A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:34:56 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson Middle School for sale  (Read 25531 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:16 am »

From the Tulsa World:

Public meeting set on possible sale of Wilson Middle School

By ANDREA EGER World Staff Writer
Published: 7/5/2011  5:22 PM
Last Modified: 7/5/2011  5:22 PM

Tulsa Public Schools has announced a community forum about the possible sale of the Wilson Middle School facility, 1127 S. Columbia Ave.

Administrators will explain the "general category" of prospective buyers that have been participating in the bidding process to date and seek neighbors' input at a forum set for 6 p.m. July 12.

The "Neighborhood Connection" meeting will be held at the Kendall-Whittier Elementary School library media center, 2601 E. Fifth Place.

Wilson is among the 14 TPS properties that are being shuttered as part of an efficiency initiative called Project Schoolhouse. Proceeds from the sale of any of the properties will be added to the projected savings of $5.6 million in school operating costs and help the district weather recent funding cuts by the state legislature.

"As we look at the potential sale of some of these school buildings, we want to have a dialogue with the community to ensure we are protective of these neighborhoods," said Superintendent Keith Ballard, in a statement. "It's important that we get feedback and input regarding potential uses from TPS parents and homeowners at the Neighborhood Connection forums. We look forward to hearing what the community has to say, as we investigate the possibilities regarding the sale of Wilson."

Anyone have a line on what or who the suitors are?  I think at least one or two were mentioned offhandedly in threads past but I can't for the life of me find the references.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:44:42 am »

I have heard that The University of Tulsa has expressed interest. I have also heard that TPS might not sell.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:00:08 am »

I have heard rumors of a medical school of some sorts, possibly a partnership between OU and Tulsa. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:45 am »

Lynn Lane school was torn down and the site razed in the last couple of months.  That is one I would love to have bought.  Beautiful old building, but hey, when you can get a place for a Quik-Trip, why keep old bricks standing around?  (Lynn Lane and 11th)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »

I have heard rumors of a medical school of some sorts, possibly a partnership between OU and Tulsa. 

Doesn't OU already have a medical school near 41st and Yale?  I would rather them build up that campus and make it a real campus versus what this town usually does by spreading things so thin all over the place that they are virtually worthless, and more expensive to boot. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »

I understand bids were opened this afternoon and their was only one bidder.

Power is nothing till you use it.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:48 pm »

I understand bids were opened this afternoon and their was only one bidder.

The Tulsan development tradition is to let the site rot for 10 years, then buy it on the cheap and build something that never would have been tolerated when the site first became available.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:09:43 pm »

I imagine TU would be very interested as it could be used to expand their University School freeing up that land for other purposes on their main campus.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:34:14 pm »

Bama probably wants to put a parking lot there to match the one across Delaware. Tongue

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

TU low balled it.....

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:51:31 am »

Doesn't OU already have a medical school near 41st and Yale?  I would rather them build up that campus and make it a real campus versus what this town usually does by spreading things so thin all over the place that they are virtually worthless, and more expensive to boot. 

Agreed.

Especially considering the millions of dollars they've plowed into their 41st and Yale facilities over the past 5-6 years, I would be very surprised if they wanted to do something like this.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:44:50 am »

Would be a good opportunity to open a nice private school in that neighborhood. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:06 am »

I agree. Kendall was a successful investment in the neighborhood that would likely feed good students into a quality private middle school.

TU should do that. It would make sense to expand their education business into a possible feeder into their university. I know it sounds crazy, but....

onward...through the fog
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:23:59 am »

OU does have their OU-Tulsa medical school at 41st and Yale, but aren't they starting a school of community medicine in the coming years?  Not sure if this will also be housed at 41st and Yale or if they have another location picked out. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 09:31:24 am »

OU does have their OU-Tulsa medical school at 41st and Yale, but aren't they starting a school of community medicine in the coming years?  Not sure if this will also be housed at 41st and Yale or if they have another location picked out. 

Yes, and it's a joint venture with TU

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20091127_11_A1_Thecre910399
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org