A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:45:03 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Tulsa create more Roundabouts?  (Read 16912 times)
HellenT
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 09:34:11 am »

Actually I'm originally from the Tulsa area but live in the county that includes Carmel. I think we have more roundabouts in our county than anywhere else in the U.S.. I think people get used to them fairly fast especially when there is more than one. I like them because it keeps traffic flowing as opposed to a stop sign or traffic light. Most of the roundabouts are in suburban areas, so the flow of traffic in the morning goes one way towards Indianapolis and the majority of traffic goes the other way during the evening. I think roundabouts would be a little more dangerous in more urban areas where traffic is constant from all directions but for suburban areas, it's great and cuts down on commuting time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 10:34:58 am »

Problem we have in Tulsa is everyone seems to be playing with their smart phone or iPad when they are driving.  They have enough trouble navigating conventional roads and intersections without trying to turn, signal, and send a text at the same time.

And Hellen, welcome aboard!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

Roundabouts were pretty popular when I was in western MA this summer. They seemed to work there.

Also, I have heard that there is one planned for 11th and elgin.  Any links?

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 08:03:19 pm »

Traffic circles and round abouts are problematic for many bicyclists, so much so that urban planners will devise bicycle crossings that are even more of a problem.  I've seen several that involve a bikeway diverging from the road prior to the circle, then crossing the intersecting road away from the circle.  Cyclists then cross the intersecting road at a 90 degree angle, like pedestrians.

A better idea is to make the circles very small.  A tight radius forces motor traffic to slow to bicycle speed, making the traffic mix safer for everyone.  Now all we have to do is convince cyclists they should be on the road rather than the sidewalk.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »

Good idea ed.  and yes, I feel like yelling at my fellow cyclists to get off the sidewalk.  But I understand their concern, especially in certain areas.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
radkins
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »

I am moving to Tulsa, but currently live in Carmel, Indiana and and we were one of the pioneers in round-abouts in the country. They have saved our streets during rush hour.  recording school
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:36:39 pm by radkins » Logged
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:34 am »

[youtube]Xql99I1VSdI[/youtube]

OwenParkPhil
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

I panic in a roundabout.  Nobody will let me in, and I can't get out of in time to make the right street. I'm not even texting or talking on a phone!

I do still listen to Yes's version of Roundabout, however.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 09:36:17 am »

Inspite of the red warning about this thread being over 120 days since the last posting, I'll revive it.

I found an interesting paper on Roundabouts.  The entire thing is a pdf of about 4.5MB but sections can be downloaded which are smaller.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/00067/index.cfm

Enjoy.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 03:55:10 pm »

Ahh! If we only still had horses pulling our vehicles.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »

Ahh! If we only still had horses pulling our vehicles.

We would have an entirely different pollution control problem than now.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »

No, Tulsa has too many run-abouts as it is, they also started to make alot of run-abouts in Hillard, Ohio (Columbus, Ohio suburb) back in the late 1990's and I hated them, many drivers don't know how to use them correctly. Run-abouts are all over Europe and seem to work well there. Please no more in Tulsa.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:19 pm »

Since the thread was brought back from the dead, how about the reconstruction of the roundaboutish thing at 36th and Hudson? I think it's much nicer now.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »

No, Tulsa has too many run-abouts as it is, they also started to make alot of run-abouts in Hillard, Ohio (Columbus, Ohio suburb) back in the late 1990's and I hated them, many drivers don't know how to use them correctly. Run-abouts are all over Europe and seem to work well there. Please no more in Tulsa.

Roundabouts are not quite the same as traffic circles.  I am in the process of reading:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/00067/index.cfm

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »

Since the thread was brought back from the dead, how about the reconstruction of the roundaboutish thing at 36th and Hudson? I think it's much nicer now.

Is this:
http://g.co/maps/puxrf
before or after? 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org