A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:52:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers"- Senator Obama  (Read 36099 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »

Sometimes your goal is the most money possible.  We already did some pulling out of Iraq and actually gave a date.  Was that horrible?  I haven't heard much about Iraq recently.

Iraq was a whole lot more relevant to the MSM and left leaning media when President Bush was in office.  Things like a daily body count in the newspaper appear to have disappeared.  I've not seen it in the paper in awhile but I don't look for it when I pick it up here at the office.  Certainly the tide has turned in Iraq, but it's not ended all fighting and attacks on our troops.

I took a late lunch today and I think it's Mark Simone who is sitting in for Limpbaugh today.  He was bleating about how now President Obama has double the troops in Afghanistan than he did when he came to office.  To be perfectly fair to President Obama, wasn't it 18 months ago the same right wing talking heads were blasting him for dithering on the surge and not getting more troops in there?  He can't win with the conservative media just like Bush couldn't win with the liberal media.  One difference I do see, however, is the alphabet networks aren't giving Iraq near the coverage they did prior to the election in '08.  JMO.

“We’re not engaged in sustained fighting. There’s been no exchange of fire with hostile forces. We don’t have troops on the ground. We don’t risk casualties to those troops,” said one senior administration official, who briefed reporters on the condition of anonymity during a conference call arranged by the White House. “None of the factors, frankly, speaking more broadly, has risked the sort of escalation that Congress was concerned would impinge on its war-making power.”

These are things that didn't exist when the war powers act was created.  Obviously the war powers act was in a reaction to Korea and Vietnam.  This is a new type of fighting that does cost money but doesn't necessarily cost lives.

I don't agree.  Any missiles we supply NATO or an ally and any bombs dropped from drones which kill innocent civilians in such a situation could result in a much larger scale involvement and would certainly be construed as an act of war in the country we are doing it.  So would a forceful regime change.  Were we not involved in the shelling of Uncle Moamar's compound?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:45:49 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:30 am »

I bet anything that Congress votes to continue funding of the war in Libya.

When your enemy is doing something foolish, it is wise not to interrupt him. - Unkonown

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:36 am »

I bet anything that Congress votes to continue funding of the war in Libya.

When your enemy is doing something foolish, it is wise not to interrupt him. - Unkonown

I was wrong.  The war in Libya is over!

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) says "the president is not an absolute monarch."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:54:31 am by Gaspar » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2011, 12:12:27 pm »

In other Libya news, not only have we not rooted out Uncle Moamar, we've managed to lose 2mm barrels per day of global oil production as a result of the Libyan war operation.  Now we are dipping into the strategic reserves. It's also viewed as "stimulus".  30mm bbls is not even two days consumption for the United States.

What a load of smile!  I'm sorry, I really try to give him credit, but it seems like at almost every turn he exhibits what happens when someone with no leadership skills is allowed to run the show.  The Senate was a great fit for him, but he Peter Principled after that brief stop.

"Four reasons are emerging for President Obama's surprise decision Thursday to release 30 million barrels of oil from the nation's strategic reserve -- economic stimulus; a looming supply shortage; a wake up call to OPEC; and a warning shot to speculators in the oil market."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/24/news/international/oil_obama/

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »

Wow!  They got it both ways. . .

They voted not to authorize the mission, AND to continue funding for the mission.

That way President Obama can't come back and claim that republicans are trying to starve the troops by cutting funding for operations (or push them off cliffs in wheelchairs). 

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »

Firs the leading Republican on the Senate armed services committee says Obama isn't acting soon enough.  Then he acts, then the GOP say he shouldn't have acted.  Then they vote to fund it but don't authorize the use of the funds.  Flippity Floppity
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

In other Libya news, not only have we not rooted out Uncle Moamar, we've managed to lose 2mm barrels per day of global oil production as a result of the Libyan war operation.  Now we are dipping into the strategic reserves. It's also viewed as "stimulus".  30mm bbls is not even two days consumption for the United States.

What a load of smile!  I'm sorry, I really try to give him credit, but it seems like at almost every turn he exhibits what happens when someone with no leadership skills is allowed to run the show.  The Senate was a great fit for him, but he Peter Principled after that brief stop.

"Four reasons are emerging for President Obama's surprise decision Thursday to release 30 million barrels of oil from the nation's strategic reserve -- economic stimulus; a looming supply shortage; a wake up call to OPEC; and a warning shot to speculators in the oil market."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/24/news/international/oil_obama/

Hey, think of it this way. We just made up the money that Guido's $10/month/family assessment on po' folks would have made!

Seriously, though, Libyan oil isn't as relevant as you'd think. 2 million barrels a day is a whopping 2% of world production.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:10 pm »

Hey, think of it this way. We just made up the money that Guido's $10/month/family assessment on po' folks would have made!

Seriously, though, Libyan oil isn't as relevant as you'd think. 2 million barrels a day is a whopping 2% of world production.

Don't tell me, tell President Obama.  He's the moron that authorized the release of oil from the strategic reserves.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »

Terrific. Hillary "I am Sick and Tired..." Clinton wants to know whose side you are on if you oppose the Libyan operation.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/23/hillary-to-congressional-libya-critics-whose-side-are-you-on/

The times, they are a changin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxmpTMGhU0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »

Don't tell me, tell President Obama.  He's the moron that authorized the release of oil from the strategic reserves.
Why is that moronic? Past releases have consistently been effective at reducing oil and gasoline prices. Granted, it's 99% about sentiment and not any real effect on the supply chain, but it usually works.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org