A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:57:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New site, new look  (Read 127871 times)
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »

Machine reliability, seamless sharing amongst devices, and the freedom from Bill Gates Windows-based lock ups has been worth the extra $$.

well I don't know how vitriolic the mac/pc fights get on here, but I have to break it to you, my android does all that...

...and I mean take the sharing and specifically music for example.  Amazon MP3 has cloud...AND drm free, .mp3 format.  So I mean to say your version of "seamless" does come with some caveats, does it not?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2012, 03:13:46 pm »

well I don't know how vitriolic the mac/pc fights get on here, but I have to break it to you, my android does all that...

...and I mean take the sharing and specifically music for example.  Amazon MP3 has cloud...AND drm free, .mp3 format.  So I mean to say your version of "seamless" does come with some caveats, does it not?

Yeah, but do you have iPrideWink

Actually, we rarely bring it up, it’s more a tongue-in-cheek thing here and I’m pretty daft when it comes to technology.  I probably don’t use even 1/2 the capability of any electronic device I own.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »

I probably don’t use even 1/2 the capability of any electronic device I own.

It's OK, I'm using the other half.  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »

I probably don’t use even 1/2 the capability of any electronic device I own.

My phone can land airplanes ands bake potatoes

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »

My phone makes phone calls!

Mac and PC discussions remind me of the stencil on the back window of pickup trucks of the little guy pissing on the logo of the "other guy"....either Ford or Chevy.

About the same mentality level, too.

Anything anyone gets is gonna do some things better than the other and some worse.  Just depends on what you want to do.  Mostly it's "I am a iSomething fan" or "I'm a PC."  Goofy.

I've used Macs for work on a major bomber project and use PCs for a bunch of other stuff.  And use an antique Nokia phone to make phone calls.  All work well for the jobs.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:42:54 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »

My phone makes phone calls!

Mac and PC discussions remind me of the stencil on the back window of pickup trucks of the little guy pissing on the logo of the "other guy"....either Ford or Chevy.

About the same mentality level, too.

Anything anyone gets is gonna do some things better than the other and some worse.  Just depends on what you want to do.  Mostly it's "I am a iSomething fan" or "I'm a PC."  Goofy.

I always look at it this way.

Those people who are not tinkerers will choose the iPhone.  It's simple to use and damn near dummy proof.

Those who do tinker will get an Android.

Those who want to pull their hair out will get a BlackBerry.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:32 pm »

Those people who are not tinkerers will choose the iPhone.  It's simple to use and damn near dummy proof.

Those who do tinker will get an Android.

Those who want to pull their hair out will get a BlackBerry.

That's why I stick with the Nokia.  No drama.  No trauma.  Just phone calls.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:47 pm »

Just revealed why I love my iStuff.  Especially the damn near dummy proof part.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2012, 11:24:59 pm »

And use an antique Nokia phone to make phone calls.  All work well for the jobs.

Only having to charge once or twice a week sure is nice, isn't it?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »

look, I'm not a fanboi for anyone, but I think this will explain some...

The common conception that Andriod is for tinkereres and iPhone is for idiots...I mean, it kind of holds some water, however I think it comes down to more along the lines of this:

I had an app on my android 2 years ago that Siri was based on....kind of ironic the iEverything tagline "there's an app for that"...but I had "siri" app 2 years ago on android...but it is the new hot smile now like Apple invented it.

There are many examples, but so many of them can be retrolinked to this basic premise:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:41 pm »

look, I'm not a fanboi for anyone, but I think this will explain some...

The common conception that Andriod is for tinkereres and iPhone is for idiots...I mean, it kind of holds some water, however I think it comes down to more along the lines of this:

I had an app on my android 2 years ago that Siri was based on....kind of ironic the iEverything tagline "there's an app for that"...but I had "siri" app 2 years ago on android...but it is the new hot smile now like Apple invented it.

There are many examples, but so many of them can be retrolinked to this basic premise:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

When PC were early in their popularity, I thought why should I buy software when I could write a quick program myself.  As commercial software became more and more useful, I changed my mind.   Just like most EEs don't design an OP Amp rather than use an available chip, I don't choose to tinker if something is readily available that meets my needs.

TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:12 pm »

When PC were early in their popularity, I thought why should I buy software when I could write a quick program myself.  As commercial software became more and more useful, I changed my mind.   Just like most EEs don't design an OP Amp rather than use an available chip, I don't choose to tinker if something is readily available that meets my needs.

look, Jobs was VERY clear on this...he would NOT give the consumer what they wanted, but instead he would TELL the consumer what they NEEDED.

...and so now I end up having to deal with national companies that WANT my services, but are kind of put off that I can't just click on MSoutlook and see my semi-retired CEO's minute-by-minute schedule (ironic)......then on the conference call (that did not have to be rescheduled) with their sales TECHNICAL support, who is not familiar with FTP.....

I see this all the time.  I had to suffer through a debate between a THS worker and some jackass from Sanfrancisco, and how they would denegrate their respective (PC based) IT Departments...."why can't I get my Exchange emails on my iPad?"

and how it's 2012 alreadty and EVERYONE has an iPad, and you should get on that smile, what kind of operation are you running?....

forgetting that iWhetever holds less that 50% of the phone market, and disregarding that iWhatever only holds 5% of anything else corporately.

but by god my bucking iPad better integrate.............

........because the commercials on TV told me it would.

You feel me?

iEverthing is going to ruin civilization....but when we rise again, first thing we will do is build a bucking Steve Jobs statue.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:02:52 pm by TheMindWillNotLetGo » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:38 am »

thanks for the laughs. You guys confirm to me that more effort is spent on techno crap issues these days than on running businesses. When the toys begin to genuinely get in the way of doing business, get rid of the toys.

Remember, the Golden Gate bridge, submarines, skyscrapers, automobiles and dominating world economies of the 20th century were all built with slide rules, pencils and a population with less than 50% telephone availability and only 15% college grads. We did this before macs, pcs and iphones.

I have to go. My beeper/pager is going off....

onward...through the fog
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:30 am »

Still haven't found a justifiable use for an iPad yet, but that'll happen sooner or later

I have found many for mine. Just buy one now, find a reason later. You can get a good deal in the i2 right now

Grin

No, I don't ever come out if Apple fanboy mode
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:42 am »

thanks for the laughs. You guys confirm to me that more effort is spent on techno crap issues these days than on running businesses. When the toys begin to genuinely get in the way of doing business, get rid of the toys.

Remember, the Golden Gate bridge, submarines, skyscrapers, automobiles and dominating world economies of the 20th century were all built with slide rules, pencils and a population with less than 50% telephone availability and only 15% college grads. We did this before macs, pcs and iphones.

I have to go. My beeper/pager is going off....

A lot of that stuff was built with safety factors to allow for slide rules and pencils.  Remember the Lockheed Electra?  Remember 10 mpg cars and the fatality rates for many of those classics? Galloping Gertie bridge?  The fact that there have actually been relatively few disasters (in spite of the TV shows "Engineering Disasters", many of which were management induced) speaks well for my profession.

There are some really valuable tools but a lot of the stuff out there is there because it can be.

I have to go do some lawn work.  I need to burn some calories and working in the yard is more fun than going to a gym.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org