A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 598068 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:38 am »

I heard this on KRMG this morning. The host was laughing at it because in California the most common diagnosis for marijuana Rx is "depression or anxiety." I wondered if he laughs at the ~40,000,000 Americans on other prescription medication for anxiety or depression. Or the tens of millions more who go home and drink every day, or, for that matter, smoke up while it is still illegal.

Not that marijuana is a cure-all, but neither is Zoloft. Or...

Asendin (amoxapine)

Aventyl HCI (nortriptyline)

Brintellix (vortioxetine)

Celexa (citalopram)

Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Desyrel (trazodone)

Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Emsam (selegiline)

Etrafon (perphenazine and amitriptyline)

Elavil (amitriptyline)

Endep (amitriptyline)

Fetzima (levomilnacipran)

Khedezla (desvenlafaxine)

Latuda (lurasidone)

Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Lexapro (escitalopram)

Limbitrol (amitriptyline and chlordiazepoxide)

Marplan (isocarboxazid)

Nardil (phenelzine)

Norpramin (desipramine)

Oleptro (trazodone)

Pamelor (nortriptyline)

Parnate (tranylcypromine)

Paxil (paroxetine)

Pexeva (paroxetine)

Prozac (fluoxetine)

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Remeron (mirtazapine)

Sarafem (fluoxetine)

Seroquel XR (quetiapine)

Serzone (nefazodone)

Sinequan (doxepin)

Surmontil (trimipramine)

Symbyax (fluoxetine and the atypical antipsychotic drug olanzapine)

Tofranil (imipramine)

Triavil (perphenazine and amitriptyline)

Viibryd (vilazodone)

Vivactil (protriptyline)

Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Zyprexa (olanzapine)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #616 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:36 am »

I heard this on KRMG this morning. The host was laughing at it because in California the most common diagnosis for marijuana Rx is "depression or anxiety." I wondered if he laughs at the ~40,000,000 Americans on other prescription medication for anxiety or depression. Or the tens of millions more who go home and drink every day, or, for that matter, smoke up while it is still illegal.

Not that marijuana is a cure-all, but neither is Zoloft. Or...

No he wouldn't laugh at them - the pharms and their addicts are a direct part of the corporate structure that supports and funds his right wing agenda nationwide.

It's KRMG....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:34 am »

The largest increase in suicides in America is white men over 50 to 64. Up 30% in the last decade. That's the first retirements of the Boomers. We get pushed out of our jobs, watch in amazement how the country suffers from the loss in wisdom and institutional learning, lose our friends and have difficulty in finding purpose. That's nearly 3.1% of the population checking out. The one thing left they can control. Higher risk of suicide than homicide. 1300 per 100,000 if memory serves (lose a fair amount of that too!) Strangely, there is a high correlation between the geographic altitude and the suicide rate. Its higher where they get high!

At any rate, if it helps you get through the day, make it legal.

onward...through the fog
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #618 on: September 08, 2016, 02:37:39 pm »

Who's kidding who, let's come clean and admit the real reason for medical MJ is to get a foot in the door to make all MJ legal for R&R use...  MJ is a gateway drug to harder stuff. We have enough screwy people around on our streets with the current crop of  illegal drugs, alcohol and the like, do we really want to add to that number by having legalized MJ. I never seen a group of people work so hard to make MJ legal for medical reasons as do the pro-MJ crowd. They don't work to make other banned drugs legal that may help in some diseases, they only care about MJ and focus on making MJ legal. Think about that. Some of the young people going around with pro- MJ petitions for voters to sign look like they are really concerned about the elderly and sick who need MJ. Sure. They have an agenda to push. I'm against making MJ legal for any reason. I will say a lot of our drug laws and money seizure laws are wrong and way out control we do need changes there.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #619 on: September 08, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »

COLUMBUS - Gov. John Kasich signed a plan to legalize medical marijuana into law Wednesday, making Ohio the 25th state to approve its use.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/08/john-kasich-just-legalized-medical-marijuana-ohio-now-what/85499176/

Yep, and watch how long it takes till they start pushing to make MJ Legal for R&R use, they got one foot in the door. This will cause a lot abuse of MJ and prescriptions. In Colorado and other states that made MJ legal traffic death rates went up, and I'd bet work place accidents followed. I can just see some warehouse forklift driver who used MJ... In drug testing MJ can be detected in the body 6 weeks after it was last used, so if you have a job and get drug tested and used MJ in the last month your likely to come up + Glad I moved out of that crazy state.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #620 on: September 08, 2016, 02:51:32 pm »

There's another reason law enforcement will resist legalization of marijuana that is related. Coming in from Arkansas this afternoon about 5:00 I passed two Rogers Co. Sheriff cars who had pulled over a nice red Mercedes and were busy conducting a search of the trunk. Assuming they find something there, the car is a nice prize.

Yep those seizure laws need changing, however things can be seized with or without any illegal drugs- a wad of cash is evidence  enough for seizure. People have been putting large sums of cash on those cards and that is why the OHP is scanning those cards to seize the money, and it's not only in Oklahoma other states use card scanners too.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #621 on: September 08, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »

Who's kidding who, let's come clean and admit the real reason for medical MJ is to get a foot in the door to make all MJ legal for R&R use...  MJ is a gateway drug to harder stuff. We have enough screwy people around on our streets with the current crop of  illegal drugs, alcohol and the like, do we really want to add to that number by having legalized MJ. I never seen a group of people work so hard to make MJ legal for medical reasons as do the pro-MJ crowd. They don't work to make other banned drugs legal that may help in some diseases, they only care about MJ and focus on making MJ legal. Think about that. Some of the young people going around with pro- MJ petitions for voters to sign look like they are really concerned about the elderly and sick who need MJ. Sure. They have an agenda to push. I'm against making MJ legal for any reason. I will say a lot of our drug laws and money seizure laws are wrong and way out control we do need changes there.

Uncle Kimchi at it again...you must have been dropped on your head more than once when a baby.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #622 on: September 08, 2016, 05:02:59 pm »

And how many shots of whiskey did you do today?? 

Your wrongheadedness, along with the many hundreds of thousands of other Okies just like you, is the biggest single reason this state has slid so badly in all the "quality of life" issues facing the state.  You really should move elsewhere and take most of those other minions with you.  At long last, then this state may have a chance of emerging from the intellectually bankrupt mental dark ages we have been bogged down in for so long!

P.S.  This is mostly written for everyone else, since I know there isn't a glimmer of hope you will ever understand.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #623 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #624 on: September 08, 2016, 06:37:23 pm »

That's great, dbacks....

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #625 on: September 08, 2016, 06:47:51 pm »

That's great, dbacks....

Been saving that one.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #626 on: September 08, 2016, 11:33:18 pm »

Who's kidding who, let's come clean and admit the real reason for medical MJ is to get a foot in the door to make all MJ legal for R&R use... 

Just no...

http://www.news9.com/story/27371187/oklahoma-families-move-to-colorado-to-get-medical-marijuana-for-their-children

So helping children with seizures is the reason for medical marijuana. One of many reasons, none of which have to do with getting high.

MJ is a gateway drug to harder stuff.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Good one!

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #627 on: September 09, 2016, 09:23:53 am »

A friend of mine has endured chronic neck pain for years and has now had four surgeries.  As a result, he’s pretty much opiod-resistant and he has a flat out allergy to some common pain killers.  There are a lot of people like him who can benefit from pain mitigation with cannabis.  It’s a much safer alternative to traditional pain killers.  To my knowledge, I do not believe there is evidence of anyone dying from a pot overdose, unlike alcohol or opioids.  There is very good scientific evidence supporting the medical benefits of pot.

The main reason it is still being demonized is outright exaggerations and complete ignorance for political expediency and to protect the pharmaceutical cabal.

Legalizing it for recreational use doesn’t create any more of an environment for new users than alcohol being legal.  You can choose to partake or not.  One thing which is known is while there can be a mental dependency on pot, users do not develop physical dependency like they do on opiods or alcohol.

From an economic stand-point I’m willing to put money on it that busting and prosecuting users and petty dealers over the years has cost taxpayers billions, if not trillions. Bringing it out of the shadows and turning it into a taxable industry has provided opportunities for entrepreneurship, employment, and new tax revenue not unlike the boom in microbreweries yet no one thinks twice about all the extra beer floating around on the market.

Certainly there can be drawbacks, real or imagined:

http://fortune.com/pot-marijuana-colorado/

Even if it were legalized here, I would not partake for recreational purposes, I don’t feel the need.  If I did think I needed it for a medicinal purpose, I’d love to have that option available.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #628 on: September 10, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

The main reason it is still being demonized is outright exaggerations and complete ignorance for political expediency and to protect the pharmaceutical cabal.

That, and the "I smell Marijuana" gateway.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #629 on: September 10, 2016, 10:29:00 am »

And how many shots of whiskey did you do today??  

Your wrongheadedness, along with the many hundreds of thousands of other Okies just like you, is the biggest single reason this state has slid so badly in all the "quality of life" issues facing the state.  You really should move elsewhere and take most of those other minions with you.  At long last, then this state may have a chance of emerging from the intellectually bankrupt mental dark ages we have been bogged down in for so long!

P.S.  This is mostly written for everyone else, since I know there isn't a glimmer of hope you will ever understand.

I'm glad I left Ohio with legalized medical MJ Ohio  they got a foot in the door for making all  MJ legal for R&R use. Let's see how long it takes to make R&R MJ legal in Ohio. Intellectually having more people on the streets with altered or fried brains  is dumb. Think of the work place, fork lift drivers on MJ..  Don't we have enough problems with  illegal drugs, and alcohol  and they want to add to that number by making MJ legal. First it's medical MJ then with a foot in the door it's R&R MJ use. Much of the violence on our streets is the result of people high on some drug. MJ is a stepping stone to harder drugs. I'm against legalized MJ. The  "Quality Of Life" in Oklahoma and Tulsa is fine it's what you make of it. The RiverParks offers miles of jogging trails, the low cost of living, mild climate, shops & museums make Oklahoma a fine place to raise a family and live. BTW Oklahoma has some the cheapest gasoline prices in the nation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:36:23 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org