A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:37:29 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back Alley Blues & BBQ  (Read 42346 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 11:02:35 am »

Typical OSU fan who brings up the same tired arguments: all OU fans are trailer trash who didn't go to school there and OSU fans are all alums which makes them morally superior. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

I has been my experience as an OSU student that OSU fans are far more likely to have a substantive relationship with the school (they work there; they studied there; their great aunt matilda went there).  Most OU fans that I have engaged in conversation on the subject are:
a)almost unable to cohesively string a sentence together,
b)unwilling to give OSU any credit or support in sports, even when they are ahead in the BCS rankings, even though OSU fans are likely to throw some love OU's way when they do well. For example, a gentleman this week told me that OSU's #3 ranking wouldn't last and that they would have trouble getting past Baylor.
c)unlikely to have any really connection to the school (see above for examples).  They are OU fans for no other reason than "BOOMER SOONER, M***ER F***ER!!!"

OU is a fine academic institution that invests itself in areas that I wish OSU would at an equal level (classics, philosophy, etc.).  Their fans, however, need to be reined in a bit.  For example, I was filling up my red Yaris at the Sand springs QT off of 412 on my way out of town.  I have a couple of OSU stickers on the back of my car (cause, hey, I go there and I'm proud of my school).  As I'm filling up my car, I hear the sound coming from behind me and suddenly realize that it is a rat-tailed 10 year old standing half-way behind the door of his parent’s van chanting "OU, OU, OU...",  louder every time.  By the time I pulled away he was screaming it at me.  That may just simply be par for the course in Sand Springs, it certainly has set the bar for me on fans of OU.

There's an old saying: "Cowboy fans went to Stillwater.  Gooner fans went to Wal-Mart."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

all OU fans are trailer trash who didn't go to school there and OSU fans are all alums which makes them morally superior.  

Ok.  And your point is..Huh??

Must be an OU fan - there is a level of reality comprehension.  Good to hear that!

How do you get the OU graduate off your front porch?     Pay him for the pizza....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

I wasn't saying that ALL OU fans are that way.  I would hope that OU grads and those connected to the university support their school.  I think that OU ends up with alot more the the unaffiliated fans because they have been so successful for so many years.  If the two schools flipped flopped in the BCS rankings permanently starting this year, I think there would be a slow exodus to OSU.  The other way to test this theory is if Oklahoma ever got a pro football team.  Those who were just suporting Oklahoma (the state) and not really the UNIVERSITY of Oklahoma would probs switch over.

I don't know why I brought this up.  Serious thread drift.  I don't even like football (baseball and hockey are my sports) and I like NCAA football even less.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 08:12:16 pm »

I wasn't saying that ALL OU fans are that way.  I would hope that OU grads and those connected to the university support their school.  I think that OU ends up with alot more the the unaffiliated fans because they have been so successful for so many years.  If the two schools flipped flopped in the BCS rankings permanently starting this year, I think there would be a slow exodus to OSU.  The other way to test this theory is if Oklahoma ever got a pro football team.  Those who were just suporting Oklahoma (the state) and not really the UNIVERSITY of Oklahoma would probs switch over.

I don't know why I brought this up.  Serious thread drift.  I don't even like football (baseball and hockey are my sports) and I like NCAA football even less.

Rugby!!!  A REAL man's sport!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

Rugby!!!  A REAL man's sport!!

Rugby is good fun.  My little brother played for tulsa mens for a year or so.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »

Rugby is good fun.  My little brother played for tulsa mens for a year or so.

I just love a good blood sport!!

rdj
City Father

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:21 am »

Oklahoma Joe's is putting the finishing touches on their smoke shack and it looks like a few more weeks before they open. I cant wait to try them. Once I see when it opens I will post it. I drive by it everyday going to work.

This is in the old Runts near Bass Pro in BA, correct?  The downtown deal did fall through.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:57 am »

This is in the old Runts near Bass Pro in BA, correct?  The downtown deal did fall through.

That is correct. I cant wait.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 11:56:17 am »

Yes.  Drove by over the weekend and saw people working at the back of the building.

Soon, I hope.

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

Back AlleyBlues BBQ
10/31/2011
4 of us sat at bar at 845pm....not very busy at all so we opted for the bar seating...bartender was messing with some ratty speakers with pawn shop price tags on bar for several minutes before he greeted us...if he was really the bartender...couldnt tell at this point. We tried to order...
They were out of ribs....(bummer). We asked if they were out of anything else "nope, just the ribs; and I ate them all" he said without apology for being out.
We ordered other things than ribs; which we enjoyed. But the service was HORRIBLE from this bartender/server! He couldnt even get silverware in front of us. Time for desert.... bartender was doing his third shot with friends at end of bar...Buttermilk pie???...."Nope were out"....refill a water glass? Impossible.
Will not happen again.
Last time I was in also sat at bar for OU/Florida State game....they had doubled booked bands...so we got to see and hear all the lack of management crap from both bands and bartender argueing over what had happened. Nice....not.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:05 am »

How does a BBQ joint run out of ribs?  That's kind of a staple menu item.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 10:48:53 am »

How does a BBQ joint run out of ribs?  That's kind of a staple menu item.

I'm afraid I've had the "out of everything but sausage".  It happens.

We changed to Asian food that evening and came back for BBQ another eve.

The bartender thing is another story.  Never had bad service like that there.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 10:56:04 am »

The couple of times I have been to Back Alley, the service was ok - not great, but ok.  Never got the out of ribs thing, though.  That is bizarre.

Only place I ever consistently experienced "out of ribs" was at Wildhorse Mountain in Sallisaw.  Cantankerous old fart (my favorite kind of people) made a certain amount every day and when they ran out, they were out.  Check back tomorrow.  And make sure you get there a little earlier.  Great barbeque!!

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:44 am »

Totally understand how a bbq joint runs out of ribs and I/we were ok w/ that. But service like we got sucked! We were a joking casual group who go out OFTEN (although the other 3 in my group had not been to BackAlley)...we even asked if there were other surprizes to be had and this dolt of an "employee" reassured us that they were good on all other menu items. But he did not know thing one about serving patrons. Wouldnt let this guy serve anything other than a mop to the floor if I owned this place. $$$$&my time for food drink and SERVICE!!! apparently not possible at this place.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org