A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:26 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-44 Corridor through "Tulsa"  (Read 26363 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »

Wow! What a beautiful home Cosden built. Can you imagine the mindset that looked at it and said, "Let's tear down this historic pos and build a high rise"? It must have really been in bad shape. Yet the Oral Roberts building still stands. Wink

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »

Wow! What a beautiful home Cosden built. Can you imagine the mindset that looked at it and said, "Let's tear down this historic pos and build a high rise"? It must have really been in bad shape. Yet the Oral Roberts building still stands. Wink

Carlton?  Can we show Aqua the houses Oral tore down to build that POS he called abundant life?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 01:44:50 pm »

Carlton?  Can we show Aqua the houses Oral tore down to build that POS he called abundant life?

This is going to hurt, isn't it.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 01:47:29 pm »

This is going to hurt, isn't it.

Yes.  Wait until he tells you about the tree, the girlscouts, and Oral.

He can lob some doozies about what was and what almost wasn't here in Tulsa.

That building pisses me off.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:09 pm »

The primary structure that was torn down by OR was the Sinclair Mansion at 17th and Cheyenne Ave...I've never found a picture of it.

Here are some representative structures on Boulder Ave at 15th and 14th

rdj
City Father

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:29 pm »

The first house on the left in the top picture looks very similar to a house at the base of Reservoir Hill.  The arches are very similar.  Interesting.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »

Millionaire Row. Sweet. Has a better ring to it than Abundant Life.

Are these from Beryl Ford's collection?

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »

Millionaire Row. Sweet. Has a better ring to it than Abundant Life.

Are these from Beryl Ford's collection?

I would bet money they are.  I could spend hours looking at those photos.  They're simply fascinating.  Photos were taken of intersections as they were in the mid to late 50s and early sixties.  Great stuff.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »

I would bet money they are.  I could spend hours looking at those photos.  They're simply fascinating.  Photos were taken of intersections as they were in the mid to late 50s and early sixties.  Great stuff.

Some are from the Kendalabrum from the TU library.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 04:41:56 pm »

A couple of things stand out. One is the cool curved, acorn street lights that don't appear to have any power lines going to them. Either they were gas or buried lines. Victorian looking.

Second is the absence of cars parked on the streets. I think I know why. The 1909 pic may have a horse drawn buggy on the street. Either there weren't many cars in town or they were parked back by the alleys.

onward...through the fog
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:38 pm »

Sheesh Red, I know where I-75 is. I just asked whether 75 could be "considered an interstate". My point was that there is a highway that crosses numerous states, U.S. 75, that can get people traveling that route near downtown Tulsa. Here's a map.

US 75 doesn't provide much North of here. I've storm chased through that area and most of what runs through Kansas is a two lane road similar to what state highway 33 looks like between here and Guthrie. Heck, the minute you run into Kansas, you are greeted with what was a four lane highway (with a center grassy median) on the Oklahoma side suddenly merging into a two lane road and a stop sign not too far thereafter. Not very conducive to business, commerce, and heavy travel if you ask me. And in the case of places like Independence, KS, it winds through the town instead of remaining straight. I'm not sure what most people use to travel to Tulsa from Kansas City, but I can almost bet that it has something to do with I-44.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »

US 75 doesn't provide much North of here. I've storm chased through that area and most of what runs through Kansas is a two lane road similar to what state highway 33 looks like between here and Guthrie. Heck, the minute you run into Kansas, you are greeted with what was a four lane highway (with a center grassy median) on the Oklahoma side suddenly merging into a two lane road and a stop sign not too far thereafter. Not very conducive to business, commerce, and heavy travel if you ask me. And in the case of places like Independence, KS, it winds through the town instead of remaining straight. I'm not sure what most people use to travel to Tulsa from Kansas City, but I can almost bet that it has something to do with I-44.

169 is pretty good if you are going to Johnson County destinations or really anywhere on the KCK side.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »

I take 169 thru Coffeyvile to go to KC.   Some take I-44 and cut over.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:30 pm »

I take 169 thru Coffeyvile to go to KC.   Some take I-44 and cut over.

When I was going once or twice a month, it was usually I-44 to Carthage and up US71 from there.  US71 is damn near interstate rated highway.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 09:55:55 am »

When I was going once or twice a month, it was usually I-44 to Carthage and up US71 from there.  US71 is damn near interstate rated highway.

When we go we are visiting friends in Prairie Village which is just on east of the border of KS/MO.  Usually stay downtown at either Phillips or now the new Hilton President.

Do you think its faster to get to the downtown area via Carthage/US 71?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org