A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279777 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:53 am »

Baby steps.
Baby steps when you're trying to catch up to the people who are jogging?  Doesn't work for me.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »

Baby steps when you're trying to catch up to the people who are jogging?  Doesn't work for me.

Indeed.  It is also disheartening to consider how long and how much effort was required for this baby step.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2013, 07:36:18 pm »

On a recent trip to a brewpub out of state, I couldn't help but think of all the different ways in which that would be illegal in Oklahoma.

There was a young couple with an infant (it was a pretty quiet place)
I could buy a pint or three.
I could buy a growler fill.
I could buy a six-pack.
I could visit on Sunday.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #318 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:18 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQ_khFmKtU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #319 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »

All this PLUS the Caddo County cops stealing people's money...yeah, we're doing fine Oklahoma... got the outside companies just lining up to come set up shop here!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2013, 01:19:01 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQ_khFmKtU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

Group Wants Oklahoma's Craft Beer Laws Changed

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/group-wants-oklahomas-craft-beer-laws-changed

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A group wants to make Oklahoma's laws for craft beer the same as state laws for wineries.

Heather Sams of the League of Oklahomans for Change in Alcohol Laws, or LOCAL, says there's several breweries that are restricted by regulations not imposed on other businesses like wineries.

The Journal Record reports the group wants breweries to be able to sell their whole beer portfolios from the tap. They also want liquor stores to be able to sell alcohol mixers, cheeses and other food pairings.

LOCAL is run by 10 craft beer enthusiasts, with another 40 people as members. The organization's leader, Kevin Hall, says it plans to hire a lobbyist to present the issues to state lawmakers.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:48 am »

I wish them luck.

With the price of oil dropping the state of OK should be looking for alternate revenue streams.
Colorado's microbrew industry has annual sales of a billion or more (not to mention the new grass industry). 

Really the only thing keeping us out of the game is our arcane and outdated laws.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:22 am »

Beer tourism is a very real concept.  Any time we travel out of state, I use the opportunity to find and bring back beer we cannot get in Oklahoma.  There are several breweries I have growlers from and I make sure to pack their empties and take them with us when I know we are going to be in that area again.

NW Arkansas has a “Brewery Trail”.

http://www.loopnet.com/ATTACHMENTS/5/A/4/5A4EE44E-C061-4C39-9E00-5F26FBE3B2F6.PDF

A friend of mine was just in Bend, Oregon and tipped me off to this:

http://www.bendbrewbus.com

If we could get full line sales out of breweries, I’d hope it could make nano breweries a reality.  Imagine being able to finish off a day on Grand Lake with a fresh craft beer in the courtyard of a small brewery along the water or making it possible for small operations in smaller towns throughout the state. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:29 am »

Last time I was in Fort Worth I went to a party at the local brewey and it was a blast. I want this for Tulsa.

Plus the stuff Conan said; ditto, that too and additionally also as well.
HSams75
Citizen

« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »

Beer tourism is a very real concept.  Any time we travel out of state, I use the opportunity to find and bring back beer we cannot get in Oklahoma.  There are several breweries I have growlers from and I make sure to pack their empties and take them with us when I know we are going to be in that area again.
If we could get full line sales out of breweries, I’d hope it could make nano breweries a reality.  Imagine being able to finish off a day on Grand Lake with a fresh craft beer in the courtyard of a small brewery along the water or making it possible for small operations in smaller towns throughout the state. 

Exactly this.  Whenever I travel out of state, I make a point of seeking out craft beer that I can't get here, I visit breweries and sample their beers, I visit local restaurants and try local beer on tap.  Over the summer, we spent a week in Texas on a beercation, visited some breweries, and spent a stupid amount of money on beer at breweries, liquor stores, and growler stations.  I have a friend who works out at Prairie who has to tell disappointed out-of-state visitors that she can only sell them low-point beer and they are NOT happy to hear that.  I've seen posts from out-of-staters who would love to visit our breweries but pass us by because of the low-point restriction. 

Certain segments of the population have a knee-jerk negative reaction whenever it comes to the idea of modernizing our liquor laws, but they fail to look at how change will benefit our state, or the ridiculous inconsistencies that exist (i.e. wineries being able to sell at point-of-production up to 24%, while breweries are limited to 4%; wineries can set up shop at *the farmer's market*, but no way would a brewery be allowed - it's nuts).  Our current focus at LOCAL is parity between breweries and wineries, so we have to educate people on the way that will benefit our state.  The momentum that craft beer currently has nationwide will help, I hope.  We already have a nice concentration of breweries in Tulsa and OKC, so when the laws are modernized, we are perfectly situated to establish a couple of ale trails.  There is so much potential here and it drives me nuts that we're not entirely living up it.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2014, 07:59:18 pm »

Craft beer sucks.....

HSams75
Citizen

« Reply #327 on: January 05, 2015, 11:08:18 am »

Craft beer sucks.....

That's how I feel about macro beer, so to each his own.  Wink  Regardless, I think we can probably both agree that our liquor laws could stand to be modernized.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »

Here we go baby steps. This is a good idea but not enough to get me to fall off my wagon just yet. I want strong cold Bud and Coors in grocery stores. Heck I had no problem waiting 10 minutes for a strong beer to get cold in my freezer.  Roll Eyes

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scenehomepage3/what-the-ale-could-oklahoma-be-getting-cold-beer-in/article_f005608d-d815-5dbc-8c10-2dee0037c562.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:21 pm »

I want strong cold Bud and Coors in grocery stores.

I doubt I would buy strong Bud or Coors even if it were available in Liquor Stores.  Well, maybe just one each in a Mix-a-Six to remind me why I drink Craft Beer.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org