A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:07:02 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket Neighborhoods  (Read 5918 times)
swampee
Citizen

« on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:27 am »

Seven years ago I strolled up to one of these communities by accident in Langley WA and was very impressed by the concept and the design. It was right off the downtown and I think there were 8 cottages on a 30000 sf lot. Im not sure if anyone has heard or seen this concept before but I would love to see it done in Tulsa. I believe it would be perfect for the pearl district where it still provides single family homes while having good density. I believe they can put about 12 of these homes with the shared green space on one acre of land. I really like how the concept focuses on shared areas and open living. The interesting thing is many of Tulsas older neighborhoods have some of these concepts. I think of all the houses that surround greenspaces like in Heller and Darlington park. I believe before Tracy Park was raped it use to be that wat too but Im just guessing by pictures Ive seen.  I like how it promotes density while at the same time promoting community with the residents of these neighborhoods. Here is some articles.

http://pocket-neighborhoods.net/whatisaPN.htmlhttp://rosschapin.com/Projects/PocketNeighborhoods/ThirdStreetCottages/ThirdStreet.html

http://utopianist.com/2011/04/pocket-neighborhoods-have-twice-the-density-half-the-hassle/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-03-30-pocket30_ST_N.htm?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNation-TopStories+%28News+-+Nation+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:24 am »

We have that concept throughout midtown and areas of south Tulsa, but they are usually walled off with McMansions built on several former homesites rather than smaller houses.  I like the concept for smaller houses and think you might be on to something for the Pearl.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:31 am »

I like the concept too. Strange how trends recycle.

I learned to play tennis at Tracy Park as a child. It hasn't changed in its dimensions or layout so I'm not sure what you mean by it being raped. The boundary to its West has changed but otherwise it is much as I remember it. Without the wading pool of course. All the parks lost their wading pools due to concerns about water quality and safety. We loved Tracey because it had the deepest one (about 1 1/2-2 feet).

onward...through the fog
OwenParkPhil
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:44 am »

My grandmother lived in the Tracy Park neighborhood, so I grew up going to the Tracy Park wading pool.  After I realized how many other kids peed in it, I wouldn't get in.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:09 am »

After I realized how many other kids peed in it, I wouldn't get in.

That pretty much remains on my rule book as well.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:12:59 am »

Same reason I no longer use hotel hot tubs. Unless there's a woman. Alone. With a champagne bottle.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:41 am »

Same reason I no longer use hotel hot tubs. Unless there's a woman. Alone. With a champagne bottle.

and you may not know what lies beneath until it's too late...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:34 am »

and you may not know what lies beneath until it's too late...

"That's not a Sheila!"

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:46:06 am »

Ahhh, the old Clark Griswold

(yes I realize that was a pool)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 11:03:35 am »

That pretty much remains on my rule book as well.

Our neighbors had a sign by their pool.

We don't swim in your toilet.
Don't pee in our pool.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org