A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:58 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279652 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »

Exactly - how many business owners would actively support a change in the law that might put them out of business, or at least shrink their margins and increase their costs?  I think Oklahoma's liquor laws are dumb, archiac, anti-consumer and anti-free market.  But if I had invested my life savings in a business based on the existing system, I would not support radically changing that system in ways that could wipe out my investment.

What angers me are the distortions, half-truths and outright lies that will be used to oppose any change to the laws.  Unfortunately, the individual owners will hide behind industry groups and trade associations to fund the opposition to change and that makes it hard to hold any one individual accountable. 
Other than the corner liquor store that pretty much only exists is to supply the drunks and partiers, the liquor store can benefit just as much from a change in laws.  Just imagine how much they can widen their product if they can sell cold.  The only thing that is going to hurt liquor stores is if the law changes to allow liquor to be sold in grocers and/or convenience stores, and then it will loose the customers who only buy from the bottom shelf.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »

Other than the corner liquor store that pretty much only exists is to supply the drunks and partiers, the liquor store can benefit just as much from a change in laws.  Just imagine how much they can widen their product if they can sell cold.  The only thing that is going to hurt liquor stores is if the law changes to allow liquor to be sold in grocers and/or convenience stores, and then it will loose the customers who only buy from the bottom shelf.

Looks like they're starting to push the petition:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120114_16_A1_OKLAHO704500

and for those who can't get by the paywall...

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/gropu-plans-petition-change-state-constitution-leg/nGMr3/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:11:35 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

The only thing that is going to hurt liquor stores is if the law changes to allow liquor to be sold in grocers and/or convenience stores, and then it will loose the customers who only buy from the bottom shelf.

A good liquor store would be fine even in a scenario where QuikTrip was selling liquor because the liquor store can have a wide selection. People like me will seek out the higher margin products that are only sold at the liquor store. I don't care if it is available 24 hours a day in QT, I'm still not buying Cuervo (or Malibu). Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »

A good liquor store would be fine even in a scenario where QuikTrip was selling liquor because the liquor store can have a wide selection. People like me will seek out the higher margin products that are only sold at the liquor store. I don't care if it is available 24 hours a day in QT, I'm still not buying Cuervo (or Malibu). Wink
And that is why I say they would only loose the customers who only buy from the bottom shelf.  Or actually about mid shelf
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »

They need a better website (Oklahomans for Modern Laws)...

I am hearing there may be legislation introduced that will allow breweries to give tours and provide samples of their products, a right already afforded to Oklahoma wineries. Here's hoping a small change like this doesn't meet opposition as some of these other larger bills will. A similar bill was tried last legislative session, but didn't go anywhere (although it would have allowed brewers to sell their beer to the public, again, something wineries can do).
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2012, 02:52:35 pm »

They need a better website (Oklahomans for Modern Laws)...

I am hearing there may be legislation introduced that will allow breweries to give tours and provide samples of their products, a right already afforded to Oklahoma wineries. Here's hoping a small change like this doesn't meet opposition as some of these other larger bills will. A similar bill was tried last legislative session, but didn't go anywhere (although it would have allowed brewers to sell their beer to the public, again, something wineries can do).
When going through the state legislation, any attempt to change the liquor laws will die because there are too many dollars lining too many pockets to allow it to happen.  Petitions like this are our only hope... guess we should call them obi wan kanobi.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »

When going through the state legislation, any attempt to change the liquor laws will die because there are too many dollars lining too many pockets to allow it to happen.  Petitions like this are our only hope... guess we should call them obi wan kanobi.

I could almost see a group of legislators quickly cobbling together a "compromise bill" that promises all sorts of reform, if the voters would just forget about this petition... 
Sort of like the bait on the mousetrap.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »

I could almost see a group of legislators quickly cobbling together a "compromise bill" that promises all sorts of reform, if the voters would just forget about this petition... 
Don't give them any ideas
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »

Don't give them any ideas

As I've stated many many times before, I wouldn't mind the restriction to the liquor stores if they'd do the following:

1.  Remove the stupid 9pm close and no sale on Sunday restriction.
2.  Allow high point beer to be refrigerated

But as I stated before and so has Costco, allowing retailers to sell wine and strong beer will allow Costco to make their decision to put stores here.  As it stands now, they won't

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

As I've stated many many times before, I wouldn't mind the restriction to the liquor stores if they'd do the following:

1.  Remove the stupid 9pm close and no sale on Sunday restriction.
2.  Allow high point beer to be refrigerated

But as I stated before and so has Costco, allowing retailers to sell wine and strong beer will allow Costco to make their decision to put stores here.  As it stands now, they won't
It just irritates me to no end that they can sell all that crap beer in the store, which gets people just as drunk, but I can't pick up a bottle of wine to go with dinner.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

Pretty much what they did with the "task force" last session.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »

It just irritates me to no end that they can sell all that crap beer in the store, which gets people just as drunk, but I can't pick up a bottle of wine to go with dinner.

The large breweries come off as the victim, but it's my understanding they lobby inten$ely to keep it that way.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2012, 01:15:52 pm »

Doesn't matter, the legislature will engage in some sort of wrangling to protect the mob er liquor distributors who are in their pants ahem, the status quo because we are too stupid to handle more choices of distribution for liquor and wine.

The Oklahoma legislature sucks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2012, 02:10:36 pm »

The Oklahoma legislature sucks.

Hell yeah they suck
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

Hell yeah they suck

All of them except Sally Kern, ostensibly.

Separated at birth?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org