A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:52 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk Score Fun  (Read 20149 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: August 04, 2011, 09:53:02 am »

They came out with the new Walk Score rankings.  My house got a 74, not too shabby for Tulsa.

I know the Walk Score does not accurately reflect how truly "pedestrian friendly" an area is, in other words how easy/enjoyable it is to actually walk in your area, but it can be seen as one measure of an areas potential.  I live near 41st and Yale, with the right infill and a little tweaking here and there, that area could evolve into a great little, urban, pedestrian friendly/transit friendly node for the city.

In my "dream scenario" for what I would like to see happen at 41st and Yale would be...

1. Continued infill on the OU Tulsa campus, with perhaps some apartments/student housing behind it.  
2. Shops/businesses in front of the mall and shopping center, positioned up to the sidewalk and lining 41st.  This would also turn the drive in front of the Reasors to the Barns n Noble into a side street.  The shops lining the street would create a lively streetscape on 41st when the weather is decent enough, and you could still venture into the mall otherwise. Would be a great, year round work/shop node for people using transit.
3.  Apartments where the homes are right behind the fence north of the AMC 20, and taking down most of the fence or adding gateways so that people can more easily walk to the movies, grocery, shopping, etc.
4.  A sidewalk down Darlington.

Whats your score and what could be done to improve your area?

http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:37:59 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »

I got a whopping "40"....    Which when compared to my parents "15" is great.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »

Holy Cow ! No wonder my kids dont go anywhere. My house got a 15. That sucks.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »

---Robert
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

17. Wow, that sucks.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »

46 near 111th & Memorial.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »

My dacha here in People's Republic of Owasso scored a 60!  That's mainly because we're no more than half a mile from a slew of restaurants in the Smith Farm area....on the other side of US169.  Sure, you could walk there if you didn't mind dodging 70mph traffic.  Otherwise, it's about a mile and a half around. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

I'm surprised we have a 54 around here.  Only place I see anyone ever walking is from the apartment complex to Quicktrip, a whole block and a half.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:30:00 am »

So 6th and Manhattan should be a 100.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:11 am »

I'm curious how these things are compiled.  There's a BOK at City Plaza on 31st which is about three tenths of a mile, yet it lists the closest bank as Arvest at 36th & Yale.

Closest restaurant is Celebrity club at .36 mile, closest bar is listed as Ritz Cabaret at .94, when if they actually count strip clubs, Cloud 9 as catty-corner from Celebrity Club. I think there's also a bar or two closer on 31st near Sheridan.  All that said, within the Lortondale/Hoover neighborhood it's very walkable for taking the dog or kids on a stroll, but walking to the grocery store closest is a Wal-Mart Market at 21st & Yale or a Save-A-Lot at 21st & Sheridan.  I wish there were more of a sidewalk system along Yale, but there's not.  If you are going to walk to the commercial corridor just north of 21st, your best option is Darlington and then cut over.

Let's face it, 1950's developments like Lortondale were symbolic of us becoming more of a car-oriented society.

Rob, I do miss Renaissance/Flo-Pa for it's great walkability.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:48 am »

Got a 37.  Right around the Traffic Circle.

I find it funny that they list "Dreamland LLC" as a place for books.  Sure, they're books, but....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:55:05 am »

i got a 62.  i think a small grocery store or market around 18th / Boston would help mine out.  i don't see that happening anytime soon, though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:56:53 am by dioscorides » Logged

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 11:15:33 am »

I noticed a few minor errors, like Aldi's being shown as downtown Bixby with an address that matches its actual location on E 103rd St east of Memorial.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »

Me too. I got a 74 and it shows a grocery store
Hutchinson Discount Foods Inc
1524 South Denver Avenue
Tulsa, OK
(918) 352-3456

This place does not exist. They also have Noni's 601 S Boulder listed as a grocery but this is the office for the biscotti business.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:58 pm »

Me too. I got a 74 and it shows a grocery store
Hutchinson Discount Foods Inc
1524 South Denver Avenue
Tulsa, OK
(918) 352-3456

This place does not exist. They also have Noni's 601 S Boulder listed as a grocery but this is the office for the biscotti business.

I was thinking Hutchinson foods might have been where QT is now, but that would be a 1400 block address to start with.  That number is a Drumright exchange, IIRC.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org