A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:11:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 598342 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2014, 07:33:12 am »

Good thing it wasn't something of extremely large social import - like maybe the Viet Nam war protests - they would have just brought out the tear gas....

Ahh...the good ole TPD!  Gotta love 'em!  To he$$ with the Constitution - this is Oklahoma!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #331 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »

Good thing it wasn't something of extremely large social import - like maybe the Viet Nam war protests - they would have just brought out the tear gas....

Ahh...the good ole TPD!  Gotta love 'em!  To he$$ with the Constitution - this is Oklahoma!!

It doesnt take that much in Tulsa... just protesting predatory bank practices in a city park is sufficient:
http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/11/02/occupy-tulsa-pepper-spray-worst-abuse-yet/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:47:05 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »

It doesnt take that much in Tulsa... just protesting predatory bank practices in a city park is sufficient:
http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/11/02/occupy-tulsa-pepper-spray-worst-abuse-yet/

Olbermann?  Really?  He’s high on paint.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #333 on: June 17, 2014, 03:37:12 pm »

Olbermann?  Really?  He’s high on paint.

Deflection moment... Olberman isn't the point....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #334 on: June 17, 2014, 09:47:31 pm »

TULSA, Okla. – The debate over legalizing marijuana is raging in Oklahoma, with strong opinions on both sides.

Now some supporters of legalizing marijuana tell FOX23 that Tulsa police interfered with them while they gathered signatures for a petition.
They shared this cell phone video with FOX23 that they say shows an officer confronting them.

"Just so you guys understand, we have no problem with you guys being here, but since he wants to be an a$shole and not tell us his past, that's why you have to leave,” said an officer on the tape.
The video shows TPD officers arriving at a petition site, gathering IDs to check into volunteers' past, and getting upset when one wouldn't give details about an old arrest.
“We're fine with this part of it, but because he doesn't want to cooperate, you guys are going,” said an officer on the tape.

Oklahomans for Health director Chip Paul said his volunteers were run off by police three days last week, and it's impacting the 90 days they have to collect just under 160,000 signatures in an effort to get medical marijuana on the November ballot.
“Police were nice and respectful when they rolled up, but their whole goal seems to be shutting us down, telling us to move. If we push back, it escalates,” said Paul.

FOX23 got a statement from the city explaining citizens complained about the group flying these marijuana flags and allegedly having signs saying the drug was sold at these locations.
One citizen report was even labeled "outside drug activity."

“We don't have an issue with people exercising their right. When we have a citizen call in, it is our duty to go to those locations and figure out what's going on and that's what we did,” said Jill Roberson with Tulsa police.

FOX23 found officers never filed a report for either call they responded to on Wednesday or Thursday, and they never found any drugs.
But the city's statement reads the group was on private commercial business properties.
“It is legal, but not on QuikTrip’s parking lot,” said an officer on the cell video.
That is a violation, but one Paul said his group is not guilty of committing.

“We're within our right to petition and we should never be moved from a public place or asked to move. We just want the problem fixed, we don't want to be hassled, we don't want to be harassed, however, a municipal authority has violated our civil rights,” said Paul.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Supporters-of-marijuana-legalization-say-Tulsa/zJxgYN1h60i3dK8z11GCBA.cspx

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2014, 07:57:00 am »

Deflection moment... Olberman isn't the point....

Yeah okay Mr. Baby Bush, Murdoch, RWRE, LWRE.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2014, 08:12:17 am »

Yeah okay Mr. Baby Bush, Murdoch, RWRE, LWRE.

Really??   Come ON!!!  You can do much better than that!  Not getting lazy on me in your old age, are you??  Have noticed guido slacking a little, too!!  You two, and Gas, are much better and a lot more fun than that!!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2014, 08:16:07 am »

FOX23 found officers never filed a report for either call they responded to on Wednesday or Thursday, and they never found any drugs.
But the city's statement reads the group was on private commercial business properties.
“It is legal, but not on QuikTrip’s parking lot,” said an officer on the cell video.
That is a violation, but one Paul said his group is not guilty of committing.

Makes me wonder if QuikTrip was asked for permission to collect signatures?  And if not, why not??

And second, if QuikTrip DID give permission, why are the cops there to start with?

And third, if QuikTrip did NOT give permission, why not?  As they are major beneficiaries of the freedoms and liberties we enjoy in this country, why would they not support those same freedoms?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2014, 11:34:40 am »

"Just so you guys understand, we have no problem with you guys being here, but since he wants to be an a$shole and not tell us his past, that's why you have to leave,” said an officer on the tape.
The video shows TPD officers arriving at a petition site, gathering IDs to check into volunteers' past, and getting upset when one wouldn't give details about an old arrest.
“We're fine with this part of it, but because he doesn't want to cooperate, you guys are going,” said an officer on the tape.

Oh, you can petition the government for a redress of grievances as long as you submit to daily spot warrant checks and not object to any invasive questioning (thats not relevant to collecting signatures for a petition nor any potential crime investigation).

I totally forgot thats how it works.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbgdDDoJCA[/youtube]

It took a couple of incidents, but the department has finally decided to distance itself:

TULSA — Tulsa Police Department officers may have exceeded their authority in forcing some petitioners to leave a public area, and one officer's supervisor is looking into her conduct during the incident, which was caught on video.
http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/medical-marijuana-backers-claim-harrassment-tulsa-/ngMpQ/

The petitioners are heard on the video noting that they were on a public easement, and not blocking the sidewalk.
The officers then ask the people for ID's, which they receive, and the female officer goes to the patrol unit to check the names.

She returns and asks the man with the camera phone "What have you been in trouble for?"
He tells her that he was arrested once, but it was dismissed.
After he refuses to tell the officers what the arrest was for, the female officer tells the people they have to leave.

(PIO): "As a citizen you have the right to remain, if you're there on that easement, as long as you're not standing on the sidwalk, or blocking traffic, or blocking someone from walking, you have a right to stand there. Whether it's a protest or a petition, I'll tell you right now the police department, we don't have an issue with anyone exercising their First Amendment rights. Let me be real clear with that...that's really where the chief stands, and where the department stands."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2014, 11:39:18 am »

And third, if QuikTrip did NOT give permission, why not?  As they are major beneficiaries of the freedoms and liberties we enjoy in this country, why would they not support those same freedoms?

Totally a guess, but possibly pressure from Budweiser, whose owners are major contributors to efforts to stop any marijuana reform?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mason-tvert/big-alcohol-fueling-oppos_b_719878.html

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:28 am »

Totally a guess, but possibly pressure from Budweiser, whose owners are major contributors to efforts to stop any marijuana reform?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mason-tvert/big-alcohol-fueling-oppos_b_719878.html

But why?  I always enjoyed a Bud with a bud.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2014, 12:22:15 pm »

So you need to produce valid ID in order to present petitions to voters?

There is a rule that you have to divulge your history to government agents on demand or you lose your right to petition?

If your a jackhole to a cop, the 1st Amendment doesn't apply?

Noted. Thanks!

This threat to police budgets must not stand!

Seems like the male cop was professional.  He can ask for info, as long as they voluntarily comply so be it.  She was hostile the entire time.  Then they crossed the line.  Should have told them they cannot be on private property and left it at that.

Sad when stoners come out more professional than the police.  Not the stoners never called the officers names or violated their rights when they felt offended.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #342 on: June 18, 2014, 03:24:17 pm »

^^^"stoners"? Do you know if they actually smoke? The petitioners could be just casually dressed professionals trying to exercise their rights.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2014, 04:00:36 pm »

At 8 minutes into this the cop starts calling the guy an a$$hole...!!??  Yeah, classy female - got some real "Lady" tendencies going on there.  Ascribing characteristics to someone else which one possesses in abundance to try to deflect attention....

Makes me proud of TPD!!

(Anyone note the sarcasm in the text?)

It's a shame there isn't a Rabon Martin type still around willing to champion causes that otherwise go wanting.... Stand up for the little guy getting bulldozed by the system... Start a civil rights legal action against the overbearing, obnoxious, untrammeled exercise of undeserved power....

(Tilting at windmills....)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:04:43 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »

I do miss Rabon...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org