A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:39 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rick's Cafe American closing  (Read 17653 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:14 am »

Some of his recipes were "borrowed" from another restaurant he worked for in the late 90's.

Didn't he own French Hen and/or Capistranos?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:18 am »

I think you must be my brother. Same thing for me. Used to take dates to St.Michaels in high school.

Shotgun Sam's was a really fun place and the pizza was pretty good too. You know the story about how they closed?

Twins separated at birth! 

Shakey's was great too!  Seem to remember it was a little bit more expensive than Shotgun Sam's, but that may just be residual hallucinations from my misspent youth.

Have heard good things about Ricks, but never got there to eat.  Hopefully he will be back again, so will get the chance.

I think French Hen was gone before late 90's wasn't it??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

Didn't he own French Hen and/or Capistranos?

He was the chef at Capistranos, he left to open "Ricks" at 51st and Harvard and the Capistrano/French Hen owner was surprised to see his menu items on the Ricks menu.

BTW: The French Hen/Capistrano owner was the same AOLIs owner that called three of his customers "fat" (and some other choice epithets) and learned the hard way how the internet has changed the restaurant game.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:14 am »

He was the chef at Capistranos, he left to open "Ricks" at 51st and Harvard and the Capistrano/French Hen owner was surprised to see his menu items on the Ricks menu.

BTW: The French Hen/Capistrano owner was the same AOLIs owner that called three of his customers "fat" (and some other choice epithets) and learned the hard way how the internet has changed the restaurant game.

Ah yes, Terry The Toad.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 11:08:57 am »

I think French Hen was gone before late 90's wasn't it??

Still exists in 2011 http://www.frenchhentulsa.net/ but not Turner's place any longer
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35:47 am »

Still exists in 2011 http://www.frenchhentulsa.net/ but not Turner's place any longer
Came across this place while geocaching a few months ago.  It is tucked back in a hidey hole
joiei
City Father

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 12:02:28 pm »

The French Hen has been owned by Chef Richard Clark for some time now.   Darned good food too. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

The French Hen has been owned by Chef Richard Clark for some time now.   Darned good food too. 

Efrain and Javier are two of Teatown's bests chefs.....Richard trained them and they've been solid for close to 10 years straight.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 10:53:30 pm »

Yep.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
HellenT
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 10:05:59 am »

So does Rick have any plans in the meantime? Will he open another restaurant perhaps in a better location? I've been to Rick's Cafe a couple times and it was great but nothing great. I think I would have eaten there more often if it was in an area that I visit often or if he offered free coupons or other good discounts to drive traffic there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:36:29 am by HellenT » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:37 am »

Location was a thing for me.  Not the area, the spot.  I'd pull in to grab some booze and look over there thinking "Oh yeah, Rick's is over there."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org