A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:28:18 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 598094 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:08 am »

Too many lobbyists from prisons for hire and alcohol producers.  (a guess)

There's nothing fiscally conservative about it, that's for damn sure.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2012, 10:08:13 am »

Too many lobbyists from prisons for hire and alcohol producers.  (a guess)

It would be a good guess.  Might be interesting to look at Sen. Crain's donors:
http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal

While it's hardly astonishing that the corporate beer lobby would oppose efforts to legalize marijuana, a non-toxic, ostensibly safer alternative to alcohol, it is surprising to see how quickly the law enforcement lobby -- to date the largest supporters of Public Safety First, -- is willing to get into bed with big booze.
http://www.alternet.org/story/148213/alcohol_lobby_now_openly_spending_against_ca%27s_legal_pot_initiative_in_alliance_with_police_industrial_complex

Also found this while poking around:

Former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.), once a fierce critic of drug legalization, has taken sides with the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), which advocates for medical marijuana and other drug-law reforms.

The Cox News Service reported March 30 that Barr, whom the Libertarian Party once called the “worst drug warrior” during his eight years in Congress, is now working to repeal the “Barr Amendment” — legislation he introduced in 1999 to prevent the legalization of medical marijuana in the District of Colombia.

Barr did not comment on taking the MPP job, but said he had left the Republican Party because of its move “toward big government and disregard toward privacy and civil liberties.”

“In light of the tremendous growth of government power since 9/11, it has forced me and other conservatives to go back and take a renewed look at how big and powerful we want the government to be in people's lives,” Barr said.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

It would be a good guess.  Might be interesting to look at Sen. Crain's donors:
http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal

While it's hardly astonishing that the corporate beer lobby would oppose efforts to legalize marijuana, a non-toxic, ostensibly safer alternative to alcohol, it is surprising to see how quickly the law enforcement lobby -- to date the largest supporters of Public Safety First, -- is willing to get into bed with big booze.
http://www.alternet.org/story/148213/alcohol_lobby_now_openly_spending_against_ca%27s_legal_pot_initiative_in_alliance_with_police_industrial_complex

Also found this while poking around:

Former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.), once a fierce critic of drug legalization, has taken sides with the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), which advocates for medical marijuana and other drug-law reforms.

The Cox News Service reported March 30 that Barr, whom the Libertarian Party once called the “worst drug warrior” during his eight years in Congress, is now working to repeal the “Barr Amendment” — legislation he introduced in 1999 to prevent the legalization of medical marijuana in the District of Colombia.

Barr did not comment on taking the MPP job, but said he had left the Republican Party because of its move “toward big government and disregard toward privacy and civil liberties.”

“In light of the tremendous growth of government power since 9/11, it has forced me and other conservatives to go back and take a renewed look at how big and powerful we want the government to be in people's lives,” Barr said.

I suspect Bob finally tried a big fattie at a party and realized what he'd been missing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

I suspect Bob finally tried a big fattie at a party and realized what he'd been missing.

Or a family member was diagnosed with cancer.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2012, 08:31:27 am »

I hope it's a lesson to our legislature what an expensive tragedy the war on drugs is.

And who keeps electing these reactionary sellouts??  It sure ain't me...for at least 4o+ years.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:43 am »

Or a family member was diagnosed with cancer.

Very close sister-in-law going through this now and she has lost about 50 lbs part way through the fight.  Nauseous ALL the time - everything in comes right back out.  Our medieval laws are literally mandating torture upon sick people to prohibit the use of something that by all indications provides significant relief to not only the nausea, but actually stimulates appetite - those famous munchies we all hear about.  She could use some food right about now...  

She is not the first I have known go through this - there have been too many others, just as close, over the years.  Hers is the situation that has become my "straw on the camel's back" to take me to a whole other place - a place I have never dreamed I could get to...

After spending my entire life hoping that no one ever has to go through this, I have finally now reached the point that I do hope that each of these a$$ wipes that pushes against marijuana so hard actually DOES have someone very close and special to them go through this.  And soon.  I have reached the point where I feel they deserve the experience.  They have earned it through the suffering of millions of others.  And to be even more clear - I absolutely do NOT want THEM to go through it - I want those closest to them to go through it, so they can experience the true full experience without distraction.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »

I'd like to make a case against it. We have enough problems with legal alcohol, adding MJ will make it worse,  we don't need more people on the streets with altered minds on top of all the people using alcohol. Making MJ legal is a stepping stone for making other drugs legal. I vote against it..

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

I'd like to make a case against it. We have enough problems with legal alcohol, adding MJ will make it worse,  we don't need more people on the streets with altered minds on top of all the people using alcohol. Making MJ legal is a stepping stone for making other drugs legal. I vote against it..

Why don't we outlaw pain meds while we're at it? After all, why should people who just had surgery get relief? They might end up on the streets with altered minds. People certainly should die so you aren't made uncomfortable.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2012, 02:12:52 pm »

Why don't we outlaw pain meds while we're at it? After all, why should people who just had surgery get relief? They might end up on the streets with altered minds. People certainly should die so you aren't made uncomfortable.

Remember who you're replying to, Nate...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2012, 03:02:10 pm »

It is hard to smoke sauerkraut. It fits in the pipe nicely, but is usually too wet to catch fire well.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »

After spending my entire life hoping that no one ever has to go through this, I have finally now reached the point that I do hope that each of these a$$ wipes that pushes against marijuana so hard actually DOES have someone very close and special to them go through this.  And soon.  I have reached the point where I feel they deserve the experience.  They have earned it through the suffering of millions of others.  And to be even more clear - I absolutely do NOT want THEM to go through it - I want those closest to them to go through it, so they can experience the true full experience without distraction.

"We can discretely supply your loved one with the need for as long as necessary, but in exchange we will want some favors that your position can facilitate."

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »

It is hard to smoke sauerkraut. It fits in the pipe nicely, but is usually too wet to catch fire well.

You don't smoke the sauerkraut, Michael.  You smoke some sausage and then add it to the sauerkraut.

Now I'm hungry for kielbasa and sauerkraut.  That didn't take long.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »

You don't smoke the sauerkraut, Michael.  You smoke some sausage and then add it to the sauerkraut.

So when they say sausage roll, they really mean rolling papers?

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »

I'd like to make a case against it. We have enough problems with legal alcohol, adding MJ will make it worse,  we don't need more people on the streets with altered minds on top of all the people using alcohol. Making MJ legal is a stepping stone for making other drugs legal. I vote against it..

You have proven yourself to have an altered mind, so that vote doesn't count.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »

You have proven yourself to have an altered mind, so that vote doesn't count.

Wouldn't that require the mind to exist for alterations?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org