A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:45 am
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279753 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2015, 02:07:15 pm »

Here we go baby steps. This is a good idea but not enough to get me to fall off my wagon just yet. I want strong cold Bud and Coors in grocery stores. Heck I had no problem waiting 10 minutes for a strong beer to get cold in my freezer.  Roll Eyes

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scenehomepage3/what-the-ale-could-oklahoma-be-getting-cold-beer-in/article_f005608d-d815-5dbc-8c10-2dee0037c562.html

It’s hard to be optimistic this has much of a chance to pass when even the liquor store owners’ trade association is not supporting it - too many of its members oppose because they don’t want the cost of adding coolers to their stores.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2015, 03:07:39 pm »

Dude, you get all that you want and then some in your neck of the woods. 

Ever hear of Apothecary?  The guy does really unconventional techniques like brewing in hollowed-out logs.

http://beermebend.com/bend-oregon-craft-beer-the-ale-apothecary/

Yeah, I know that I need to go there, just hard to get away to do it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #347 on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:43 am »

Yes but will it be growlers?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage2/what-the-ale-oklahoma-breweries-could-soon-be-allowed-to/article_7f7006b1-f073-5484-8389-3a3b95979bbd.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:22 pm »

This is a bill that likely has a chance to pass.  It would be a small but important step in the right direction.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2015, 03:09:39 pm »

Given the precedence set with wineries, I believe this really does have a chance. 

It pains me though when I have to point to Arkansas as a pinnacle of progress we should be following.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:44 pm »

Given the precedence set with wineries, I believe this really does have a chance. 

It pains me though when I have to point to Arkansas as a pinnacle of progress we should be following.

Thanks, my nose burns now from shooting my favorite porter out of it. Grin
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:47 am »

Thanks, my nose burns now from shooting my favorite porter out of it. Grin

You are welcome, any time!

I’m mainly stoked by the possibility of how this could benefit people who dream of opening a nano brewery as a full micro set up is out of their financial means.  Not that setting up a tap room is cheap, but an owner could rely solely on in-house sales and selling growlers (which cuts down on packaging costs) from the front door of their business.  It would also improve brewpub offerings and make life for them less complicated.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
HSams75
Citizen

« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2015, 09:03:58 am »

It’s hard to be optimistic this has much of a chance to pass when even the liquor store owners’ trade association is not supporting it - too many of its members oppose because they don’t want the cost of adding coolers to their stores.

Has there been an official statement from them as an organization?  What I've heard from a few friends who own liquor stores is that adding a basic cooler or two isn't prohibitively expensive and they're fine with the expense because they know it will pay for itself.  Further, adding refrigeration is optional under the bill, not mandatory.  It would be incredibly unfortunate if a few naysayers in the biz killed this, especially when many of their consumers DO want this to happen.

This is a bill that likely has a chance to pass.  It would be a small but important step in the right direction.

From what I understand, this one will be less likely to pass as currently written, since Article 28.3 of our constitution states that a brewery can only sell to a wholesaler but passage of State Question 743 allowed wineries can sell directly to the public .  Amending the state constitution will require ballot question and a vote of the people.  Also, it doesn't *quite* put breweries on par with wineries, as we're reading the language - it appears to only allow for breweries to sell packaged product directly to consumers, but doesn't appear to allow onsite consumption beyond the currently allowed tour samples, whereas wineries can do both.  If nothing else, it's raising awareness and getting the subject out there, which is a very good thing. 

A new brewery in Stillwater (Iron Monk) is getting ready to release beer and there is another newcomer in Tulsa (Kolibri Ale Works) that is licensed and working towards releasing beer.  The craft beer scene in Oklahoma is growing in spite of our crappy laws - I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it will be when we get these prohibitive laws changed.   
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:11 am »

Has there been an official statement from them as an organization?  What I've heard from a few friends who own liquor stores is that adding a basic cooler or two isn't prohibitively expensive and they're fine with the expense because they know it will pay for itself.  Further, adding refrigeration is optional under the bill, not mandatory.  It would be incredibly unfortunate if a few naysayers in the biz killed this, especially when many of their consumers DO want this to happen.

From what I understand, this one will be less likely to pass as currently written, since Article 28.3 of our constitution states that a brewery can only sell to a wholesaler but passage of State Question 743 allowed wineries can sell directly to the public .  Amending the state constitution will require ballot question and a vote of the people.  Also, it doesn't *quite* put breweries on par with wineries, as we're reading the language - it appears to only allow for breweries to sell packaged product directly to consumers, but doesn't appear to allow onsite consumption beyond the currently allowed tour samples, whereas wineries can do both.  If nothing else, it's raising awareness and getting the subject out there, which is a very good thing. 

A new brewery in Stillwater (Iron Monk) is getting ready to release beer and there is another newcomer in Tulsa (Kolibri Ale Works) that is licensed and working towards releasing beer.  The craft beer scene in Oklahoma is growing in spite of our crappy laws - I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it will be when we get these prohibitive laws changed.   

It sure has taken Iron Monk a long time to get going.  Glad to hear they are finally about ready to start pouring beer.

HSams75
Citizen

« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »

It sure has taken Iron Monk a long time to get going.  Glad to hear they are finally about ready to start pouring beer.

Me, too!  I'm all for anything that continues to add to the craft beer scene here.  Have you seen the pics on their Facebook page yet?  That's going to be a really nice taproom when finished. 
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:03 pm »

Baby steps. One more hurdle.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/bill-allowing-liquor-stores-to-sell-cold-high-point-beer/article_364e8452-c575-5328-8f9e-b2fb15a00669.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: February 26, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

For those who can’t get past the paywall:

Bill allowing liquor stores to sell cold, high-point beer passes committee

OKLAHOMA CITY – A Senate panel on Thursday passed a measure that would allow liquor stores to sell refrigerated, high-point beer.

Senate Bill 383 by Sen. Stephanie Bice, R-Oklahoma City, advanced from the Senate Business and Commerce Committee by a vote of 10-0 and heads to the Senate floor.

Bice was asked if the measure would create an unequal playing field because some liquor stores would not be able to afford to put in refrigeration equipment.

Bice said refrigeration is optional in the bill, not mandated.

Liquor stores that chose to refrigerate high-point beer could charge more for the product to cover their costs, she said.

Bice said she views the measure as leveling the playing field, because convenience stores and grocery stores are able to refrigerate and sell low-point beer.

Sen. Roger Thompson, R-Okemah, argued for the proposal, saying Oklahoma’s liquor laws are “archaic.”

Sen. Anastasia Pittman, D-Oklahoma City, said she has gotten a number of emails about the bill, adding that her constituents support it.

Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, said he did not drink alcohol.

“If you are an adult, you should be able to make that choice for yourself,” he said, adding that he supported the bill.

Bice said the bill was brought after a lot of thought and research to make refrigerated high-point beer a reality.

The panel also passed a measure that would allow craft breweries sell high-point beer on their premises.

Senate Bill 424, by Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, passed by a vote of 10-0 and heads to the Senate floor.

Crain said the measure has gotten a lot of positive attention.

Barbara Hoberock 405-528-2465

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: February 26, 2015, 04:13:30 pm »

For those who can’t get past the paywall:

Sen. Roger Thompson, R-Okemah, argued for the proposal, saying Oklahoma’s liquor laws are “archaic.”

Hear hear, Roger.

Whoever asked this:

Bice was asked if the measure would create an unequal playing field because some liquor stores would not be able to afford to put in refrigeration equipment.

needs Sheriff Buford T. Justice to slap his momma in the mouth.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #358 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:18 pm »

Hear hear, Roger.

Whoever asked this:

needs Sheriff Buford T. Justice to slap his momma in the mouth.

Wonder if he also got called a 'schnauzer's d**k'?

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2015, 04:21:21 pm »

Wonder if he also got called a 'schnauzer's d**k'?

Grin

I just, I just...

Got nothin’ on that.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org