A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:44:10 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 279623 times)
Nik
Philanthropist

« on: August 23, 2011, 10:00:51 am »

Interesting article out of OKC. CostCo has said they will open 6-10 stores in Oklahoma if wine can be sold in stores.

http://newsok.com/chamber-wants-wine-in-oklahoma-grocery-stores/article/3596337

The issue is one the [Greater Oklahoma City Chamber] has made a priority, with a goal to draft legislation and get it on the ballot in November 2012.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:54 am »

I expect Tulsa Metro Chamber and TYPros will fall in line with the OKC Chamber.  Be interesting to see if State Chamber gets involved.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:24 am »

Interesting article out of OKC. CostCo has said they will open 6-10 stores in Oklahoma if wine can be sold in stores.

http://newsok.com/chamber-wants-wine-in-oklahoma-grocery-stores/article/3596337

Well of course!  Let a huge retailer throw a carrot out there and maybe we'll see reform.  Makes me wonder if the liquor lobby of Oklahoma has the resources to fight a retail biggie like this one.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:37 am »

Well of course!  Let a huge retailer throw a carrot out there and maybe we'll see reform.  Makes me wonder if the liquor lobby of Oklahoma has the resources to fight a retail biggie like this one.

Whoa whoa whoa...I thought it was because there would be rampant teenaged drinking and mass histeria.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:29 am »

I wonder if Costco realizes they will be dealing with the Black Hand if they try this?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

I will shop at 6-10 Costco stores if wine can be sold there.

Here's how they need to frame their argument so that Oklahoma politicians will respond appropriately.

"If you allow us to carry wine in our stores in Oklahoma, we will give you over $80,000,000 every year!"

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:28:48 am »

Do you think you should hold your breath?

Costco will not be in Oklahoma for many moons, but meanwhile they do long range planning.

This is, as said here today, about the mobsters who currently control the inventories of legal self medication poisons.

Flatuatorybogie, did you know you can order your wines from out of state and they'll be delivered right to you?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:51 am »

I will shop at 6-10 Costco stores if wine can be sold there.

Here's how they need to frame their argument so that Oklahoma politicians will respond appropriately.

"If you allow us to carry wine in our stores in Oklahoma, we will give you over $80,000,000 every year!"

"...Oh, and lobby for a monument to the ten commandments to be built on the state capital grounds."

They'd squeal like little teenaged girl pigs.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:30 am »

Flatuatorybogie, did you know you can order your wines from out of state and they'll be delivered right to you?

How long's it been since you've given that a shot?

Ever notice "Oklahoma" is not on the drop down?

If you type in "Oklahoma" then the only options you have to purchase are the products with no alcohol in them.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:36:08 am »

This is cool. Costco makes an offer no decent tax loving, job creating legislator can refuse. Close to an election cycle. The cool thing is that WalMart, who already dominates the state, will have to respond in kind. And of course, the slippery slope argument will emerge from the small package liquor stores and they will make a good argument.

Time to sit back, pop the top on a cold one and enjoy the fights!

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

If you can bleed the package retail lobby of some of that money they spread among various politically-active churches to oppose this, then it might have a chance.  These "mom and pop" liquor stores have some deep corporate pockets, though.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:34 am »

This is cool. Costco makes an offer no decent tax loving, job creating legislator can refuse. Close to an election cycle. The cool thing is that WalMart, who already dominates the state, will have to respond in kind. And of course, the slippery slope argument will emerge from the small package liquor stores and they will make a good argument.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dP1f2-7zss[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:08 am »

Townsterminator, some day I will teach you.....if you're nice to me. Cheesy
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:49 am »

If you can bleed the package retail lobby of some of that money they spread among various politically-active churches to oppose this, then it might have a chance.  These "mom and pop" liquor stores have some deep corporate pockets, though.

Not so certain about deep corporate pockets but sucking tits for sure.  Wink

I don't think this will be a big issue.....yet.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »

Good observation.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org