A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:23:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 598089 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #660 on: September 18, 2016, 01:48:26 pm »

claiming that marijuana is a gateway drug is just not right, and based on fear mongering that probably started before your parents were born.

Ohmygawd I agree with dbacksfan.  Shocked

Even Faux News is giving in:

Making medical marijuana legal may lead to a reduction of opioid use in adults under the age of 40, a new study suggests.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/09/16/medical-marijuana-programs-may-help-cut-opioid-use.html

The state's drug czar wants to make fighting opioid abuse a priority.  Ok, here's a plan...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #661 on: September 18, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »

When I was in my early thirties, I had my wisdom teeth removed (some say I never recovered). They gave me such a strong drug to counteract the pain that I actually was unaware of long periods of time. A very pleasant feeling. Until I suddenly awakened on all fours perched over my 8 month old boy and I couldn't remember how or why I was there. These drugs are strong. To put marijuana in that class is hard to understand.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #662 on: September 18, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »

When I was in my early thirties, I had my wisdom teeth removed (some say I never recovered). They gave me such a strong drug to counteract the pain that I actually was unaware of long periods of time. A very pleasant feeling. Until I suddenly awakened on all fours perched over my 8 month old boy and I couldn't remember how or why I was there. These drugs are strong. To put marijuana in that class is hard to understand.

When I had my wisdom teeth out they gave me a prescription for a drug named Mepergan Fortis.  It's evidently a combination opioid painkiller with an anti-nausea drug in it.  It made me feel similar to the oxycodone.  Meperidine is the narcotic in it.  Those opioid pain killers can be deadly.  They also have another side effect.  You stop doing your 'doody' on a regular basis.  Ugh.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #663 on: September 18, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »

When I was in my early thirties, I had my wisdom teeth removed (some say I never recovered).

So that's what happened to you.

Grin

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #664 on: September 19, 2016, 05:47:08 am »

I should have sued for the loss of that wisdom but there's not much value in it I'm told. Cheesy

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #665 on: September 19, 2016, 08:38:40 am »

Sauer, the other thing you are oblivious to, is that while states have made recreational use/possession legal, it doesn't change the testing policies, pre-employment screening, random testing, testing after an incident, and termination for being under the influence at work irrelevant. And on a personal note, the two people that I knew that have died from heroin overdoses in the last year, were not pot smokers, they were addicted to opioid based pain killers to begin with. Your thinking is so flawed and based on scare tactics that it's beyond laughable. There is truth about addiction and addictive personalities, but claiming that marijuana is a gateway drug is just not right, and based on fear mongering that probably started before your parents were born. Sadly the most addictive and lethal drugs have been prescribed by doctors and blindly filled by pharmacists since the end of WWII, just by people asking their doctor for them.

The history of this cluster goes back to the 30's.  Involves DuPont, cause they didn't want the competition to nylon rope.  Hearst empire, cause Randolph didn't want the pulp paper competition to all the forests he owned and wanted to cut down.  And many other factors.   Here is one of the better sources of information about the FUD spewed about the topic.  The information has been there a LONG time - again, goes to the idea/ideal of knowledge of history and perspective on said history... And the very dangerous lack of same we experience so much in this country!

https://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Wears-Clothes-Marijuana-Conspiracy/dp/1878125028

Wiki backgrounder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor_Wears_No_Clothes

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #666 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:15 am »

He probably watched "Reefer Madness" a few too many times.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028346/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Cain't never watch Reefer Madness too many times!!  I's got the DVD!!  It's a classic!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #667 on: September 19, 2016, 08:43:11 am »

When I had my wisdom teeth out they gave me a prescription for a drug named Mepergan Fortis.  It's evidently a combination opioid painkiller with an anti-nausea drug in it.  It made me feel similar to the oxycodone.  Meperidine is the narcotic in it.  Those opioid pain killers can be deadly.  They also have another side effect.  You stop doing your 'doody' on a regular basis.  Ugh.

Demerol.   Yeah...it's a good feeling until it's not...

For some reason my Dr. has been resistant to prescribing it for me...! 

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #668 on: September 26, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/ag-scott-pruitt-defends-revisions-on-state-questions-that-some/article_2a9bb0cc-9c74-56b0-8d8a-791ab8d372fc.html

A.G.:  All Drugs Require Prescriptions

“They use the phrase in the marijuana petition ‘medicinal marijuana’,” (A.G. Scott) Pruitt said. “That is a label. When people hear medicinal marijuana, it creates the impression in their mind that means I access that drug like I access other drugs.

“You access other drugs through a prescription. Here, it doesn’t require a prescription. In fact, it is just a permit for two years.”

With a prescription, a doctor gives the patient a dosage with a duration and monitors usage, which is not the case with the wording on the petition as submitted, he said.

He said he doesn’t have an opinion on using marijuana for medical reasons.

“My job is to explain the effects of what is being proposed and put myself in the shoes of the citizen so they are properly informed about the consequences” of the issues they are voting on, Pruitt said.

David Slane is an Oklahoma City attorney representing Oklahomans for Health.

“It was clear from the totality of the way the ballot title was written that it would require a doctor’s authorization and a medical card,” Slane said. “For the attorney general to pretend like this was not for medical purposes is just not genuine.”

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #669 on: September 26, 2016, 03:31:39 pm »

I may be too biased to effectively evaluate the issue, I dislike Pruitt and I think our current marijuana policy is an utter disaster. So here are the two prominent ballot questions for someone more objective to comment on:

This measure would remove Article 2, Section 5 of the Oklahoma Constitution, which prohibits the government from using public money or property for the direct or indirect benefit of any religion or religious institution. Article 2, Section 5 has been interpreted by the Oklahoma courts as requiring the removal of a Ten Commandments monument from the grounds of the State Capitol. If this measure repealing Article 2, Section 5 is passed, the government would still be required to comply with the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution, which is a similar constitutional provision that prevents the government from endorsing a religion or becoming overly involved with religion.

This measure legalizes the licensed use, sale, and growth of marijuana in Oklahoma. There are no qualifying medical conditions identified. Possession and use of marijuana is authorized through a medical marijuana license that is valid for two years, rather than by prescription. An Oklahoma board certified physician must recommend the license using the same accepted standards for recommending other medications, and must sign the application for the license. The State Department of Health must issue a license to an applicant who:

submits a valid application,
is eighteen years or older, and
is an Oklahoma resident.
Applications for individuals under eighteen must be signed by two physicians and by a parent or legal guardian. The Department also issues seller, grower, packaging, transportation, research, and recycled paper caregiver licenses to those who meet certain minimal requirements. A 7 percent state tax is imposed on retail sales of marijuana. Unlicensed possession by an individual who claims to have a medical condition is punishable by a fine not exceeding $400. Local government cannot use zoning laws to prevent the opening of a retail marijuana store. This measure does not change federal law, which makes use, sale, and growth of marijuana illegal.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #670 on: September 26, 2016, 04:30:40 pm »

State question haiku. Yes, I  know some aren't strictly formatted but I was rushed.

The death penalty
Never will be restricted
Awful idea. Vote no

Farming can ignore
Most of Oklahoma laws
Don't fall for this one

A sales tax increase
Bandaid for poor state planning
This is a bad idea

Conviction for drugs
Is much less draconian
Vote yes on this one

Cost savings return
To local communities
If 780 passes

US constitution
Supercedes this silly idea
Vote no for reason

Sensible booze law
What's not to love about this?
Vote yes on this one

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #671 on: September 27, 2016, 07:33:55 am »

Well done!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #672 on: September 27, 2016, 09:06:34 am »

State question haiku. Yes, I  know some aren't strictly formatted but I was rushed.

The death penalty
Never will be restricted
Awful idea. Vote no

Farming can ignore
Most of Oklahoma laws
Don't fall for this one

A sales tax increase
Bandaid for poor state planning
This is a bad idea

Conviction for drugs
Is much less draconian
Vote yes on this one

Cost savings return
To local communities
If 780 passes

US constitution
Supercedes this silly idea
Vote no for reason

Sensible booze law
What's not to love about this?
Vote yes on this one

Great minds think alike...!!

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #673 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16:38 am »

State question haiku.

We should keep Ed around.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #674 on: September 27, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »

That's outstanding Ed
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org