A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:33:23 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More bikes on the road  (Read 16533 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 11:15:17 am »

Is anyone using the big wire baskets on the front of a bicycle like the newspaper delivery boys (& girls?) did in the 60s?

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »

Is anyone using the big wire baskets on the front of a bicycle like the newspaper delivery boys (& girls?) did in the 60s?

I see front baskets occasionally, but not those big ones. Even on the cruiser bikes that were the rule back then those things were harder than hell to control when full of newspapers. The wheel flop was terrible.

A quick google search shows Wald still makes and sells a "giant delivery basket."

http://waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html

Good luck with that.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:25 pm »

Even on the cruiser bikes that were the rule back then those things were harder than hell to control when full of newspapers. The wheel flop was terrible.

That's why we went fast, to get the gyroscopic stabilization of the bicycle wheels.

I didn't have my own route but several friends did.  I substituted for them when they were out of town, etc. 

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 10:18:25 am »

TO be clear, I am going to be at the pedestrian bridge on sunday @2.  Anyone who wants to do a ride, come along and look at riverparks at its busiest.

See you there!

jacobi, I wont make it this Sunday...push out a week?
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:42 am »

jacobi, I wont make it this Sunday...push out a week?

sure thing.  i'll do both. see you next week.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »

FMC and I should be there next Sunday.  Carlton, you are still on for Weds. night, right?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

Headed OOT...back next week
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:52 am »

Just got back from a western states tour and it is incredible how many cities - and even very small towns - have well developed bike lanes.  And people I saw respect the bikes.  Even out in the middle of nowhere!

Maybe we should just have a requirement that all Okies be required to put in a certain amount of time in a more evolved area of the country.  Kind of a reverse Peace Corp or mission program!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org