A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New site, new look  (Read 127252 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

A lot of that stuff was built with safety factors to allow for slide rules and pencils.  Remember the Lockheed Electra?  Remember 10 mpg cars and the fatality rates for many of those classics? Galloping Gertie bridge?  The fact that there have actually been relatively few disasters (in spite of the TV shows "Engineering Disasters", many of which were management induced) speaks well for my profession.

There are some really valuable tools but a lot of the stuff out there is there because it can be.

Those are exceptions but even so, as you point out they factored in error margins. And often they engineered for the existing parameters which is why my home had no insulation in its walls (natural gas was cheap and plentiful in this area) and why an economy car like the 66 Chevy Nova still got no better than 16mpg with an anemic 6cylinder (gasoline was about 15 cents a gallon).

I love the valuable tools but it seems most are designed to eliminate labor and to increase speed, not improve quality. We still have catastrophes because we keep using humans to direct the computers. Silly species.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »

A lot of that stuff was built with safety factors to allow for slide rules and pencils.  Remember the Lockheed Electra?  Remember 10 mpg cars and the fatality rates for many of those classics? Galloping Gertie bridge?  The fact that there have actually been relatively few disasters (in spite of the TV shows "Engineering Disasters", many of which were management induced) speaks well for my profession.

Let me finish that last sentence properly -  "speaks well for my profession, in spite of everything management tries to do to trip that profession up."

I know...you touched on it, but it deserves explicit explanation. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:52 pm »

I am proud to have taken this thread in this direction. 

Hoss, take notes.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »

I am proud to have taken this thread in this direction. 

Hoss, take notes.

No, you take notes.

Marshall Brewing Company.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:31 pm »

No, you take notes.

Marshall Brewing Company.

that didn't work.  I had another thread jacked for 3 pages, no one mentioned Marshall.

I may be here to re-define the MArshall threadjack...

Marshall....as in Amplification.

Unless you might be saying to me that Marshall Brewing owns this site?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »

that didn't work.  I had another thread jacked for 3 pages, no one mentioned Marshall.

I may be here to re-define the MArshall threadjack...

Marshall....as in Amplification.

Unless you might be saying to me that Marshall Brewing owns this site?

You've not read enough on this site yet.  Keep trying.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

who recommended me to tapatalk?

I just hit the "purchase" button, then phone restart.  Then tapatalk did NOT appear on apps list.

I been around boareds, and I read "enough"
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »

who recommended me to tapatalk?

I just hit the "purchase" button, then phone restart.  Then tapatalk did NOT appear on apps list.

I been around boareds, and I read "enough"

"Boareds"?

Why did you restart the phone?  Not needed with Android.  If you purchased it, you can download it again as long as it says 'purchased' in the Market/Google Play.

dbacks fan
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2012, 12:43:31 am »

A lot of that stuff was built with safety factors to allow for slide rules and pencils.  Remember the Lockheed Electra?  Remember 10 mpg cars and the fatality rates for many of those classics?

Remember the DeHavilland Comet? One important note on this was that the problems were a result of not understanding metal fatigue at key points in the fuselage mainly around the windows. But it was an absolute marvel in it's time.

http://plane-truth.com/comet.htm
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2012, 06:43:41 am »

Remember the DeHavilland Comet? One important note on this was that the problems were a result of not understanding metal fatigue at key points in the fuselage mainly around the windows. But it was an absolute marvel in it's time.

http://plane-truth.com/comet.htm

The relatively sharp corner radii were a factor in the fatigue.  That's why airliners all have well rounded (large radii) window corners now.  Yep, except for the crashes, the Comet was a big step forward in transportation.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:30 am »

The relatively sharp corner radii were a factor in the fatigue.  That's why airliners all have well rounded (large radii) window corners now.  Yep, except for the crashes, the Comet was a big step forward in transportation.

Yeah...falling out of the sky is always a detriment to air travel.

It was such a good looking plane, though.  Always liked the engine shape.  Not sure it can be called a nacelle since it is so closely tied to the wing, but beautiful!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:44 am »

Why did you restart the phone?  Not needed with Android.  If you purchased it, you can download it again as long as it says 'purchased' in the Market/Google Play.

I didn't restart the phone, it restarted itself. I hit the "purchase" button and then the phone restarted. i.e. something went wrong, badly wrong.  If I get billed for it, then very badly wrong.

Maybe I'll give it another try though.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:30 am »

I didn't restart the phone, it restarted itself. I hit the "purchase" button and then the phone restarted. i.e. something went wrong, badly wrong.  If I get billed for it, then very badly wrong.

Maybe I'll give it another try though.

If you got billed for it, you can redownload it FOR NOTHING.  Once you purchase it, it's yours.

TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2012, 06:51:41 am »

If you got billed for it, you can redownload it FOR NOTHING.  Once you purchase it, it's yours.

I didn't purchase it.  It's not on my phone... just saying, there seemed to be a fatal error. 

That being the case, IF I got billed for it, but I personally have no record of install, then no, although I'm sure tMo will be happy to reversed the charge.

But I doubt the purchase went through. anyway, maybe I'll try again.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:37 am »

I didn't purchase it.  It's not on my phone... just saying, there seemed to be a fatal error. 

That being the case, IF I got billed for it, but I personally have no record of install, then no, although I'm sure tMo will be happy to reversed the charge.

But I doubt the purchase went through. anyway, maybe I'll try again.

If you have the option to have the purchase billed to your credit card/debit card, that's how I do mine.  I don't trust the carrier for billing on the regular billing half the time.  Let alone app purchases.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org