A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:23:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279648 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »

How would there be less availability to the consumer?  I've said it before and I'll say it again: grocery stores don't have near enough space to devote to carrying all sorts of micro-brews and wines.  Sure, you might be able to get a six pack of Fat Tire at Reasor's, but I doubt they would carry a Grand Cru from Avery.  Walking through Collins, Ranch Acres, or Parkhill's beer section now is like walking through a library.  It's unbelievable how many micro-brews and imports are out there now.

IOW, I might pick up some good beer or a bottle of wine at the store as a convenience when I'm getting meat or produce, but it wouldn't take away much of my business from the liquor stores I frequent because I do like exotic beers and better wines.  Nobody ever accused me of being a cheap drunk Wink

I would gladly not give a crap about the ability for grocery stores to sell wine and strong beer if they would just allow the liquor stores to sell it cold!  Why do you think you can't buy Fat Tire in Oklahoma at all?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:50 pm »

I would gladly not give a crap about the ability for grocery stores to sell wine and strong beer if they would just allow the liquor stores to sell it cold!  Why do you think you can't buy Fat Tire in Oklahoma at all?

Here's a hint for you, Hoss.

Ever since Santa Fe Brewing started shipping Nut Brown Ale to Oklahoma, I really don't care to do border runs to Siloam, Ark City, Ks. or even bring Fat Tire back from my excursions to Colorado or NM.  NBA is a superior brew to Fat Tire, but don't tell the New Belgium flaks that. Far richer malt.  Trust me on this one, I know I blew it on Marshall's, but really trust me for once Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »

+1 to SFNBA

Isn't the obvious compromise to allow liquor stores to sell other items (mixers, limes, corkscrews) and refrigerate.... I'm not buying the the 'fewer products available' story.  When I go to a good liquor store in KS and MO, I wonder what the hell the problem is in Oklahoma.  There is no reason we have to be stuck with what the distributors decide.  I had been trying to find Muchote tequila recently.  When I asked ranch acres if they can order it, they told me that you can't get it in Oklahoma. I'm sure Muchote would like to sell it to me....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:43:06 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 11:48:08 pm »

Here's a hint for you, Hoss.

Ever since Santa Fe Brewing started shipping Nut Brown Ale to Oklahoma, I really don't care to do border runs to Siloam, Ark City, Ks. or even bring Fat Tire back from my excursions to Colorado or NM.  NBA is a superior brew to Fat Tire, but don't tell the New Belgium flaks that. Far richer malt.  Trust me on this one, I know I blew it on Marshall's, but really trust me for once Wink

I'll give that a shot then.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:23 am »

Rich Lenz commented on Ch. 6 this morning that the committee seems "stacked" against this proposal as 9 out of 17 members are against it.  Don't think that was just a little bit of editorializing, do you?   Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 08:29:40 am »

Rich Lenz commented on Ch. 6 this morning that the committee seems "stacked" against this proposal as 9 out of 17 members are against it.  Don't think that was just a little bit of editorializing, do you?   Grin

Editorializing, but more cogent than the bizarre bicylcing bear on a high wire juggling flaming tourches metaphpor in the Tulsa World article.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2011, 10:43:52 am »

A study needs to be done on the lost sales tax revenues. I know most of my home beer is bought out of state.

From my very unscientific looks at what's in the MET's recycling bins when I drop off my empties, there are a lot more people like me. I saw some Fat Tire in there the other day, some Schlafly in there the previous trip. Neither is available here.

Lost tax revenue just seems like it'd be a stronger argument. And for the record, I don't care whether grocery stores can sell anything. Just allow liquor stores to refrigerate and to be open reasonable hours and seven days a week.

Of these 100 best American beers on ratebeer, only a couple of those breweries distribute in Oklahoma. I can get lots more of them in surrounding states.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopAmerican.asp

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:08 am »

Of course Rich lived in New Orleans before coming here and I'm pretty sure he got quite the Liquor shock after finding out how backwards our law is.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:40 am »

Interesting, the top beer on Ted's link only has distribution in the Chicago area.  Looks like 3 Floyds had quite a few entries.  I've got to make a mental note to look for it if I'm ever in the windy city.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »

Something else not addressed in that article: breweries. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a growler filled at Marshall's?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2011, 12:04:14 pm »

Something else not addressed in that article: breweries. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a growler filled at Marshall's?

Or Coop, or Battered Boar, or Choc (not a personal fave of mine).

Apparently the parents at ABLE or whichever governing body decided that even brewery tours are verboten.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

Interesting, the top beer on Ted's link only has distribution in the Chicago area.  Looks like 3 Floyds had quite a few entries.  I've got to make a mental note to look for it if I'm ever in the windy city.

I'm mildly irritated that our bureuacracy is preventing me from trying the 100 best rated beers in the comfort of my Tulsa home or favorite Tulsa bar.

ABLE can suck it.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »

Apparently the parents at ABLE or whichever governing body decided that even brewery tours are verboten.

I went to the Rahr and Son's brewery in Fort Worth for a "tasting" and there were hundreds of people there. That beer is not even a great beer and people were swarming all over the brewery. I wish we could do that at the Marshall's brewery.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2011, 12:12:35 pm »

I went to the Rahr and Son's brewery in Fort Worth for a "tasting" and there were hundreds of people there. That beer is not even a great beer and people were swarming all over the brewery. I wish we could do that at the Marshall's brewery.
I went to their Saturday afternoon tasting once, too. It was great. Tons of people inside and outside, a food cart. And you're right, the beer was mediocre.

But it was a great atmosphere. I think it was like $5-$6 for a pint glass you can keep plus three pints of their beers. It was in a kind of industrial area, big warehouse with not much around. Similar environment as Marshall.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »

But yet allowed at wineries.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org