A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:31:44 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZYX's Photography  (Read 9398 times)
ZYX
Philanthropist

« on: August 06, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »

I LOVE photography, and thought I would post some pics from my recent vacation. I have many more than this, I'll post some more tomorrow. There are quite a few fantastic ones that I will not be showing however, because they show people's faces, for safety and security reasons.

I was also playing around with the black and white/color feature. Once again, I'll post more than just these two tomorrow. But as of now, it's late, and I'm tired, so this is all you get.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:47 am »

Very serene. Where is that?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:49 am »

It was on Pensacola Beach, FL. There are a bunch of Condo towers right next to that where we stayed, but I was on National Seashore land, where building is not allowed, which made the beach much less crowded.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:53 am »

If you are going to shoot black-and-white, try a red filter (#25) and see what it does for the sky and clouds.
Does your camera give you the option of removing your IR cutoff filter?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:50:29 am »

I don't have a DSLR, yet...so I can't put all the filters and lenses on it. My camera is about the best point and shoot you can buy before moving up to DSLR. I'm saving up for a Nikon D-5000 and a lens. If only they weren't so freakin' expensive.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:47:26 am »

If you want to play with the effects of color filters with black and white film, download Picasa from Google. It's a free photo editor and database that will catalog every image on your computer. Once that's done, click on a photo to open the editor and select the effects tab/filtered B&W.

Another free processing program is Zoner Photo Studio 12. I liked it because it allows editing of the EXIF information - the metadata in each image file - and you can search for the tags later on.  I liked Zoner so much, I bought the paid version. It's supposed to be much like Lightroom, but I can't vouch for that as I haven't used Lightroom yet. But Zoner handles 99% of my photo needs.

It even does HDR:

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

I'm just about ready to move up a notch out of my entry level DSLR (Nikon D40), although Ken Rockwell sure does like his.  Better than some of his pricier cameras.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Unfortunately, the D40 is discontinued.  He recommends the D5100 as a good replacement.  The D3100 would be viable as well.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »

Is that your daily driver?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »

I'm just about ready to move up a notch out of my entry level DSLR (Nikon D40), although Ken Rockwell sure does like his.  Better than some of his pricier cameras.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Unfortunately, the D40 is discontinued.  He recommends the D5100 as a good replacement.  The D3100 would be viable as well.

The Nikon D40 is a great low-light camera that out-performed many of their newer models.   Hang on to it.
I've taken moonscapes with the D40 that look like noon except for the sky being full of stars.
Dont know how the 3100 or 5100 compare, though.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »

Is that your daily driver?

I had a few that were worse.

Ed

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:01 pm »

The Nikon D40 is a great low-light camera that out-performed many of their newer models.   Hang on to it.
I've taken moonscapes with the D40 that look like noon except for the sky being full of stars.

I purchased a D3100 for my daughter, but it's sitting in a closet until Christmas. However, I did go to Nikon's website and downloaded a copy of the user manual.  It's a great way to compare cameras.

Later this week, I'll get an actual new camera, really. A new one, as in never been used before.  That's unlike those other 'new' cameras here that are only 20 or 30 years old.  I have an Olympus E-PL2 on the way. I was going to order an E-PL3 when they become available later this month, but my cheap kicked in when I realized that the 2 was 200 dollars less AND we have Number One Son's birthday coming up.  He'll be 21.  I offered to get him a fifth of whiskey and a subscription to Playboy, but SWMBO was not amused.

Ed

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

Here are some more unedited ones. I think I'll try Picassa.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:11:56 pm by ZYX » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »

I full well intend on keeping it.  I've put almost 15000 shutters into it and she works as good as ever.  I've got the stock 18-55 lens that came with the kit, then splurged about a year later and bought a 55-200 VR zoom that works well.  Both lenses work awesome in low light, as I used them for hockey photos at the BOK Center.  When I was afforded floor access, I had great results with it.

Here are a couple of samples of that:

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:03:46 pm »

No AF with the $100 50mm f/1.8 lens, though. An extra 2 stops from the lens over the short end of the 55-200 or 18-55 is incredibly helpful. I need to get a D300 (or D3!) someday.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:05:52 pm »

Here are some that I took with my Canon S5 IS in macro mode:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org