A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:02:18 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rick's Cafe American closing  (Read 17655 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« on: July 05, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

Tulsa World is tweeting that Rick's is expected to shutter.  Lame.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:35:29 pm »

I haven't been in for a couple of years.  When I've been at the liquor store, it didn't look like a whole lot of traffic down at that end of the center.  If you are going to have a restaurant that's off the beaten path it either needs to be really memorable or you advertise the crap out of it or both.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:41:14 pm »

Used to go to St. Michael's Alley a lot through the 60's, 70's and early 80's.  Then just kind of faded away from awareness.  Apparently it was sold by the original owners and we all know what a downhill trip that becomes...

I still want to know the recipe for Shotgun Sam's pizza dough and their sauce!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »

Sad news. Tough economy, difficult location, and probably a landlord that has a replacement tenant or tired of trying to collect. Rick was somewhat inflexible with his menu. I hope he lands at a good restaurant here because being one of Tulsa's (via OKC) longest standing quality chefs we'd lose out on some real talent.

Good luck and positive vibes to Rik Kamp. Sad
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

I was there on his last night, completely by accident. It was sad. They said they were hoping to reopen in the fall.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »

I was there on his last night, completely by accident. It was sad. They said they were hoping to reopen in the fall.

Thanks to this thread, I now know people who've been there. Prior to this thread, not so much.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »

Used to go to St. Michael's Alley a lot through the 60's, 70's and early 80's.  Then just kind of faded away from awareness.  Apparently it was sold by the original owners and we all know what a downhill trip that becomes...

I still want to know the recipe for Shotgun Sam's pizza dough and their sauce!!

I think you must be my brother. Same thing for me. Used to take dates to St.Michaels in high school.

Shotgun Sam's was a really fun place and the pizza was pretty good too. You know the story about how they closed?

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:26:09 pm »

I think you must be my brother. Same thing for me. Used to take dates to St.Michaels in high school.

Shotgun Sam's was a really fun place and the pizza was pretty good too. You know the story about how they closed?

Mom used to take my brother and I there when it was still sort of the TU beatnik hangout in the early/mid-70's.  We would get a charge out of the interesting graffiti on the walls in the men's room.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:20 pm »

Mom used to take my brother and I there when it was still sort of the TU beatnik hangout in the early/mid-70's.  We would get a charge out of the interesting graffiti on the walls in the men's room.

Talking about the Shotgun Sam's on Sheridan just north of 21st?  I remember that the old Vegas Club over by me at one time was a pizza parlor, but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

Talking about the Shotgun Sam's on Sheridan just north of 21st?  I remember that the old Vegas Club over by me at one time was a pizza parlor, but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life.

Actually I was referring to St. Mike's but that Shotgun Sam's and Shakey's down on Peoria (It's an Ace hardware now) were fave's as a child.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07:23 pm »

Geez. I was actually referring to Shakeys in Brookside. Shotgun Sams (that's who I am and my horse's name is Alice) was a similar franchise.

The owners of Shakey's on Brookside, simply closed their doors one night, took the proceeds and fled town. The employees showed up the next morning to unlocked doors and no one in charge. Not sure they ever found those owners.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 10:47:26 pm »

Geez. I was actually referring to Shakeys in Brookside. Shotgun Sams (that's who I am and my horse's name is Alice) was a similar franchise.

The owners of Shakey's on Brookside, simply closed their doors one night, took the proceeds and fled town. The employees showed up the next morning to unlocked doors and no one in charge. Not sure they ever found those owners.

To this day, I can still taste the spicy sauce on a Shakey's cheese pizza in my mind.  In high school, the big hit was Hemi's pizza at 41st & Peoria or 11th & Columbia.  If you went by around closing time on a Friday or Saturday, chances were you might wind up with some, uh, potash in your pizza.  Cool

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 07:58:14 am »

I have never heard of this place...guess I wasn't missing much?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:45 am »

I have never heard of this place...guess I wasn't missing much?

Actually Rik Kamp is a great chef.  Location is off the beaten path for most folks and as TTC alluded to, the menu was a little dated.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:53 am »

Some of his recipes were "borrowed" from another restaurant he worked for in the late 90's.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org