A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:43:50 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279796 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »

I also liked the one armed Violinist. Great movie.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
dbacks fan
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2011, 02:08:35 pm »

Every time someone says 'It's gotta wang to it' that sceene immediately comes to my mind.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2011, 03:48:29 pm »

I doubt the world's great wine makers could do much with Oklahoma's native grapes and the well known varietals simply cannot take Oklahoma's weather (this year being a worse case scenario on both the hot and cold end).  I think most of Oklahoma's wineries use some, if a not a majority, of grapes grown out-of-state.

It is ironic that the legislature has given the Oklahoma wine industry more leeway than local breweries, even though our brewers have a much better chance of making a world class product that could grow in to a real industry and tourist draw.  I suspect Oklahoma's wine industry is doomed to always be a novelty.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:21 pm »

Every time someone says 'It's gotta wang to it' that sceene immediately comes to my mind.

We are a predictable lot aren't we?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

I doubt the world's great wine makers could do much with Oklahoma's native grapes and the well known varietals simply cannot take Oklahoma's weather (this year being a worse case scenario on both the hot and cold end).  I think most of Oklahoma's wineries use some, if a not a majority, of grapes grown out-of-state.

It is ironic that the legislature has given the Oklahoma wine industry more leeway than local breweries, even though our brewers have a much better chance of making a world class product that could grow in to a real industry and tourist draw.  I suspect Oklahoma's wine industry is doomed to always be a novelty.

Yep, that's correct many wineries in the state import juice to supplement the limitations of their own harvests.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:28 pm »

Yep, that's correct many wineries in the state import juice to supplement the limitations of their own harvests.

I have only been to a very few of our wineries, but the ones I have talked to have either stated outright that they buy from outside sources for a good portion of their juice, or they have skirted around the question, making me suspicious that they do, but don't want to talk about it.

The variable results of our local wineries would seem to be at least partly due to other than grapes.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacks fan
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2011, 06:08:48 pm »

This story should sound a little familar. At least the liquor stores in OK are not "state" stores. (I use that term loosely)

Washington currently is one of 18 “control states,” places where the government runs the sale and distribution of liquor. The Evergreen State has had this system since 1933, and officials say it results in lower per-capita alcohol consumption and a reliable stream of tax revenue for government.

It has a “three-tiered” liquor control system, which segregates the manufacturing, distributing and retailing of spirits. The wholesalers say deregulation brought about by privatization would remove checks on selling spirits, and could lead to problems like binge drinking and give retailers too much sway

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2011/09/07/wholesalers-pour-millions-into-fight-against-costco-booze-measure/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:15 pm »

This story should sound a little familar. At least the liquor stores in OK are not "state" stores. (I use that term loosely)

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2011/09/07/wholesalers-pour-millions-into-fight-against-costco-booze-measure/

Yeah because we all know binge drinking doesn't happen at all in Washington state now, right?

dbacks fan
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

Or in Portland and Eugene
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »

Or in Portland and Eugene

LOL.  Make it harder for them to get their booze and they will resort to shooting heroin.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

I dislike putting up with ABLE.

From TW post:

Oklahoma ABLE Commission making its presence felt in recent months

OKLAHOMA CITY - On the day the annual ARTonTAP event was held last month at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, organizers got the kind of news you never want mere hours before show time.

Whitney Cross, the event's organizer, said the state's Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission called the museum's cafe and told them that some of the beer vendors couldn't provide their services at the event. Cross said the agency threatened to shut down the fundraiser if the problem wasn't fixed.

“It was seven hours before the event,” Cross said. “They gave us a good scare.”

In the end, the problem was resolved, but Cross said the behavior of ABLE Commission officers was odd, at least from her perspective.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20111104_12_0_OLHMIY299510

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2011, 08:55:26 am »

T, I wonder if anyone remembers how Oklahoma's dry laws were overturned? IIRC, the governor (Edmondson?) stepped up enforcement of liquor laws that were forcing Oklahoma citizens to drive over the border and buy Kansas beer, paying Kansas taxes and bringing it back to share with friends and businesses. The governor knew we were losing potential revenue and encouraging lawbreakers yet he knew a statewide vote would not overturn existing laws because of our strongly Baptist influence. So, Highway Patrolmen set up on the roads leading to Kansas & Missouri, there were high profile arrests, and prosecutions. It generally motivated the voters to support some change.

Deja vu?

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:52 am »

T, I wonder if anyone remembers how Oklahoma's dry laws were overturned? IIRC, the governor (Edmondson?) stepped up enforcement of liquor laws that were forcing Oklahoma citizens to drive over the border and buy Kansas beer, paying Kansas taxes and bringing it back to share with friends and businesses. The governor knew we were losing potential revenue and encouraging lawbreakers yet he knew a statewide vote would not overturn existing laws because of our strongly Baptist influence. So, Highway Patrolmen set up on the roads leading to Kansas & Missouri, there were high profile arrests, and prosecutions. It generally motivated the voters to support some change.

Deja vu?

Maybe our next governor
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44:05 pm »

Brian Howe, spokesman for Oklahomans for Modern Laws, said his group is putting finishing touches on a possible ballot language that would allow wine and single-strength beer to be sold in grocery and convenience stores of a certain size.

Howe said his group tried to get the measure pushed through the legislature during the past session, but a task force formed to explore the issue disbanded after meeting only twice.

“Now, the focus is on the initiative effort, and I think it's the only opportunity, to be honest,” he said. “Basically, the liquor lobby lined the task force with our opponents. ... It never really had a chance.”

“We think there's strong evidence this will pass,” he said. “Whether it's next year or 10 years from now, it's going to happen.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-group-puts-finishing-touches-on-liquor-ballot-language/article/3632742#ixzz1gqWPeFhJ

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2011, 08:42:44 pm »

Brian Howe, spokesman for Oklahomans for Modern Laws, said his group is putting finishing touches on a possible ballot language that would allow wine and single-strength beer to be sold in grocery and convenience stores of a certain size.

Howe said his group tried to get the measure pushed through the legislature during the past session, but a task force formed to explore the issue disbanded after meeting only twice.

“Now, the focus is on the initiative effort, and I think it's the only opportunity, to be honest,” he said. “Basically, the liquor lobby lined the task force with our opponents. ... It never really had a chance.”

“We think there's strong evidence this will pass,” he said. “Whether it's next year or 10 years from now, it's going to happen.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-group-puts-finishing-touches-on-liquor-ballot-language/article/3632742#ixzz1gqWPeFhJ
They'll reform it on the 30th anniversary of liquor by the drink passing.   Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org