A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:05 pm
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279672 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2013, 11:27:11 am »

Legislation seeks beer samples at breweries

http://blog.newsok.com/thirstybeagle/2013/02/05/legislation-seeks-beer-samples-at-breweries/

With each new legislative session, there are at least one or two beer-related bills.

In 2010, Gov. Brad Henry signed a bill to legalize homebrewing in the state.

In 2011, there was a bill to allow wine and strong beer sales in grocery stores. The bill fizzled out, but did lead to the creation of a task force to look at the issue. Unfortunately, the task force also fizzled out.

Last year, a group aimed to get a state question on the election ballot that would ask voters to decide if wine sales would be allowed in grocery stores in the state’s 15 largest counties. The measure wouldn’t have involved strong beer, which raised a few eyebrows. Either way, the group put the plan on hold, saying they would circulate a petition in 2013 with hopes of having the question on the 2014 ballot.

And that brings us to 2013 and the latest beer-related bill — House Bill 1341. The bill would allow for licensed breweries in the state to provide on-premise samples to visitors.

You can read the text of the bill right here. And you can see a lobbying guide by clicking here.

The bill is set to come up for a vote at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in front the House Public Safety Committee.

Here are some key issues those who back HB 1341 are pointing out:

-Oklahoma winemakers are already allowed to serve on-premise samples
-The move would be good for local tourism
-The language of the bill is viewed as “very reasonable” by the state ABLE Commission

So how would it work? Licensed brewers would be able to offer up to 12 oz. of beer per day/per visitor. The samples would be free and would only be available from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Brewers would have to pay an Oklahoma excise tax on sampled beer.

You can read more details at the above links.

The bill’s backers are asking that you contact the listed legislators and encourage them to approve the bill and send it up the line.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2013, 12:11:32 pm »

Im all for legalized beer sampling.  Tongue

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »

House Bill 1341, which would allow licensed Oklahoma brewers to offer free samples at their breweries, breezed through a House committee today.

http://blog.newsok.com/thirstybeagle/2013/02/06/hb-1341-flies-through-committee-vote-on-to-full-house/

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2013, 12:52:12 pm »

House Bill 1341, which would allow licensed Oklahoma brewers to offer free samples at their breweries, breezed through a House committee today.

http://blog.newsok.com/thirstybeagle/2013/02/06/hb-1341-flies-through-committee-vote-on-to-full-house/

The "they" are building up our hopes to quell the rioting for a few more weeks.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »

The "they" are building up our hopes to quell the rioting for a few more weeks.
Maybe if they add some language requiring guns and bibles to be dispensed with the samples, we can get it passed.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:22 pm »

I just went to Mother's Brewing in Springfield, Mo. the other day. Sampled quite a few beers. They had 10-12 on tap. Had a pint of one of them.

Got a growler (64oz glass jug) filled with my favorite to bring home. Sure was nice. I hope we take more cues from Missouri than we do from Texas when/if we modernize our laws.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »

I just went to Mother's Brewing in Springfield, Mo. the other day. Sampled quite a few beers. They had 10-12 on tap. Had a pint of one of them.

Got a growler (64oz glass jug) filled with my favorite to bring home. Sure was nice. I hope we take more cues from Missouri than we do from Texas when/if we modernize our laws.

I hope this passes. A local brewery can be an economic development driver for an area if they can host gatherings in their factory. I've been to tastings at Deep Ellum Brewery in Dallas and Rahr Brothers in Fort Worth. Both are located in depressed areas of their town, but the impact of other local businesses (and food trucks) popping up around them is evident.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »

I hope this passes. A local brewery can be an economic development driver for an area if they can host gatherings in their factory. I've been to tastings at Deep Ellum Brewery in Dallas and Rahr Brothers in Fort Worth. Both are located in depressed areas of their town, but the impact of other local businesses (and food trucks) popping up around them is evident.
I know what you mean. I've been to both of those places.

But I hope we're not aiming just for that. Because it's still a pretty poor example of how a brewery can be legally allowed to operate. You pay your $5 or whatever for a "tour" that's offered only once or twice a week, and you get three free pints to "sample." No beer to go. No dropping by whenever to taste what they've brewed up.

Whereas in Missouri they're allowed to sell bottles and growlers in addition to basically operating more like a bar as far as selling pints and being open many hours a week.

But sometimes it feels like Texas is the sole frame of reference for most of our population.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »

But sometimes it feels like Texas is the sole frame of reference for most of our population.

Whole lotta that going on, ain't there?

If they are so enamored, why are they here??  Rather than trying to send us the way of Texas (and granted, I'm not a big fan) why not just go where "life is good" already?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2013, 10:10:01 am »

I didn't realize there would need to be a vote on this:

Okla. Senate panel approves agency merger plan

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Okla-Senate-panel-approves-agency-merger-plan-4277361.php

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Two state agencies dealing with alcohol and narcotics that have a total of nearly 200 employees and combined annual budgets of more than $21.5 million would be merged under a pair of proposals approved Thursday by a Senate committee.

The Senate Public Safety Committee approved two measures that would merge the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs with the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission. Consolidating both agencies into the new Oklahoma Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Enforcement would result in cost savings and a consolidate administrative functions, said Sen. Clark Jolley, who sponsored the bill and joint resolution calling for the merger.

"This is something that's been suggested eight times in the past 10 years," said Jolley, R-Edmond. "It may work. It may not."

The proposed merger is part of a broader push by members of the Republican-controlled Legislature to streamline and ultimately reduce the cost of state government. The Legislature last year consolidated a handful of state agencies into the newly named Office of Management and Enterprise Services.

The ABLE Commission has about 50 employees, while the OBNDD has more than 140 state workers. Besides a reduction in some of those positions, Jolley said the agencies also could merge some of the two agencies' existing locations in Tulsa, Oklahoma City and McAlester.

The director of OBNDD, Darrell Weaver, said he was concerned about the potential for his agency's mission of fighting illegal drugs to become "diluted" if the agencies were merged, but that he was working with Jolley on the plan.

ABLE Executive Director Keith Burt said the agency did not have a position on the measure.

"We're law enforcers, not lawmakers," Burt said.

Jolley's plan would require a vote of the people to create the new agency, since ABLE's existence is outlined in the Oklahoma Constitution.

Sen. Ralph Shortey opposed the bills, arguing that OBNDD's function of targeting drug dealers and traffickers was far different than the more administrative functions of ABLE, which generally deals with restaurant and bar owners and compliance with liquor laws.

"The ABLE Commission serves an entirely different function than OBN does," said Shortey, R-Oklahoma City. "The bureau of narcotics is going after the bad guys, the really bad guys."

While Jolley acknowledged ABLE deals primarily with "the nerdy side of crime and law enforcement," he said those functions would be handled by an administrative bureau within the new agency dubbed the Alcohol and Prescription Compliance bureau, which would also oversee the state's prescription drug monitoring program.

Both measures now head to the full Senate Appropriations Committee, which Jolley chairs.

Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie, the House sponsor of the two proposals, said the state has "far too many" state agencies, boards and commissions, especially when compared to states of comparable size and budgets.

"It's a moral imperative of us to do right by the taxpayer and start reducing the size of government with some commonsense consolidations," Murphey said.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »

ABLE and OBNDD would be near the top of the list of money-wasters whose funds could be better spent by almost any other state agency.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:58 pm »

From Marshall's website:

Beer Sampling Bill Cleared for Full House Vote

Action Needed: Please Contact Your House Rep for Support of HB1341 – Brewery Sampling

http://marshallbrewing.com/2013/02/action-needed-please-contact-your-house-rep-for-support-of-hb1341-brewery-sampling/

Beer Sampling Bill Cleared for Full House Vote

HB 1341 seeks to allow licensed Oklahoma breweries to offer samples to the public

Tulsa, OK.  February 19, 2013 – Oklahoma House Bill HB 1341, introduced by Representative Glen Mulready (R-Tulsa & Creek County), seeks to amend Section 521 of Title 37 to permit licensed brewers of beer in Oklahoma to provide limited free samples to the visitors to the licensed brewery premises. Rep. Mulready worked with Marshall Brewing Co. founders  Eric & Adam Marshall to author HB 1341, which received overwhelming bi-partisan support before the House’s Public Safety Committee on February 6th and was cleared by the House’s Calendar Committee on February 19th to be put forth for a full vote on the House floor in the near future.

HB 1341 is pro-business and pro-tourism legislation and seeks to level the playing field among Oklahoma’s beer and wine producers in that Oklahoma wineries are permitted to offer samples on their licensed premises. “We have effectively been doing our job with one-hand beyond our backs. Few craft breweries have the traditional marketing methods available due to restrained resources,” explains Eric Marshall. “Visitors are typically more impassioned to support small local craft producers when they can experience the products and crafting first hand. The opportunity to explain the business and culture of craft beer and brewing to the public while offering small limited samples will help our industry grow, offer more jobs, pay more taxes, and create a culture of craft beer tourism similar to most other states like Colorado.”

The Oklahoma House Scheduling Committee does not provide an exact date for the House vote. Eric Marshall has been advised that it could be as soon as this week.  “This is good legislation for  business and tourism in Oklahoma, and we need people to voice their support,” Eric says.  Marshall Brewing Co. encourages Oklahoma citizens to contact their Oklahoma House representative and ask for their support on HB 1341.  The public can find their Oklahoma legislative representatives at http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/Default.aspx.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:40:24 pm by Townsend » Logged
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2013, 09:29:34 am »

It passed 62-30. Maybe the crazies are finally starting to get outnumbered.

Listening to the opposition is quite the insight into crazy. Talk of the alcohol content of Jesus wine. Talk of drunk driving after drinking their 12oz of free sample beer. Talk of alcoholism. Talk of kids getting drunk. I'm sure the alcoholics are gonna start showing up at Marshall to get 12 free ounces rather than just go to the liquor store for a cheap pint.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:43:37 am by TheTed » Logged

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:23 am »

It passed 62-30. Maybe the crazies are finally starting to get outnumbered.

More likely that margin reflects the fact the wholesalers and retailers don't see this as a threat to their state protected rackets/business models.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »

TYPros Spends Day at Capitol; Discusses How Liquor Laws Could Harm Business:

http://www.ktul.com/story/21417617/typros-spends-day-at-capitol-discusses-how-liquor-laws-could-harm-business

While ABLE came to Tulsa to teach police how to make sure they do:

http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=3959150&navCatId=19942

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org