A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:22:44 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk Score Fun  (Read 20245 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 03:09:20 pm »

Other than your corner, I dare say that 111th and Memorial is no longer out in the country. Even as recently as when I moved here it still mostly was, but no longer.

Whatever.  Maybe you should petition the businesses there to put in sidewalks.  Who knows, you might get them.
http://g.co/maps/j2jmn

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 03:10:49 pm »

Whatever.  Maybe you should petition the businesses there to put in sidewalks.  Who knows, you might get them.
http://g.co/maps/j2jmn

The developers were supposed to put them in when they were building.  We tended to let those things slide though.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »

The developers were supposed to put them in when they were building. 

Maybe not in Bixby.  I don't feel like researching the issue because I don't mind walking in the parking lot or stepping over 2 feet of grass.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

Maybe not in Bixby.  I don't feel like researching the issue because I don't mind walking in the parking lot or stepping over 2 feet of grass.

I find the entrance to the shopping center between the bank (I think, it's been a while since I've been down that way) and whatever is next door to be far more pedestrian unfriendly than the small strips of grass. It's fantastic fun when it's wet.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »

I find the entrance to the shopping center between the bank (I think, it's been a while since I've been down that way) and whatever is next door to be far more pedestrian unfriendly than the small strips of grass. It's fantastic fun when it's wet.

There are actually two banks.  The bank at the south end (Citizens Security) was the first of the lot there so they have an entrance and exit. Robertsons Tire has a cut through to what is now only an exit from Citizens Security.  It is not a direct shot to the Lowes (and soon to be Reasors).  The entrance opposite 112th is what I would call the main entrance to the Lowes lot from Memorial.  It's between BTC (formerly Bixby Telephone Co) and the car wash.  Using that, you take the access driving area (I hesitate to call it a road.) to any of the stores.  The reason there is no curb cut between Robertson's and Chile's is because Chile's didn't want it, presumably to not lose a parking space.  I stopped at Robertson on the way home and asked the store manager.  He appeared to have the same opinion as I do that sidewalks along Memorial there were not needed.  He said at least one Jaguar (thinking it was a Hummer) tried to cross the curb to get to Chile's, made a bunch of sparks and succeeded in adding an opening to the engine oil pan.  There is another entrance between the Mid First Bank and Walgreens but I don't think I have ever used it.

With the exception of not wanting to wait in the tire shop, I don't really see any reason to want to park in the front of one of those stores and walk somewhere else.  Two banks, Walgreens, Chile's, a tire store, BTC, a carwash, and a car parts store just don't seem like park and shop to me.  When I leave my car at Robertson, I just walk home. Crossing Memorial is the only risky part.

The stores north of 111th might be more conducive to wanting to park and shop but I hardly ever go to any of them.  I've been to the UPS store a couple of times.  There's mostly nothing I am interested in there.   There are sidewalks there but even before the sidewalks, the parking lots were pretty much connected.

http://g.co/maps/p9qc3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org