A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:26 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers"- Senator Obama  (Read 35824 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:51 am »

This is the typical framework.

I apologize that the subject of this thread upsets you.  I was just hoping at least one person would be willing to discuss it.

I guess even war can be considered just another government program.

Please disregard this thread.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:17 am »

Interesting, Gaspar brings up an valid point of how President Obama has basically circumvented the law, continues to ignore his legal advisors, and engages in acts of aggression he was critical of President Bush for and it turns into a 12 message round of ad hominems.  

Is anyone else concerned that the President is not getting Congressional approval prior to engaging our troops in acts of war?

Gaspar, not sure what you were hoping to achieve by the second post, but the result was predictable.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:32 am »

I don't particularly care about Libya policy.  Presidents have had the ability to wage war of varying scales without actual declarations for at least a couple of generations.  And Congress has typically given Presidential actions very wide latitude.  This isn't a D or R thing; all Pres's have had that ability since Truman (at least).  It's a tradition that has really strayed away from the letter of the Constitution, but in the modern era at least it's been extended non-ideologically to each President.  

I don't have a dog in the Libya hunt, really . . . I think Obama's justification rises about to the level of most other actions I've witnessed or read about.  No better but no worse than Grenada, say, or Lebanon.  Etc.  As a dollar amount spent, it's about right for similar actions.   We've only now started asking for a legal justification for such things, so I'd expect there to be a lot of stretching of limits.  And that's again because the latitude given the Pres has always been off the books.  

The GOP doing what they've been doing for the last couple of years, which is flip-flopping on prior Republican ideological pillars in order to hobble anything Obama tries.  You know, like suddenly deciding that tax cuts to small business is off the table.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:45 am »

Larry, Curley and Shemp have nothing else RM.  They don't even rate a Moe.  If Kraut joined in he'd just be another Shemp.

How could he join though?  Wouldn't the distance prevent that?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:14 am »

Interesting, Gaspar brings up an valid point of how President Obama has basically circumvented the law, continues to ignore his legal advisors, and engages in acts of aggression he was critical of President Bush for and it turns into a 12 message round of ad hominems.  

Is anyone else concerned that the President is not getting Congressional approval prior to engaging our troops in acts of war?

Gaspar, not sure what you were hoping to achieve by the second post, but the result was predictable.

He got exactly what he wanted out of it.  Typical of a conservative.  Reply to your own OP with an inflammatory phrase.  That's called baiting last I checked.

Waiting for the obligatory juvenile post referencing self-pleasuring from BB in 3...2...1
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:35:29 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:08 am »

Saying that anyone who disagrees with you is committing a sexual act?

Are you guys twelve year olds?

OK.

Straight up!

Do you agree with what the administration is doing in attempting to redefine the military action in order to continue the bombings?

I'm not sure I can get any clearer.  

Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth. – Mohandas Gandhi

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

OK.

Straight up!

Do you agree with what the administration is doing in attempting to redefine the military action in order to continue the bombings?

I'm not sure I can get any clearer.  

Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth. – Mohandas Gandhi

You know, you may have actually gotten credible answers had it not been for your 'reach-around' comment replying to your original post.

You've obviously been taking hints from BB on posting lately....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 11:40:50 am »

You know, you may have actually gotten credible answers had it not been for your 'reach-around' comment replying to your original post.

You've obviously been taking hints from BB on posting lately....

I apologize that that comment provided license not to respond, and relieved any need for useful dialogue.   Roll Eyes

I forgot that type of thing could be seized as a distraction.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:37 am »

I apologize that that comment provided license not to respond, and relieved any need for useful dialogue.   Roll Eyes

I forgot that type of thing could be seized as a distraction.

Making a joke out of it won't get you much further either...

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 11:53:32 am »

Really....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:11 am »

So back to the subject.  Some of the reasoning being presented by the president's attorneys is amusing.

"The United States shifted to primarily a supporting role — providing refueling and surveillance to allied warplanes, although remotely piloted drones periodically fire missiles, too."

The Drones are somehow being characterized as semi-autonomous.

Every now and then those darn drones just fire off a missile or two.  What are you going to do?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Oh get over your damned self RM. You are just as "bad" as we are, with your head firmly entrenched in the Democrat rectum, with your attacks on the right. Hell, how many threads have you recently started attacking GOPers?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 12:30:11 pm »

A 2 hander no less......

I thought this was freakin hilarious, and was going to post a "mental bleach" image in response. In googling that phrase, this picture turned up:

Here's the link that resulted in this image. Fitting?

http://www.google.com/search?q=mental+bleach&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1013&bih=419

edited.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:32:44 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »

G & G are attempting to form a dutch rudder.  One posts, the other is outraged at the information in that post so the other posts something the other is outraged at.  The rudder keepsa movin..
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »

Oh, guido lost his binky again.

There are many reasons why posters didn't immediately respond to gaspar's bait.

One, fatigue. It is hard to have the energy to compete with his fanaticsm against Obama.

Two, maybe people don't approve of any war, regardless of the President's political party.

Three, gaspar, guido and breadburner demand responses and you are not our bosses. This is especially true when you throw out insults to us before anyone has time to respond.

Four, he is arguing about procedure. This is like the city council not approving the mayor's travel budget because he didn't submit his paperwork through their procedures. Yes, war is much more serious, but gaspar just wants to argue with anybody and anything that can be said about Obama.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org