A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:50:39 pm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 282399 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #435 on: February 18, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »

Will Scott Pruitt have time to review this while he is working on the case with Nebraska to sue Colorado over legalized pot?

Would be Interesting  since Anheuser-Busch has been financing so much of the fight against medical marijuana.

http://www.businessinsider.com/big-alcohol-donates-money-to-fight-legalization-of-pot-2010-9

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #436 on: February 18, 2016, 03:19:43 pm »

Here is a great write-up on the issue:

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com/2016/02/budweiser-takes-nuclear-option-on.html

The key takeaways -- at least when it comes to beer -- from my perspective:

-Cold beer and wine could be sold at liquor stores.
-Full-strength beer and wine could be sold in grocery and convenience stores.
-Brewers could sell their beer out of the brewery for on- or off-premise consumption.
-Liquor stores could sell any item sold at a grocery store, provided those sales don't exceed 20 percent of the store's total sales.
-It would be left up to the Legislature to decide a number of issues, including days and hours for alcohol sales, what constitutes a small brewer, and taxes levied on alcoholic beverages (the taxes especially are not an insignificant item, considering sales tax on strong beer right now is nearly three times that of low-point beer. The question is, where will the tax rate land in a single-strength system?).
-Changes would go into effect on Oct. 1, 2018.
-Oklahoma would move to a three-tier distribution system with a prohibition on ownership interests in more than one tier at a time.

And there's the rub for AB, which right now owns the distribution channels for its low-point beer in Oklahoma. SJR 68 allows five years from date of adoption for companies to divest (read: sell off) their brewery-owned distribution branches.

AB claims in its ads this will lead to severe negative consequences in Oklahoma, including the loss of hundreds of jobs, rising beer prices and Budweiser actually withdrawing from the Oklahoma market altogether.

Not everyone shares these opinions. Zach Prichard, president of Choc Beer Co. in Krebs and of the Craft Brewers Association of Oklahoma, issued this response:

"The CBAO has been anticipating the announcement of SJR 68 for some time now. As small brewers we are focused on advocating for tap room sales and other changes which help reduce the large financial risk small brewers must undertake. Oklahoma is already fortunate to be home to many great breweries. Simple, reasonable changes such as tap room sales will allow brewers to continue to grow their business. They will also provide a great showplace for Oklahoma-made beer and establish Oklahoma as a beer tourism destination...."

To the question of why you cannot own more than one link in the distribution chain -

Back in the day the big brewers would own the brewery, the distributor, and the bar. That's how corner bars across from each other and bar districts started... Schlitz would put in a bar, and AB needed one across the street. The bar sold their beer. Often it was run by a local proprietor under contract.  Neither the distributor nor the bar was much of a business, just vessels to pass along beer.

When prohibition came that obviously all stopped. When it was abolished, states set about to eliminate that model and succeeded. Oklahoma being well behind, we are more messed up than others due to the "non-intoxicating" beverage definitions and separate laws for each. The point is supposed to be to stop all channels from being driven to just sell more product, also to keep ownership small and decrease their power (hence, you can only own one liquor store), and lip service to competition.

In high point beer currently, you can either own a bar, a distributor, or a brewery. You can't own any 2 of the 3 or have any significant involvement therein (own the property, loan them the equipment, etc.).  This rule would bring low-point in line with the high point, in exchange for granting breweries point of sale rights beyond low point beer and toss in the cold/grocery store thing. It is a mixed bag for most players, local brewers appear to be the winners as it gives them almost the same rights as wineries.

Full disclosure: I have not reviewed the actual bill, just the summaries.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2016, 10:35:54 am »

Why do we require a separate distributor in OK? Why can't they be integrated? Is it just our state weirdness or is there some bonafide reasoning there?

State instituted restraint of free trade.  Where are all those right wingers who blather so much about "free trade" in this state??  Failin'.

Same place they are when it comes to 'personal liberty' and personal responsibility....as in legalization of marijuana and other so-called moral issues.... 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2016, 10:46:20 am »

State instituted restraint of free trade.  Where are all those right wingers who blather so much about "free trade" in this state??  Failin'.

Same place they are when it comes to 'personal liberty' and personal responsibility....as in legalization of marijuana and other so-called moral issues.... 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2016, 11:34:19 am »

These AB ads are upsetting me. I think a boycott is in order.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:04 pm »

It would certainly be an opportunity for Oklahomans to sample some better beers than AB offers; many made in Oklahoma.

Choc beer was something I might not have found on my own, for example.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2016, 03:34:32 pm »

Geeky reply: "State action" is exempt from anti-trust laws.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:39 pm »

You drink that swill...??

Ouch!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2016, 05:02:07 pm »

Ouch!

There are some AB bevs of the higher point variety that I will drink.  Shock Top is one.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »

Ouch!

Actually no, never.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:15 pm »

There are some AB bevs of the higher point variety that I will drink.  Shock Top is one.

There are a few that I like too.  Some I knew were AB-InBev, some I didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2016, 08:36:44 pm »

I won’t touch an AB In-Bev product after this BS propaganda campaign they are running.  I won’t help fund their dishonesty.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »

I won’t touch an AB In-Bev product after this BS propaganda campaign they are running.  I won’t help fund their dishonesty.

I am inclined to agree.  Too bad, I like the Leffe Brown.  Although I prefer Celebrator or Salvator, Optimator is good.  Too bad Optimator is in a green bottle.  An occasional Bass Pale is was nice.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2016, 10:20:09 pm »

I am inclined to agree.  Too bad, I like the Leffe Brown.  Although I prefer Celebrator or Salvator, Optimator is good.  Too bad Optimator is in a green bottle.  An occasional Bass Pale is was nice.

As am I.  Went to the hockey game tonight and bought two Marshall's instead of my go-to ShockTop pregame beer.

Of course we lost... Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:56 am »

Actually no, never.

I am relieved to hear that!  I have always thought much better of you than AB-InBev...

Hoss, you too!  Can't say about Shock Top - will have to try it just so I will know...

Now, after having blasted AB as the swill that it is - I really do enjoy the commercials, so I guess it is good there are 'bottom-drinkers' who do drink it so they will continue advertising!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org