A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:15 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279587 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:20 am »

Four to six CostCos would seem, at best, to have a marginal impact on total wages and total tax revenues.  CostCo may pay better than average grocery stores, but they're not hiring rocket scientest.  The claim in the article was that the impact would be large.  I just don't see that happening. 
Before the last minimum wage increase, CostCo was paying almost twice as much as Wal-Mart to non-management employees. Maybe it's not a huge impact, but it's still a thousand people or so with twice as much money as they can get elsewhere.

Regarding the future prospects of liquor stores in a the contemplated environment, there are still plenty of liquor stores in other states that have strong beer and wine in grocery stores.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »

This state.....  Angry

http://soonerpoll.com/poll-finds-voters-overwhelmingly-oppose-liquor-law-changes/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »

I'm guessing the questions were skewed to get that answer and they mostly polled people on landline phones (older folk).
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

I'm guessing the questions were skewed to get that answer and they mostly polled people on landline phones (older folk).

The last question was this (of the three posed):

Oklahoma’s current laws restrict the sale of wine, beer of 3.3% alcohol
content or higher, and malt liquors of up to 12 percent be sold in liquor
stores where someone must be 21 years or older to enter. Would you
support changing the law so that wine, strong beer, and malt liquor can be
sold in grocery stores, knowing it would include products like Mad Dog 20-
20, Snoop Dog’s Colt 45 Blast, and 4 locos

Why would they include that last part?  To me, that invalidates the entire set of three questions.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »

Why would they include that last part?  To me, that invalidates the entire set of three questions.

It's called "soonerpoll".  It's a bunch of folks who'd beat you up for wearing a Texas hat but who never went to OU?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 07:24:26 pm »

Oklahoma’s current laws restrict the sale of wine, beer of 3.3% alcohol
content or higher, and malt liquors of up to 12 percent be sold in liquor
stores where someone must be 21 years or older to enter. Would you
support changing the law so that wine, strong beer, and malt liquor can be
sold in grocery stores, knowing it would include products like Mad Dog 20-
20, Snoop Dog’s Colt 45 Blast, and 4 locos

They forgot the part about being easily accessible to minors.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »

"This is an important, yet complex issue and in order to measure attitudes we went to great lengths to draft the question using the most unbiased language possible,” Bill Shapard, CEO of SoonerPoll.com, said.  "

OMG really? lol

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

You know, as much as there is a strong religious presence here, it also seems that there is a long and venerable tradition of beer drinking and outsider culture.  I don't just mean rednecks.  I mean the generation or three of rock and roll kids who grew up under these bullshit rules.  THings have gotten better here (no more liquor by the drink) and I think they continue to do so.  Maybe we have to wait for the boomers (baby, not sooners) to die off.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »

You know, as much as there is a strong religious presence here, it also seems that there is a long and venerable tradition of beer drinking and outsider culture.  I don't just mean rednecks.  I mean the generation or three of rock and roll kids who grew up under these bullshit rules.  THings have gotten better here (no more liquor by the drink) and I think they continue to do so.  Maybe we have to wait for the boomers (baby, not sooners) to die off.

There has always been drinking in OK.  Just don't let your neighbors know you drink.  Drink 50 or more miles from home.  You'll be somewhat sober when you get home. (I forego the stereotype jokes.)

Did you mean no more liquor by the wink?  Brown bag clubs?

Some baby boomers may still be the problem but not all of us.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »

Some baby boomers may still be the problem but not all of us.

SOrry for being a bit hyperbolic. 

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
dbacks fan
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »

I'm one of those last of the boomers graduated in '81 and was one of those that had been buying beer leagally back in '83 when they changed the age from 18 to 21 and couldn't buy it anymore, and voted for liquor by the drink every time it came up.  Wink
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:49 pm »

I'm one of those last of the boomers graduated in '81 and was one of those that had been buying beer leagally back in '83 when they changed the age from 18 to 21 and couldn't buy it anymore, and voted for liquor by the drink every time it came up.  Wink

Seems to me the drinking age changed to 18 about the time I turned 21. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »

I will defend SoonerPoll and pollster Bill Shapard. I have been involved in a handful of projects where they were hired to do the polling, focus groups, etc.

They are by far the best in the state in the polling business. They are one of the few companies that does cell-phone number polling and they have the staff to do very complete work very timely. They predicted the Dewey election and the Fallin election scarily good.

I think the results are representative of the state's population and mentality. That makes me sad.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »

Seems to me the drinking age changed to 18 about the time I turned 21. 

And it reverted to 21 literally two months before I turned 18.  So I patiently sat on my hands for three years after that happened.  I mean three years and two months.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »

Okay, I seriously thought you were kidding.

Nah, no way those pollsters were pandering to the worst of the paranoid crowd.  Just say: "Snoop Dogg" and 98% of all Oklahomans head for the storm shelter.

Here, I'll show you who funded this poll (or at least his ghost)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org