A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:06:19 am
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 603310 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #885 on: July 10, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »

Honestly, is there ever a case when an alternative is not an option when a women is pregnant?

Surely this occurs about as often as it necessary to kill a baby in the womb for the health of the mother. In other words, exceedingly rare.

What are you babbling about? The rules state this:

Physicians would not be able to recommend a woman of childbearing age for medical marijuana prescriptions without first performing a pregnancy test.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/marijuana/state-health-board-restricts-dispensaries-from-selling-smokable-marijuana-as/article_4d8c1768-0166-5c80-b60d-4fe91be95a15.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=_Latest%20News&utm_campaign=Latest%20News
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #886 on: July 10, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »

The language still does not prohibit it. Just states that a test must be performed first.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #887 on: July 10, 2018, 08:35:56 pm »

The new state questions are constitutional changes. I'm now going to sign simply because these kinds of games we play in Oklahoma against the will/good of the people pisses me off.

Where does one sign these?

Green the Vote, a group that has circulated multiple failed marijuana petitions in the past, needs to collect about 124,000 valid signatures by Aug. 8. That would put State Question 797 on the Nov. 6 ballot. If the state question is approved by voters, no legislative changes could be made.

For comparison, State Question 788, which legalized medical marijuana in Oklahoma, made it on the June 26 ballot after garnering about 63,000 signatures. Statutory petitions that pass result in laws that are subject to legislative changes. They require far fewer signatures than constitutional petitions.

Because each new petition relates to a proposed constitutional amendment, each requires the collection of around 124,000 signatures by Aug. 8 in order to appear on the November ballot. State Question 788, which outlined the legalization of medical marijuana based on a doctor’s approval without a preset list of conditions, made it on the June 26 ballot after garnering more than 63,000 signatures.

SQ 796 as of Tuesday had just under 60,000 signatures collected and SQ 797 had roughly 65,000, Caviness said.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/marijuana/new-petition-tries-for-recreational-marijuana-as-oklahoma-works-to/article_d90ddf7c-1aa4-5c18-8f8a-0a3b5ab957a8.html

As for the "health experts" banning smoking because of the risks of smoking, please note they arent subjecting tobacco products to the same scrutiny.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »

The irony of course is that, as a result of watering down the medical marijuana initiative into something inert and unworkable, the voters are now compelled to bring to fruition the very thing legislators, big pharma and the police unions feared.

If we get recreational marijuana, we will have the deep-pocketed opposition to medical marijuana to thank for it.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:11:38 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #889 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:16 pm »

The language still does not prohibit it. Just states that a test must be performed first.

Please list the other drugs that require a pregnancy test before a script can be written.

Otherwise this is just punitive crap to make use harder. Like no sales on Sunday. What other drugs can't be sold on Sunday? What is the public need that this rule satisfies?

Because freedom?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #890 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:12 pm »

Pretty good chance this will go to court.

“The board has essentially just handed control of an entire industry to one special interest group. This is not only inappropriate; it is borderline corrupt.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/marijuana/ban-on-dispensary-sale-of-smokables-could-set-up-legal/article_6def4c19-6bf1-5aad-b6b8-3c2a53c25ceb.html

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #891 on: July 10, 2018, 09:10:01 pm »

Please list the other drugs that require a pregnancy test before a script can be written.

Otherwise this is just punitive crap to make use harder. Like no sales on Sunday. What other drugs can't be sold on Sunday? What is the public need that this rule satisfies?

Because freedom?

I'm fine with putting the responsibility on the individual, and not the doctor. Doctors should be able to trust the patient without fear of lawsuits just as much as the patient should be able trust the doctor.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #892 on: July 10, 2018, 09:38:28 pm »

“The board has essentially just handed control of an entire industry to one special interest group. This is not only inappropriate; it is borderline corrupt.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/marijuana/ban-on-dispensary-sale-of-smokables-could-set-up-legal/article_6def4c19-6bf1-5aad-b6b8-3c2a53c25ceb.html

Why am I not surprised. In two years it will be a century since prohibition was enacted, and then in 13 years (2033) it will be a century since the repeal of prohibition, and I'm willing to bet that Oklahoma will still be in the stoneage for liquor laws.

And do they really think that they will get a licensed pharmacist to manage the dispensary? I doubt it.

The buckle of the bible belt strikes again!
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:39 pm »

And do they really think that they will get a licensed pharmacist to manage the dispensary? I doubt it.

Giving someone authority of a government entity for the purpose of crippling that entity is in vogue these days, it would seem.

Dispensaries shall not sell marijuana in smokable form, nor may they be open on Sundays. Dispensary managers must be licensed pharmacists.

Medical marijuana products processed or dispensed shall not have more than 12 percent tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, while mature marijuana plants cannot have THC content that exceeds 20 percent.

Patients younger than 18 would require two pediatrician recommendations for medical marijuana, and pediatric patients would be prohibited from smoking or vaping.

How the Board of Health voted on State Question 788 rules

The state Board of Health, in a controversial 5-4 decision, voted to ban the sale of smokable medical marijuana products at dispensaries.

If Gov. Mary Fallin upholds the rules, patients seeking smokable products will need to grow them at their homes in order to obtain them legally.

The draft rules provided to the public included provisions for the use of smokable medical marijuana, but board member Charles Skillings made a last-minute oral amendment.

The move came a day after the Oklahoma State Medical Association demanded the removal of those provisions, even suggesting it might initiate litigation if they remained.

Here's how each board member voted:

Board President Timothy Starkey, executive director of Great Salt Plains Health Center: yea

Board Vice-President Edward Legako, pediatrician in Lawton and member of board of trustees for Comanche County Memorial Hospital: nay

Treasurer Becky Payton, vice president of operations for Mercy Hospital (at-large board member): nay

Jenny Alexopulos, associate dean of clinical services and Professor of Family Medicine with the Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine: yea - represents Tulsa County

Terry Gerard, Emergency Department Physician at the Medical Center of Southeastern Oklahoma: yea

Charles Grim, Deputy Director of Health Services for the Cherokee Nation: nay

R. Murali Krishna, former president and COO of INTEGRIS Mental Health: yea - represents Oklahoma County

Ronald Osterhout, southwestern Oklahoma agricultural industry member: nay

Charles Skillings, CEO of St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital: yea

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #894 on: July 11, 2018, 07:19:35 am »

No Sunday sales... you know, for medical reasons.

Also, any truth to the Facebook rumor that pharmacists are prohibited from dispensing  Marijuana in Oklahoma? If so, is that just temporary as they come up with new rules or is it simply a deal breaker (pharmacists have access to other drugs Uncle Sam regulates, so it could be a federal thing?).  I'd hate to rely on Facebook for my outrage, surely someone can cure my ignorance.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #895 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:36 am »

No Sunday sales... you know, for medical reasons.

Also, any truth to the Facebook rumor that pharmacists are prohibited from dispensing  Marijuana in Oklahoma? If so, is that just temporary as they come up with new rules or is it simply a deal breaker (pharmacists have access to other drugs Uncle Sam regulates, so it could be a federal thing?).  I'd hate to rely on Facebook for my outrage, surely someone can cure my ignorance.

"All drugs listed in Schedule I have no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States and therefore may not be prescribed, administered, or dispensed for medical use."
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pract/pract_manual012508.pdf

Im pretty sure the Oklahoma Board of Health knows that pharmacists cant legally prescribe a Schedule I drug, so a state law/rule requiring a pharmacist to break federal law seems more like a tactic than an oversight.  

Im wondering if the state board may have actually violated federal law themselves by advising or potentially compelling pharmacists to perform an illegal act?  Certainly that would be cause to remove them from the board.

https://www.drugs.com/csa-schedule.html

Im not sure how individual states "rescheduled" medical marijuana, but ultimately Congress and the DEA need to get their act together so states like Oklahoma cant use them as their excuse.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:32:09 am by patric » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #896 on: July 11, 2018, 09:39:11 am »

The state health board just voted on their rules for medical marijuana.

No selling of "smokable" marijuana.

Say what now?

"Smokable" is not really necessary for truly medicinal purposes, at least to my knowledge.

As long as oil extracts and edibles are on the table and they still allow an acceptable limit on THC for those with insomnia issues, it would be fine.  I did see somewhere they were trying to limit the % of THC in MMJ to 20% or less if I read that right.

I do hear they sell some mighty fine chocolates up in Colorado.

It's funny how much the anti side was losing their collective schitt in the lead up to the Oklahoma vote.  New Mexico is an MMJ state and you would never know it.  I don't even have a clue how the system works here.  There are no dispensaries that I've seen though I have found CBD oils and products in common gift stores.  I can count the number of times I've smelled MJ smoke either as a tourist or resident here on less than five fingers.  Meth, heroin, and opioids still seem to be the crisis here, just like Oklahoma.  Wait, what?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #897 on: July 11, 2018, 10:07:35 am »

"Smokable" is not really necessary for truly medicinal purposes, at least to my knowledge.

As long as oil extracts and edibles are on the table and they still allow an acceptable limit on THC for those with insomnia issues, it would be fine.  I did see somewhere they were trying to limit the % of THC in MMJ to 20% or less if I read that right.

I do hear they sell some mighty fine chocolates up in Colorado.

It's funny how much the anti side was losing their collective schitt in the lead up to the Oklahoma vote.

In Tulsa there was schitt-loosing almost from day one:
https://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomepage1/video-pot-petitioners-say-police-harassment-continues/article_a40c563a-9e7b-51fd-ac14-9365182de3eb.html
but not as physically violent as Sheriff Shrek manhandling people at his "vote no" rally.

As for smokable Vs. edible Vs. pills, the difference is speed of delivery.  Oral consumption might be fine for maintenance but not as effective when someone is having seizures.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:11:57 am by patric » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #898 on: July 11, 2018, 10:55:46 am »

I don't know how the dispensary system worked in Oregon other than if you had a card you got it at the pharmacy, but even before recreational  legalization, I could smell who was carrying or had recently smoked, even sitting at a traffic light. After legalization it was a daily occurrence to smell it, even the people that were vaping could be spotted easily. Vaping became the popular method as you could smoke it in the open and at a distance no one would know if it was tobacco based or pot base, while others would use a sneak a toke or pinch hitter (not that I would know anything about those items) to smoke in public, and public consumption is not legal. It wasn't that more people were doing it, it's just that those that were didn't have to look over their shoulders. 
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #899 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:11 am »

I don't know how the dispensary system worked in Oregon other than if you had a card you got it at the pharmacy, but even before recreational  legalization, I could smell who was carrying or had recently smoked, even sitting at a traffic light. After legalization it was a daily occurrence to smell it, even the people that were vaping could be spotted easily. Vaping became the popular method as you could smoke it in the open and at a distance no one would know if it was tobacco based or pot base, while others would use a sneak a toke or pinch hitter (not that I would know anything about those items) to smoke in public, and public consumption is not legal. It wasn't that more people were doing it, it's just that those that were didn't have to look over their shoulders. 

If the state health board was looking for a way to get itself sued, anger hundreds of thousands of voters and boost the effort to legalize recreational marijuana, mission accomplished.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/editorials/tulsa-world-editorial-health-board-should-reverse-smokable-marijuana-rule/article_9b1e5227-cbac-5720-8d55-33a1d38d5216.html

The medical cannabis rules introduced Tuesday by the Oklahoma State Board of Health surprised many political observers and marijuana industry hopefuls.

Perhaps most surprising was the last-minute introductions of rules that would ban smokable forms and some edibles, and the requirement that retailers employ a pharmacist to dispense marijuana. Oklahomans took to social media to express outrage, including members of the Legislature.

State Rep. Forrest Bennett, D-Oklahoma City, tweeted that the Health Department ignored the will of the people who voted for State Question 788.

"By banning many edible forms and now banning smokable products, they're attacking the spirit of the law," Bennett wrote. "I will do everything I can to correct this, and I'm sure many of my House colleagues feel the same."

House Floor Leader Jon Echols told The Oklahoman that the board blindsided other government officials by adopting rules that had been pushed by the state's medical community.

https://newsok.com/article/5601069/state-agencies-could-lose-power-in-furor-over-new-cannabis-rules

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org