A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Boulder Bridge  (Read 81533 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2014, 04:19:37 pm »

If it was an act of God, why don’t they just send God the bill  Huh

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:35 pm »

sounds more like the act (inaction) of bureaucrats
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:39 pm »

epic fail. again.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2014, 05:16:49 pm »

I wonder if they thought to put re-bar in the concrete surface....

onward...through the fog
rdj
City Father

« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

Based on what a supplier told me they poured the concrete several inches thicker than spec on the approaches.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »

Based on what a supplier told me they poured the concrete several inches thicker than spec on the approaches.

¿To compensate for the absence of rebar?  Smiley
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:05 am »

Why didn't the contractor advise about adding the surge protectors?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2014, 11:54:12 am »

Why didn't the contractor advise about adding the surge protectors?

Knowing what I do about contracting with the city, they probably did and it was either ignored or not approved by someone who thought it to be non-essential. 

It may well have even been over-looked in the engineering phase and no one further down the construction food chain gave it a thought.  That may be the most likely reason.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:38 pm »

Knowing what I do about contracting with the city, they probably did and it was either ignored or not approved by someone who thought it to be non-essential. 

It may well have even been over-looked in the engineering phase and no one further down the construction food chain gave it a thought.  That may be the most likely reason.

Must be a common thing for municipalities; my brother is an electrical designer that has to deal with many of them in Tulsa county and he absolutely detests it.  Usually not building things to proper electrical code as he has in the BPs, etc.  All to cut costs from the people who have put in the lowest bid.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30:12 pm »

Hey, the failed lights on the bridge can be part of the failed lighting tour.  The County has the Expo building, the City our new bridge.  Its like a competition!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

There is the chance that it wasn't a surge at all. Since it is difficult to confirm or deny, some contractors use that ruse to enable insurance companies to replace homeowners air conditioning systems. The one time that I did see a surge at a lake home, it actually blew up an old tube type television. Of course I'm in that skeptical frame of mind right now....

onward...through the fog
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:45 am »

I wonder if they will put a surge protector on the Bartlett Square fountain.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/work-on-bartlett-square-fountain-downtown-ahead-of-schedule/article_ae24c10b-3ddc-508d-b403-a619db9b5523.html
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

There is the chance that it wasn't a surge at all.

There's also a strong chance a surge protector wouldn't have helped in the least. I can't count how many times I've seen nearby lightning take out network ports, serial ports, or anything else with 30 or 40 feet or more of cable on the end of it. Even a strike just somewhat nearby can induce quite a bit of voltage on long runs of wire. The only way to prevent that particular form of surge damage is a lightning protection ring.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:48 pm »

The only way to prevent that particular form of surge damage is a lightning protection ring.

You gonna be digging thru a lot of boxes of cereal for that one  Grin

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

So what ever came of the light issue on the bridge?  Lift rug and sweep?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org