A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:49 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Press Release - ENTERPRISE BUILDING RE-DEVELOPMENT POISED TO MOVE FORWARD  (Read 9977 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »

Hey, at least it's an Acorn-free part of downtown  Grin

Ooooh, I take that back;

Second and third-floor tenants are screwed if they wanted a nighttime view, or the ability to sleep at night without their bedroom being lit like a billboard.  No way would I want those right outside my window.

Ive seen a lot of downtown development tinkering with more resident-friendly streetlights (and about anything might be better than those "Acorn" glare-bombs), so maybe there's hope if you start planning now.

Other than that, the renderings are very attractive.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

Unfortunately we fell short in some regard according to this article posted by the Journal Record this afternoon.  We will regroup and attempt to find alternative means of financing to move this project forward, hopefully in the near future.  Will keep you posted.

Five projects vie for downtown Tulsa Development Authority funds
by Kirby Lee Davis
Published: August 4th, 2011

TULSA – Over the next week the Tulsa Development Authority will weigh five finalists for $3 million in downtown housing assistance from the city’s third penny sales tax program.

The city drew 13 responses from its May 27 request for proposals, TDA Downtown Housing Task Force Chairman Roy Peters said Thursday.

On Monday, Peters said the nine-member task force screened out seven proposals based on their readiness to go forward, their financial resources, experience in the field and demonstrated quality of the project.

After reviewing the six remaining proposals Tuesday and Wednesday, Peters outlined their plans for the TDA Thursday. In executive session the authority determined one of the finalists did not qualify for funding. That left these five apartment proposals, three plotting renovations of existing buildings and two new construction projects:

• East End Village LLC, led by Travis Skaggs. He requested $1 million, or $18,900 per housing unit, to be spent toward remodeling the former Bill White Chevrolet block between Elgin and Frankfurt avenues into 53 apartments.

• TDL NOW for Vandever Lofts, led by Mayo Hotel and Detroit Lofts developer John Snyder. Snyder, who has left a “For Sale” sign on the skyscraper district’s Vandever Building over the last quarter, requested $925,000, or $23,125 per unit, toward renovating the former department store into 40 apartments.

• TDL NOW for YMCA Lofts, also led by Snyder. This proposal requested $1.99 million, or $29,000 per unit, to renovate downtown’s historic YMCA building into 82 apartments. Snyder would also need to buy the building.

• Nelson and Stowe Development, led by Casey T. Stowe and Elliot Nelson. This proposal requested $3 million to build a new, 142-unit apartment complex east of the Blue Dome district.

• GreenArch LLC, led by Kajeer Yar. This proposal sought $2 million, or $28,600 per unit, to build a 68-unit apartment complex just south of the Greenwood district.

“The developers for the most part were focusing on smaller apartment units, heavily favoring one-bedroom and efficiency apartment units,” Peters said.

Only one of the rejected projects was directly identified Thursday, a proposal by River City Development to transform the former Arco Building into 68 apartments. The others will be identified next week.

“We’ve determined today that this River City Development project isn’t a qualified project because they don’t have site control of the building,” Peters said.

The River City move marked a shift from their year-ago proposal to redevelop the Fifth and Cincinnati building as for-sale condos. Peters said River City officials announced the change in their presentation before the task force Wednesday.

Another rejection came to light through its own public relations gambit. On Tuesday, the 120 Development Group put out a press release saying David Sharp’s year-old mixed-use redevelopment proposal for the Enterprise Building was ready to go forward if it received funding from the TDA.

“We like the Enterprise project,” said Peters on its not making the final list. “We like other projects that didn’t get selected. But just from a practical standpoint, when we went through the evaluation of all these projects, we thought these five were more viable.”

Peters stressed that these projects could still proceed without public funding.

“I too believe some of those projects will move forward without the TDA funds,” said Darla Knight, the Tulsa market representative for the Norman-based multifamily brokerage Commercial Realty Resources Co. “The Mayo, Philtower, and Tribune Lofts all have rents exceeding $1.20 per square foot. More housing opportunity is another step forward for our downtown.”

The TDA’s original 13 proposals had requested a total of $21 million. The five remaining finalists sought a total of $8.9 million.

Since the TDA has only $3 million to distribute, Peters acknowledged the authority will have to weigh not only the best value for the public funds, but also how much funding a project may need to proceed.

“It’s hard,” said the former president of the Oklahoma Manufacturing Alliance. “You’re just really trying to spread the public money to the best, most viable projects, and in order to do that we probably couldn’t fund everybody at the level they’ve asked for. We’re just trying to figure out at what level this public money would allow the developer to move forward with the good projects.”

Peters said all of the requests represent just a fraction of their total project costs, many of which remain in the development stages.

“My hopes are that several that are not on this short list will still go forward,” he said. “In the long list we had three that wanted all $3 million.”

Peters said he came through this process feeling very good about downtown housing demand.

“One of the results of this process has been revelation, at least on my part, that there is a lot of interest in living downtown,” he said after the TDA meeting. “We’ve learned from the projects that were previously funded with public money that it has generated a lot of enthusiasm for living downtown. That’s going to help our retail prospects going forward, it’s going to help our restaurant prospects going forward and it’s going to support big projects like the BOK Center and the ballpark, because people are living here, can walk and be involved in the community.”

Complete URL: http://journalrecord.com/2011/08/04/five-projects-vie-for-downtown-tulsa-development-authority-funds-real-estate/

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »

Darn it, I was thinking for sure you would get it. I hope you are able to find the rest of the financing. (I think yours was better prepared than many of these, but that may have been the very reason you were not awarded these funds.) Thank you for keeping all of us on here posted, and I look forward to hearing more good news on this project in the near future.

I would also like to add that some of these other ideas sound really exciting as well, espescially the one for 142 apts in the Blue Dome. I would really like to see all these developments happen. (I had no idea there was so much planned) Someday...

PS. Will, any idea on when we will see the Fairfield Inn and Suites starting?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:50 pm »

Ugh, really sorry to hear the news.  How long is the payback of the 3 mill, or how long until they are able to do another round?  At least it is good news for all, even other potential developers for regardless of who is chosen, the more revitalized and thus desirable downtown becomes, that in itself ups the chances and demand for everyone elses developments.  Keep on truckin.  

As for those other developments on the list.  Not knowing anything more than what is in the article, it would at first glance seem that the one Elliot Nelson development of 142 units would get you the most new units downtown.  On the one hand you hate to put the funds into only one development, but with the 3mill limitation and the other options they have listed, you can still only pick 2 and also end up with slightly less units.  Not an ideal choice to have to make either way.

On another note. I want to thank Will and his efforts to help the Tulsa Art Deco museum find a space for our first home. Not gonna say too much right at this moment, but looks like later this month we may be signing a lease for a little starter space.  Once we do, you all will be the first to know all about it. And we likely wouldn't be in this very fortunate situation without Will and his help.  It was quite nice to hear from Will and see how he took time out of his schedule to call people, make appointments, get me in different spaces to show them to me, coordinate meetings with different property owners, and answer e-mails... all just out of kindness and wanting to help make a positive difference downtown.   

Thank you very very much.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:07:59 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 11:22:29 pm »

Hope these projects help. I have some reservations.

Sure looks like a hand out .... but then how do you spur development in an area of little residential demand?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 03:51:37 am »

Hope these projects help. I have some reservations.

Sure looks like a hand out .... but then how do you spur development in an area of little residential demand?

You spend millions and millions building roads and highways out into the middle of fields, then eventually expanding the roads and intersections and highways, then money putting in sidewalks and utilities, etc.   Oh wait a minute thats the suburbs.  Oh wait a minute we already have roads downtown.  Interesting thought on 5th street, (Mayo Hotel and lofts, Mayo Building, Vandever Lofts, Philtower Lofts and potential for a lot more) hundreds and hundreds of homes plus businesses, hotels, etc.   and not one new street having to be built or widened or maintained.  Is that any way to grow a city I ask you?  What ever will we do with the extra money we would save if we kept that kind of madness up?  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:42 am »

Do you think that just maybe Will Wilkens history with the city and TDA hurt (killed) this project's chances of getting city funding?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:27 am »

Do you think that just maybe Will Wilkens history with the city and TDA hurt (killed) this project's chances of getting city funding?

The thought crossed my mind.  Think long and hard before you strike that match.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:43 am »

What is the total revolving downtown housing development fund between 3rd penny, bond issues, federal funds controlled by the TDA and V2025?
I also wonder how much is allocated, and what is in the payback stages.

Vandever and YMCA could probably get additional Historic Preservation adaptive reuse funds.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:15 am »

What is the total revolving downtown housing development fund between 3rd penny, bond issues, federal funds controlled by the TDA and V2025?
I also wonder how much is allocated, and what is in the payback stages.

Vandever and YMCA could probably get additional Historic Preservation adaptive reuse funds.

Aren't the Historic tax credit funds on moratorium?  At least on a state level?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org