new apartment complex going up currently, and a lot of new downtown stuff going on to drive some interest and appeal to the area. I feel like Bixby is getting tapped out just due to traffic. Glenpool is close to the same. Sapulpa is right on 44 though and that is almost done being expanded to six lanes.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2021, 11:30:49 am »

It is interesting seeing the difference in growth for OKC vs Tulsa.  You're right, the OKCTALK forum seems to think Tulsa is on the verge of being unincorporated. That being said, I feel like OKC has a tremendous amount of energy and momentum right now. Would love to see Tulsa capture some of that. Hopefully all of the construction projects kicking off are a positive indicator.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org