A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:52:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrested for Videotaping  (Read 188004 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2012, 02:05:53 pm »

I wonder how these people would enjoy the same thing happening to them while at work or walking down the street?
I would like to follow them with a camera and ask stupid questions and ignore their plea's for me to stop and see how long it takes them to get physical so I can sue them for medical after having them arrested.

Do you work for the government?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »

Do you work for the government?

No.
I just don't like people setting other people up then playing a 'poor me', 'race', 'rights' or any other card just to get attention.
It's like protestors who refuse to leave a park at curfew then saying their rights were violated because they wouldn't leave when asked then had to be forcibly removed and ticketed or jailed. Guess what? You broke a rule that had nothing to do with your cause. ****.

The dude in the video I commented on appeared to be there soley for the purpose of antagonizing the cop and pizzing him off so he would do something stupid. It worked. Yay. You got arrested, made a story, embarrassed a police department and your family, and are a dude.
Feel better?

I have nothing against people video taping crappy things happening and publicizing rights being violated. I don't like when you see 15 seconds of a 5 minute clip where it appears a persons rights are being violated, and the 'rest of the story' is not told or shown and when it finally is you see that no rights were violated and the person that was tazed 'sitting in their car following orders' had just thrown a knife at the cop that came up to his window.

Just like the protestors at Berkley that got pepper sprayed for not moving. No, they shouldn't have been pepper sprayed for their actions. It was caught on a video and policies changed. Doesn't mean I agree with the protestors either but I wasn't seeing a group of people intentionally antagonizing the police just to a video of their rights being violated. I saw a cop being the jackass and crossing the line.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2012, 05:44:36 pm »

Video taping is "setting someone up?"

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »

The officer in this video wanted the journalists to simply go away.  When they didn't, he simply became a bully with a badge and a gun. 

When a public official places themselves above the law to obstruct legal, public photography, it's almost always for one of two reasons.

They are either concealing their own criminal activity
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAhHd6M2Sjg[/youtube]

or just being a bully
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZkeKmD_Ecvs[/youtube]
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2012, 08:08:16 am »

Video taping is "setting someone up?"

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

Good job  Huh
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:20 am »

When a public official places themselves above the law to obstruct legal, public photography, it's almost always for one of two reasons.

They are either concealing their own criminal activity

or just being a bully

The first one is obviously an attorney using the film in the press with an agenda but it's hard to argue with the fact that the cop reaches in his pocket, looks at the camera, then searches the suspect for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th time and all of a sudden finds a bag of weed. - No issues with the cameraman here. They are staying out of the way filming an arrest.

The 2nd are cops telling the cameraman to stop filming an accident scene with a possible fatality. Standard practice and the press knows that. The issue I have here is that the cops could've been nicer about it but considering the the camerman said he didn't have family indicates he was likely not going to turn the camera off no matter how he was asked. Plus, if he is legit media, he knows the guidelines on filming car accident scenes and shouldn't have questioned the police telling him to turn it off.
His answer of having no family is him essentially setting up a confrontation so he can get his film on the air showing the cops as bad guys.

Again,  no issues with people filming what's happening around them and publicizing unjust events. Just issues with people trying to set someone up to 'make them famous'.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:57 am »

Cop taunts teen suspect after wrestling him to ground

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/cop-taunts-camera-wrestling-teen-suspect-video-154717258.html

It's the kind of taunt worthy of a flag for excessive celebration.

But the man confronting the camera is no NFL star; he's a suburban Dallas police officer.

After allegedly kneeing, then cursing and cuffing a teenage suspect, Officer Disraeli Arnold boasts to the video being recorded by the arrested teen's friend.

"You got it on tape?" the officer shouts, before giving his name and badge number. "Arnold ... Six fifty-four!"

The Hurst Police Department announced Monday that Arnold has been put on leave pending an ongoing internal affairs investigation.

"Obviously, this is not behavior that the City of Hurst and the Hurst Police Department promotes or condones in any way," the department wrote on its Facebook page. "We strive to build a stronger, safer community through our work around the city and will continue to do so through appropriate action. We appreciate everyone's thoughts and continued civil discourse as the investigation is conducted."

CBS 11 (KTVT-TV) was the first to publish the edited video clips. According to its story, Andrew Rodriguez, 17, and two friends were being questioned as suspicious people last week when officers learned Rodriguez was wanted for a previous trespassing charge.

When Rodriguez walked away to call his mother, an unidentified Hurst officer began wrestling with the teen in an effort to handcuff him. One of Rodriguez's friends had begun recording video with his phone when Officer Arnold rushed in from off camera and allegedly knocked Rodriguez's head to the ground.

"Move and die," Arnold shouts, then repeats the phrase and curses.

In a longer version of the video posted to YouTube (language warning), Arnold continues his verbal assault even after Rodriguez is handcuffed.

"Blink wrong," he challenges the teen as he is being put in a patrol car.

Rodriguez was charged with resisting arrest. His mother tells CBS 11 she may seek legal action against the officer.

Maybe some breathing exercises.  Don't get video'd tackling a kid (guilty or not) and then taunting him.  It seems obvious.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:26 am »

The 2nd are cops telling the cameraman to stop filming an accident scene with a possible fatality. Standard practice and the press knows that. The issue I have here is that the cops could've been nicer about it but considering the the camerman said he didn't have family indicates he was likely not going to turn the camera off no matter how he was asked. Plus, if he is legit media, he knows the guidelines on filming car accident scenes and shouldn't have questioned the police telling him to turn it off.
His answer of having no family is him essentially setting up a confrontation so he can get his film on the air showing the cops as bad guys.

The set-up was "Do you have a family member?"
To which he already knew the answer.

Weatherdemon's reasoning seems to be that it would have been only OK for reporters to photograph if they had a family member present.

That wasn't some kid with a smartphone, that was a professional with a camera set up on a tripod, doing what they legally do 365 days a year.
Unless you're in the middle east, photojournalists usually make no deliberate effort to photograph bodies, and editors take great care to not publish any that end up being photographed.  That's the job of journalists, not police.
And that's standard practice.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:42 pm »

The set-up was "Do you have a family member?"
To which he already knew the answer.

Weatherdemon's reasoning seems to be that it would have been only OK for reporters to photograph if they had a family member present.

That wasn't some kid with a smartphone, that was a professional with a camera set up on a tripod, doing what they legally do 365 days a year.
Unless you're in the middle east, photojournalists usually make no deliberate effort to photograph bodies, and editors take great care to not publish any that end up being photographed.  That's the job of journalists, not police.
And that's standard practice.

Actually, my reasoning is that he filmed broken vehicles and cops on the scene already. What more usable footage was he going to get by sticking around filming them perform first aid or remove the body?
I agree the cop was a d1ck but the cameraman was too.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »

The first one is obviously an attorney using the film in the press with an agenda but it's hard to argue with the fact that the cop reaches in his pocket, looks at the camera, then searches the suspect for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th time and all of a sudden finds a bag of weed.

Holy crap, there's actually a police hand signal for "Plant Drugs Here" ?
Things really have changed.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »

Holy crap, there's actually a police hand signal for "Plant Drugs Here" ?
Things really have changed.

LOL, I don't know about the hand signal bit but it certainly looked suspicious.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2012, 07:30:38 pm »

Actually, my reasoning is that he filmed broken vehicles and cops on the scene already. What more usable footage was he going to get by sticking around filming them perform first aid or remove the body?   I agree the cop was a d1ck but the cameraman was too.

The story......
A Connecticut state police officer displayed a complete lack of professionalism when he confronted a photojournalist who was videotaping a car fire on Interstate 95 in Fairfield.

The photojournalist, who was shooting for the Connecticut Post, was standing well out the way of the car fire, so he was not interfering with any official business.

But that didn't stop the cop from storming up to him and throwing a temper tantrum beginning at 2:20 in the video.

"Does it look like something that needs to be filmed right now. There's somebody who's dying over there.

"Turn that goddamn thing off and get out of here."

The photojournalist turned the camera off, so it is unclear what happened after that.

The Connecticut Post reports that nobody died in the car fire.
Read more at http://www.pixiq.com/article/connecticut-state-police-officer-throws-tantrum

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »

The U.S. Supreme Court finally chimes in:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/supreme-court-recording-police_n_2201016.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »

Here's a cop caught in the act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/nyregion/photo-of-officer-giving-boots-to-barefoot-man-warms-hearts-online.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »

Here's a cop caught in the act.

The boots were poisoned.

Now go tweet something and I'll comment on that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org