A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:19:48 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk Score Fun  (Read 20255 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:53 am »

Sad you make fun of it.  Must be enough of you and your like-minded to allow contractors to skip that step.

What's next?  Sidewalks there can be like a bridge to nowhere.  Sure, a few people may use them now and then but it's hardly worth the investment.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:51 am »

What's next?  Sidewalks there can be like a bridge to nowhere.  Sure, a few people may use them now and then but it's hardly worth the investment.

Every sidewalk starts as a sidewalk "to nowhere".  Eventually they'd connect.

My homes back East were all connected to the rest of the area by sidewalks.  Sidewalks on both sides of the street.

So we should keep spending money on street widening and repaving instead of making the area more walkable?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:56 am »

Every sidewalk starts as a sidewalk "to nowhere".  Eventually they'd connect.

My homes back East were all connected to the rest of the area by sidewalks.  Sidewalks on both sides of the street.

So we should keep spending money on street widening and repaving instead of making the area more walkable?

Our places back East were also connected with sidewalks.  Where my several of my cousins lived were not.  I don't see the potential for significant foot traffic in the 111th & Memorial area regardless of the presence of sidewalks. 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:48 am »

You may have noticed the paving behind the tire store (since you had to use it to get to the tire store unless you ignored the exit only arrows on the pavement  between the bank and Robertson Tire connecting directly Memorial) extending all the way from the bank to 111th.  Out here in the boonies, we know to avoid people walking along the side of auxiliary paving.  I wouldn't walk on the paving on Memorial though.  

That's a long way to go just to get next door. Would it have blown the budget to put 10 square feet of hard surface between each of the front parking lots there? It's just dumb how 100% car-oriented it is when one of the businesses is a place where you might drop off your car.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:59 am »

I don't see the potential for significant foot traffic in the 111th & Memorial area regardless of the presence of sidewalks. 

And that is where Tulsa drops the ball.  Our short sightedness says exactly what you just said.  That means no sidewalks are built thus no significant foot traffic.

Sidewalks could equal shops nearer the street and smaller parking lots needed.  Less automotive traffic, less fuel cost, less street repair, less high blood pressure, less heart ailments, lower medical costs, lower insurance premiums.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

That's a long way to go just to get next door.

Everyone whines about car people needing to park next the front door and how they should be willing to walk a few blocks.  If you are afraid to walk across a few feet of grass from one parking lot to another you need to walk the walk.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:24 pm »

Everyone whines about car people needing to park next the front door and how they should be willing to walk a few blocks.  If you are afraid to walk across a few feet of grass from one parking lot to another you need to walk the walk.

It's not about being afraid, it's about it being inconvenient (or very difficult, if you're wheelchair bound, say) for no particular reason. Making it difficult to walk means that fewer people will walk.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

And that is where Tulsa drops the ball.  Our short sightedness says exactly what you just said.  That means no sidewalks are built thus no significant foot traffic.

Sidewalks could equal shops nearer the street and smaller parking lots needed.  Less automotive traffic, less fuel cost, less street repair, less high blood pressure, less heart ailments, lower medical costs, lower insurance premiums.

What don't you understand about having sidewalks in that area not promoting foot traffic of any significance?  I am not going to walk to WalMart and buy a week's worth of groceries.  Shops nearer to the street along that area of Memorial... NO THANKS.  It's not downtown, I don't want it to be downtown.  That's why my parents bought the house they did 40 years ago.  They were tired of living in that crowded environment.  

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »

It's not about being afraid, it's about it being inconvenient (or very difficult, if you're wheelchair bound, say) for no particular reason. Making it difficult to walk means that fewer people will walk.

Sounds like you need to stay downtown.  Next you will be asking for sidewalks on both sides of US 64 all the way to Fort Smith.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 12:39:27 pm »

Sounds like you need to stay downtown.  Next you will be asking for sidewalks on both sides of US 64 all the way to Fort Smith.

That would be silly. Wouldn't mind a trail along the old railroad ROW, though. Wink

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »

What don't you understand about having sidewalks in that area not promoting foot traffic of any significance?  I am not going to walk to WalMart and buy a week's worth of groceries.  Shops nearer to the street along that area of Memorial... NO THANKS.  It's not downtown, I don't want it to be downtown.  That's why my parents bought the house they did 40 years ago.  They were tired of living in that crowded environment.  

Dry toast and plain oatmeal it is then.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:24 pm »

That would be silly. Wouldn't mind a trail along the old railroad ROW, though. Wink

Silly, yes.  That is my opinion for the requirement of sidewalks around 111th & Memorial.  You could require them and put them in but very few people would probably use them.  

Shortly after the 86 flood, there was some talk about starting an excursion train between Bixby and Muskogee.  That obviously never happened.  There are significant portions of that ROW that have been returned to other use.  The only way to make a trail would involve getting permission from private land owners.  It might not be impossible.  A lot of the Appalachian Trail is on private property.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

Dry toast and plain oatmeal it is then.

Learn to plan ahead.  Get your milk, raisins, and honey (for the oatmeal) before you need it.  I assume you are not living in a 300 sq ft apartment if you are close enough to 111th and Memorial to walk there so a little extra storage space should not be a problem.

It's part of living "out in the country".

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »

Silly, yes.  That is my opinion for the requirement of sidewalks around 111th & Memorial.  You could require them and put them in but very few people would probably use them.  

So people who need or want to be pedestrians should just use the overgrown/under cared for grassy areas to get around?

No bike lanes in your world either?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »

It's part of living "out in the country".

Other than your corner, I dare say that 111th and Memorial is no longer out in the country. Even as recently as when I moved here it still mostly was, but no longer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org