A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:16:53 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Boulder Bridge  (Read 81542 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: July 05, 2011, 03:28:51 pm »

The Boulder Bridge, which was torn down due to it's poor condition, has been seen as the gateway to the Brady District from places such as the BOK Center. The new bridge has been designed as such with added pedestrian access and streetscaping. Discussion about this project including the original announcement, progress photos and discussion can be found below.

-Added by Admin

Construction to start in September.  Big announcement from Mayor Bartlet (sic) tomorrow.

(for those of you who have not hit the paywall yet this month.)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20110705_334_0_MayorD326400
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:01:49 am by Admin » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:49:28 pm »

Construction to start in September.  Big announcement from Mayor Bartlet (sic) tomorrow.

(for those of you who have not hit the paywall yet this month.)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20110705_334_0_MayorD326400

Wow, that rendering looks spiffy.  Looks ALOT like the ballfield.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:07 pm »

Wow, that does look nice. Can't wait for it to start!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:49:16 am »

Said rendering

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

Do I recall correctly that the bridge is engineered to support streetcar/light rail, just in case?  Or is that just in my head?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:06 am »

Said rendering

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:40:48 am »

another article on it http://tulsabusiness.com/Main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=63&ArticleID=52902

July 06, 2011
7/6/2011 11:19:00 AM
'Bridge to Brady' construction beginning soon

‘Bridge to Brady’ Construction Beginning Soon                 Mayor Dewey F. Bartlett Jr., joined by representatives of the Brady Arts District Owners Association, Downtown Coordinating Council and the Tulsa Metro Chamber of Commerce, today announced a major step for revitalization and increased economic development in downtown Tulsa. Construction is scheduled to begin in September on a new Boulder Avenue bridge spanning the downtown BNSF railroad tracks and linking First Street to Archer Street. Renderings of the bridge are attached to this email. “Building the new bridge between the downtown core and the historic Brady Arts District, which is undergoing rapid revitalization, is the latest infrastructure improvement for this area,” Mayor Bartlett said. “The new Boulder bridge will provide a needed link, for both vehicles and pedestrians, between the restaurants, entertainment venues and cultural attractions in the Brady District and ONEOK Field, the BOK Center and other portions of the downtown area.” The bridge will connect the Brady Arts District with downtown, and the existing Boulder Avenue continues the connection south to Veterans Park near the Arkansas River. Brady Arts District Owners Association President Steve Ganzkow said, “The newly designed Boulder bridge will be of great benefit to downtown and the Brady Arts District. The bridge will provide direct access and link downtown office workers and visitors with restaurants, entertainment and art activities in the Brady Arts District. The timing is perfect with all the new construction underway in the Brady Arts District.” The old Boulder Avenue bridge, built in 1929, was closed to traffic a decade ago and was demolished in 2009. The new Boulder bridge will have four lanes to accommodate both north- and southbound traffic and will include an extra-wide sidewalk for pedestrian use. It also fits in the overall downtown master plan, designed with transit potential as a downtown trolley route. Landscaping will include Boston ivy, holly and roses at the approach ends of the bridge near the outside retaining walls. Art students from Tulsa Technology Center have designed artwork for the bridge fencing that represents Tulsa’s history and culture through to the future. The City of Tulsa has contracted with Becco Contractors Inc. for this $8,296,349.60 project, which includes bridge construction, landscaping, lighting and artwork installation. Completion of the project is scheduled for summer 2012. Construction funding for the bridge comes from both the 2006 Third-Penny Sales Tax and the 2008 Bond Issue. SAIC Energy, Environment & Infrastructure L.L.C. was the design engineering consultant for the project.
Mayor Dewey F. Bartlett Jr., joined by representatives of the Brady Arts District Owners Association, Downtown Coordinating Council and the Tulsa Metro Chamber of Commerce, today announced a major step for revitalization and increased economic development in downtown Tulsa. Construction is scheduled to begin in September on a new Boulder Avenue bridge spanning the downtown BNSF railroad tracks and linking First Street to Archer Street.

“Building the new bridge between the downtown core and the historic Brady Arts District, which is undergoing rapid revitalization, is the latest infrastructure improvement for this area,” Mayor Bartlett said. “The new Boulder bridge will provide a needed link, for both vehicles and pedestrians, between the restaurants, entertainment venues and cultural attractions in the Brady District and ONEOK Field, the BOK Center and other portions of the downtown area.”

The bridge will connect the Brady Arts District with downtown, and the existing Boulder Avenue continues the connection south to Veterans Park near the Arkansas River. Brady Arts District Owners Association President Steve Ganzkow said, “The newly designed Boulder bridge will be of great benefit to downtown and the Brady Arts District. The bridge will provide direct access and link downtown office workers and visitors with restaurants, entertainment and art activities in the Brady Arts District. The timing is perfect with all the new construction underway in the Brady Arts District.”

The old Boulder Avenue bridge, built in 1929, was closed to traffic a decade ago and was demolished in 2009. The new Boulder bridge will have four lanes to accommodate both north- and southbound traffic and will include an extra-wide sidewalk for pedestrian use. It also fits in the overall downtown master plan, designed with transit potential as a downtown trolley route.

Landscaping will include Boston ivy, holly and roses at the approach ends of the bridge near the outside retaining walls. Art students from Tulsa Technology Center have designed artwork for the bridge fencing that represents Tulsa’s history and culture through to the future.

The City of Tulsa has contracted with Becco Contractors Inc. for this $8,296,349.60 project, which includes bridge construction, landscaping, lighting and artwork installation. Completion of the project is scheduled for summer 2012.

Construction funding for the bridge comes from both the 2006 Third-Penny Sales Tax and the 2008 Bond Issue. SAIC Energy, Environment & Infrastructure L.L.C. was the design engineering consultant for the project.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:40 pm »

The TBN article states:

"It also fits in the overall downtown master plan, designed with transit potential as a downtown trolley route."

Not sure if this means anything more than trolleys could drive with wheels over this bridge.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

I wish it were more like the early renderings I saw with trees and plantings along the wide sidewalk.   Either that or it would be nice to have some sort of shade covering design over the sidewalk.  If your actually going to want to have people walk from one side of the bridge to the next, that would help greatly, especially during the summer months like now, or when its raining a bit.

Was in downtown yesterday. Walked for blocks and blocks showing someone around.  Though the evening temps with heat index reached into the 100's,  if your in the shade, its not bad at all. But as soon as you have to walk a block or two in the blistering heat without shade... it gets ugly and most aren't gonna try it.  Thats the great thing about dense urban streets like Boston Ave and 5th. There is almost always shade and the occasional place to pop into to cool off or get out of the rain. Awnings and trees help too.  But "bridging" the gap to the Brady Arts, you will need interest and a modicum of protection.  Artwork, sculptural elements, greenery can add interest to that long expanse. Trees and or some sort of awnings/cover can act to add shade and a little protection.  

One thing I like about the new Tribune lofts expansion is how it goes right beside the bridge for a ways.  That helps make that otherwise desolate stretch of the street a little more pedestrian friendly.  Unfortunately for the Boulder Bridge, there are a blocks worth of surface parking lots leading up to the bridge which makes it even more desolate as a potential walk towards or from the Brady Arts District.  Unless you see that as potential redevelopment areas but you would definitely want to zone it so that whatever went in there were pedestrian friendly in nature.  Even the wide gap to the east of the parking garage just west of Boulder and south of the bridge has potential to have some shops or businesses there.  

I wonder what that area is zoned to be pedestrian wise?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:12:36 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »

If the renderings are any indication, it might be lighted like this at night:

* DSC_1568a.JPG (53.92 KB - downloaded 457 times.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:56 am »

I wish it were more like the early renderings I saw with trees and plantings along the wide sidewalk.   Either that or it would be nice to have some sort of shade covering design over the sidewalk.  If your actually going to want to have people walk from one side of the bridge to the next, that would help greatly, especially during the summer months like now, or when its raining a bit.

Was in downtown yesterday. Walked for blocks and blocks showing someone around.  Though the evening temps with heat index reached into the 100's,  if your in the shade, its not bad at all. But as soon as you have to walk a block or two in the blistering heat without shade... it gets ugly and most aren't gonna try it.  Thats the great thing about dense urban streets like Boston Ave and 5th. There is almost always shade and the occasional place to pop into to cool off or get out of the rain. Awnings and trees help too.  But "bridging" the gap to the Brady Arts, you will need interest and a modicum of protection.  Artwork, sculptural elements, greenery can add interest to that long expanse. Trees and or some sort of awnings/cover can act to add shade and a little protection.  

One thing I like about the new Tribune lofts expansion is how it goes right beside the bridge for a ways.  That helps make that otherwise desolate stretch of the street a little more pedestrian friendly.  Unfortunately for the Boulder Bridge, there are a blocks worth of surface parking lots leading up to the bridge which makes it even more desolate as a potential walk towards or from the Brady Arts District.  Unless you see that as potential redevelopment areas but you would definitely want to zone it so that whatever went in there were pedestrian friendly in nature.  Even the wide gap to the east of the parking garage just west of Boulder and south of the bridge has potential to have some shops or businesses there.  

I wonder what that area is zoned to be pedestrian wise?

Agreed.

This is especially true when you consider that the main walking route from the CBD to the Brady District right now is the "Center of the Universe" bridge.

Its trees and landscaping could use some sprucing up, but it does offer some of those things you're talking about... shade being primary.  On any given day, there are lots of people walking across that bridge over to Brady for lunch.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

Bump

I just looked at my calendar and I see November. Anyone know what the delay is?

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:54:48 am »

Just a guess, but they may be holding off until the construction is finished on the parking garage.  Most likely it is a completely different reason (My first thought is why are they starting construction on a long term project in Sept, Oct, Nov).

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:25 am »

Since we've got a I-244 bridge update, I thought I'd update the status of the Boulder bridge
Apparently they're waiting on the steel... saying there's a back-order

From the TW a few days ago:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20111126_11_A17_Constr293849

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:12:13 am »

Since we've got a I-244 bridge update, I thought I'd update the status of the Boulder bridge
Apparently they're waiting on the steel... saying there's a back-order

Steel mills are backed up.  Amazing item of news.  Sounds like the economy is running along better than some would want us to think.  Sucks having to wait for steel - maybe they should hire some more people to work those mills!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org