A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:46:59 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Dangerous Cities for Driving - Yep we're on the list  (Read 13967 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 10:16:28 am »

In Oklahoma, you are to use the farthest right lane unless you are passing.

Only if it's been changed within about the last 5 years.  I remember an article in the TW about an unhappy teen driver who was blocking the left lane on 169 in front of an OHP or Tulsa Police car.  She got cited for impeding traffic or something similar.  I called the OHP to ask about left lane rules.  At that time, driving in the left lane was legal as long as the driver was faster than the posted minimum speed.

About a year or so ago, there was an attempt to keep drivers out of the left lane except for passing so emergency vehicles would have clear passage.  I vaguely remember that if you were going the speed limit, there was nothing they could do as long as you yielded to emergency vehicles displaying their warning lights etc.

Around Tulsa, there is too much traffic to restrict access to left lane on a regular basis.  I just wish the pokie okies would keep right.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 10:23:01 am »

What really irks me is when I happen to be in the left lane and going the speed limit, or even a hair over, and still some jerk zooms right up on me and acts like I am the one in the wrong?  Seriously!?  They couldn't have got up on my tail in the first place, unless THEY were the ones breaking the law.  And then are apparently wanting me to continue letting them break the law by moving over so they can illegally speed onward lol.

While I agree with your sentiment, let them go.  It's not worth the potential road rage.  Besides, they can be the high speed Police Catcher.

Speedometers are a lot better than they used to be but if someone creeps (not zooming as you described) up on you, it could be differences in speedometers.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:44 am »

Would seem to reason that one must have pedestrians in the first place, in order for there to be a danger to them.  Can't have a real danger to something that doesn't really exist.  Wink

Tulsa seems to have no shortage of people who treat crossing an expressway the same as they would crossing Boston Ave.   Lots of daytime fatalities, but they are braver at night under the bright lights they think help drivers see them.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:03 pm »

Under the law of most states, you are in the wrong. They post those "slower traffic keep right" or "keep right except to pass" signs for a reason. In Oklahoma, you are to use the farthest right lane unless you are passing. In Arkansas, you can hang out in the left lane as long as you like so long as you're not blocking traffic.

They'll ticket you in Colorado for driving in the left lane on the interstate.  It is for passing only.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

Only if it's been changed within about the last 5 years.  I remember an article in the TW about an unhappy teen driver who was blocking the left lane on 169 in front of an OHP or Tulsa Police car.  She got cited for impeding traffic or something similar.  I called the OHP to ask about left lane rules.  At that time, driving in the left lane was legal as long as the driver was faster than the posted minimum speed.

Title 47, Section 11-301 states:
B. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane when available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway and may be temporarily driven upon the right-hand shoulder for the purpose of permitting other vehicles to pass.

47-11-309 states (with exceptions omitted):
Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall not impede the normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

Title 47, Section 11-301 states:
47-11-309 states (with exceptions omitted):

Nice to know, wish more drivers did.  Any idea on the date(s) of enactment?  Just curious.

"less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions"  is probably a necessary loophole for weather etc which allows everyone to go 35 in a 45 zone.  The guy next to me was only going 35, therefore the normal speed must be 35.  Argh!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:17 am »

Nice to know, wish more drivers did.  Any idea on the date(s) of enactment?  Just curious.

"less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions"  is probably a necessary loophole for weather etc which allows everyone to go 35 in a 45 zone.  The guy next to me was only going 35, therefore the normal speed must be 35.  Argh!

2010. The law was much stricter in the 2009 version:

5. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle proceeding at less than the maximum posted speed, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, shall not impede the normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane.

6. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. Provided, however, this paragraph shall not prohibit driving in a lane other than the right-hand lane when traffic conditions or flow, or both, or road configuration, such as the potential of merging traffic, require the use of lanes other than the right-hand lane to maintain safe traffic conditions.

Section 5 was unchanged from the 2006 revision.

The first version (2002) had this (and it's made it through to the present version), though:
4. Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such sign.

Sign says "slower traffic keep right," the law says you must obey, just like you would a sign indicating the directionality of a particular lane.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:22 am »

So, the posted speed limit has little to do with the normal flow of traffic. So if the normal flow was 80, even though the speed limit is 55, you would be breaking the law if you drove the limit and impeded that normal flow. Interesting dilemma. Bottom line is just get out of the left lane if you get tailgated and keep moving right till you find your comfortable flow. You're not going to change human nature with rules unless every other car in traffic is a police car.

As an aside, I won a moot court case in high school a long time ago using the same rules regarding driving in the right lane on city streets unless passing or turning left. My case had a driver who was using the left lane when there was no other traffic on the road. My client didn't see him and turned left into the left lane and was hit by the other car. We alleged that the driver in the left lane had significantly contributed to the accident since he was un-necessarily driving in that lane. Both were negligent and had to share in blame.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 11:11:13 am »

2010. The law was much stricter in the 2009 version:

Section 5 was unchanged from the 2006 revision.

The first version (2002) had this (and it's made it through to the present version), though:
Sign says "slower traffic keep right," the law says you must obey, just like you would a sign indicating the directionality of a particular lane.

I have seen some "slower traffic keep right" signs on 412 between Tulsa and Chouteau.  I don't remember seeing them anywhere else.

Thanks for the research.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:56 am »

So, the posted speed limit has little to do with the normal flow of traffic. So if the normal flow was 80, even though the speed limit is 55, you would be breaking the law if you drove the limit and impeded that normal flow. Interesting dilemma.

Agreed on the dilemma.

I heard rumors that the California HP tried to stay off the freeways when the freeways weren't parking lots to prevent accidents caused by drivers hitting the brakes when the saw the CHP car.  The rumors were from local CA residents but I never verified the rumors.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

I would figure that the normal flow of traffic must be at most the upper posted speed limit, or within the lower posted speed limit. It would be assumed that "normal" would include "legal".      

It would still seem to me that your not impeeding the normal flow of traffic if your in the left lane and going 65 in a 65mph zone.  Say its 2 lanes either direction and busy. The right lane may be full of people going say 55 or 60 so I don't see what the problem is if you get into the left lane and are going 65.  You could be passing a line of people for miles and miles lol. Often in such a situation the left lane may have plenty of other people in it going 65 as well.  Nobody should want to get by you in the left lane, they cant even legally catch up to you or want to want to try to pass you if they are obeying the speed limit.  Usually I will shift over into the right lane whenever its convenient, but often when its very busy you can be in the left lane for quite a bit, going the speed limit while there is a line of people to your right going lower than the upper speed limit. Its at those times that someone weaving throught traffic and zooming up on your tail, in either lane, is annoying.  Or if I am passing a line of people and I am going 65 in a 65mp zone, and they zoom up on me trying to get me to squeeze into the busy, slower right lane, I am like,,, ok a$$hole be patient and let me get past.

Also, if you were doing 65 in the right lane, and the speed limit was 65, wouldn't it be illegal to pass me? Left lane or no, in order for you to do so you would have to break the law by going over the speed limit.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:54:15 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

All I can say Artist, is that the law in this case seems to be recognizing human nature and being pretty pragmatic. Yes, they are breaking the law when they exceed the speed limit (even in passing you) and those people who dog you at high speed trying to push you out of the way are seriously irritating. But in the interest of traffic flow the speed limits are not heavily enforced. Now if you are involved in an accident and they determine you were exceeding the limit, you can bet you'll be ticketed for that.

Thank heavens they don't approach drug law enforcement the same way...wait a minute....

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:04 pm »

Thank heavens they don't approach drug law enforcement the same way...wait a minute....

I'll see that minute and raise you 20 seconds.

Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

I would figure that the normal flow of traffic must be at most the upper posted speed limit, or within the lower posted speed limit. It would be assumed that "normal" would include "legal".      

I am not so much concerned with fast as I am with erratic and otherwise dangerous.  I drive the speed limit because I don't want to pay the price of a ticket. 

Americans don't have the lane discipline to allow Autobahn speeds.  I was fortunate enough to drive the Autobahns in 1995.  160 km/hr (100 mph) was comfortable with the right road surface.  200 km/hr (127 mph) was a little on the edge in the BMW 316 I rented.  I think a 325 would have been fine.  I doubt most OK roads would be good for that speed but 85 mph is probably not out of the question, assuming the driver is not a typical US moron.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 08:16:57 am »

Also, if you were doing 65 in the right lane, and the speed limit was 65, wouldn't it be illegal to pass me? Left lane or no, in order for you to do so you would have to break the law by going over the speed limit.  
My violation of the traffic laws does not excuse your violation of the traffic laws. The law used to apply only up to the speed limit, but it was changed. A less than 10 over ticket is the same penalty as obstructing traffic. Over that, better to take the obstruction ticket than drive faster, if you assume a 100% chance of getting caught. Of course, in reality, it's very hard to get a ticket here in Oklahoma if you don't get pulled over often. I've gotten a couple of warnings (one for 14 over, oops!), but never a ticket here in Oklahoma. Not yet, anyway.

That said, as long as you're passing people, it would be pretty hard to argue that you're not entitled to use the left lane. When there's a 30 second gap on the right and you choose to continue blocking the left lane, that's when the keep right law is operative.

Edited to add: Chances are, if someone going faster than you was able to pass on the right (not illegal in Oklahoma in most circumstances, BTW, although it is in some states), you had a fine opportunity to move over and let faster traffic pass. Interestingly, Oklahoma is one of the few states where it's legal to drive on the right shoulder if you're doing it so faster traffic can pass. In most states, to be within the law, one must stop to let others pass, as it's illegal to drive on the shoulder.

And do note that you don't have to use the right lane if it's full or if there's significant merging traffic. (say, the BA between Lewis and 31stish at busy times)

And further regarding the speed limit issue, the legislature spoke when they changed the law in 2006. It used to read:

4. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle proceeding at less than the maximum posted speed, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, shall not impede the normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane. The vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Clearly, the legislature intended to get rid of the "I was driving the speed limit!" argument when they removed the bit about "less than the maximum posted speed".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:25:05 am by nathanm » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org