A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:54:49 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson Middle School for sale  (Read 25558 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:56 am »

Having a university move into an area may not always be beneficial:

OKLAHOMA CITY — A university's purchase of a building in an Oklahoma City entertainment district is triggering a state law banning new bars and clubs in the heart of the area.
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/2c1e438daa294aaba50821d5af823046/OK--Bricktown-No-New-Bars/

The University of Central Oklahoma expects to complete the purchase in the Bricktown district in mid-August. The building is already home to the university's Academy of Contemporary Music, but the school becoming owner of the property has unintentionally triggered a law that prohibits issuing licenses to new bars or clubs that get more than 50 percent of sales from liquor if they are within 300 feet of a church or school.

Mark Vanlandingham, vice president of governmental relations for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, told The Oklahoman that officials are hoping to change the law and allow the state's Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission discretion to consider liquor licenses when schools locate in an established entertainment district.

They failed to win approval of a bill during the legislative session earlier this year.

"We came up with a piece of legislation but were not able to get it passed," Vanlandingham said. "It carried over into the present session. Long term, there has to be a solution to this."

He said he hopes the fix, if presented early in the next legislative session, will be passed.

Steve Kreidler, executive vice president at the university, said it was never the Edmond-based university's intention or desire to stop bars or clubs from opening in the entertainment district.

"We are in Bricktown to be close to everything that is happening in the music scene," Kreidler said. "And it happens in restaurants and bars. We wanted to put musicians and students as close to that scene as possible. We are absolutely in favor of establishments being able to locate close to our facilities."

Jeannette Smith, executive director of the Bricktown Association, told The Journal Record, that the law does not affect restaurants already in the area.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 11:21:47 am »

Having a university move into an area may not always be beneficial:

Another "Hey look at our liquor laws and how anti-business they are" and all the other complaints about them.  ABLE blows cotton.

From our beloved leaders;  "I'm 100% pro-business...oh what's that?  Who's in charge?  Oh, the liquor pentaverate?  I see...(cough cough)...liquor is of the devil and needs to be controlled with multi-level insiders."

And then on the "OKC gets more help than Tulsa" rant I bet there'd be zilch done in the state legislature if this had happened in Tulsa and not OKC.

Over

So on the Tulsa Middle School thing...would this harm an entertainment district if TU gets Wilson?
dbacks fan
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:03 am »

They actually think they can get ABLE to change the law?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39:27 am »

They actually think they can get ABLE to change the law?

They are asking for at least discretion in ABLE's ability to fudge its rules. Seems like that could make the problems they cause even worse. Insiders, bribes, etc. The whole collection of liquor laws needs revisiting.

Republicans! Curb your dogs! Take the momentum you have by controlling practically all of Oklahoma's politics and use them to accomplish real reform in business regulations associated with business and alcohol. Otherwise you could find religiously funded educational operations following UCO's lead with the intention to curb sin.

Pentaverate. Cool.

onward...through the fog
dbacks fan
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:24 am »

That was my point. If ABLE  bends, or shows any flexibility it will lead to more challenges to the liquor laws which would potentially cause  revisions to the laws. And I doubt very seriously that ABLE and the distributors et al want to lose that control.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52:27 am »

They just need to create an exemption zone.  Curious how Ed's Hurricane Lounge has stayed where it is with TU property less than 300 ft. away if they are counting universities in the "schools & churches" code.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:12 pm »

As a guess, it was there before TU expanded to the corner of 11th & Harvard so it was grand fathered? Before the expansion, the closest 'school' property was the stadium entrance on the SE corner of Skelly Stadium.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:53:10 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:33 pm »

Republicans! Curb your dogs!

I've decided to put this on my fridge.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36:44 pm »

I am honored. Smiley

onward...through the fog
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

I'm putting it on my mom's fridge. Darn those business stifling, liquor mob GOB protecting, bureaucratic draconian rule making dogs.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 08:51:28 am »

You should have it tattooed on your a$$,thats where it will be most effective........

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 09:10:42 am »

You should have it tattooed on your a$$,thats where it will be most effective........

Stay classy, Breadburner. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:49 am »

You do know who you're talking to, right?  I think that would likely be like asking water to stop being wet.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »

You're welcome..... Grin

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

TU withdrew their bid per a TW tweet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org