A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:29:57 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53153 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2012, 08:54:11 am »

Pappadeaux on Oak Lawn was one of my favorites in Dallas. I think the chain started in Arkansas, not sure why we haven't seen any in Oklahoma. Don't know too much about the other brands of Pappa's restaurants.

A similar restaurant with a little more casual atmosphere that I enjoyed was Razzoo's Cajun Cafe. Would be a fun addition around the Blue Dome.

Chain started with the father in Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee in the 40s.  The sons moved to south Texas and decided to run it from there where it became immensely more popular.  Not sure how many of those non-Texas locations survived the move to south Texas, but know that it essentially remained a Texas staple in the nineties when I was living there.

Edit:

Excerpt from WikiPedia:

In 1989, after concentrating their business in Houston where they had more than 25 Pappas dining spots, the family began expanding into Dallas and Austin. The company had several firmly established and profitable concepts, including Pappas Seafood House, Café Pappadeaux, Little Pappas Seafood Kitchen, Pappamia Cucina Italiana, Pappasito's Cantina, and Pappas Brisket House barbecue place. In 1992, the business broke into the San Antonio market with one of its Pappasito's Cantina Mexican food eateries. The company planned to open another Pappasito's and the Pappas' Cajun seafood concept, Pappadeux Seafood Kitchen, in San Antonio by the fall of 1993. Each of these restaurants included 10,000 to 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2) of space, was designed by the Pappas' architectural staff, and was built by the company's in-house construction crew.

I can remember them building a Pappadeaux right next to my office in Houston.  Good food.  Also went to the seafood place (Pappas) many times.  Never went to their TexMex restaurant; as I favored Ninfa's at the time.  Best tortilla soup on the planet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:46:17 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

Doesn't Billy's On The Square fit that niche now?

Sorta? 

I don't know if Billy's does breakfast or dinner, and there's definitely no emphasis on coffee-culture, which I think is central to Panera/Cosi.  Meaning not just coffee, but comfy stay-awhile seating, wifi, that kind of thing.  Panera/Cosi also have that third-place vibe -- that place that isn't work and isn't home, which is kinda the whole point of their business model.  Billy's may offer those services but having been there more than my fair share, I can't say you'd want to hang out there for more than the span of time it takes to eat a burger.

If Cosmo Cafe wanted to put out a shingle DT, that might also work. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:33 am »

Other than in the full-service hotels, is there really a demand for a breakfast place?  I just assume most people grab something at home or on their way downtown.  Is there also a need for a coffee place for hipsters to bum free wi-fi in the off-traffic hours downtown?  I just figure the lounge areas at TCC or OSU/Tulsa serve that market the best.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2012, 09:52:59 am »

. Where else do you get a steak downtown?

Juniper. If you haven't eaten there yet then stop what you are doing and go right now
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:35 am »

Other than in the full-service hotels, is there really a demand for a breakfast place?  I just assume most people grab something at home or on their way downtown.  Is there also a need for a coffee place for hipsters to bum free wi-fi in the off-traffic hours downtown?  I just figure the lounge areas at TCC or OSU/Tulsa serve that market the best.

Hippy Hipsters are already draped over the couches at The Gypsy, I don't think Topeca is ironic enough for them.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2012, 09:58:49 am »

Hippy Hipsters are already draped over the couches at The Gypsy, I don't think Topeca is ironic enough for them.

Consarn those hipsters and their skinny jeans and porkpie hats and negative body fat counts.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:28 am »

The hipsters arn't at the gypsy.  THose are the overly earnest arty types.  They usually are under 21 and write large amounts of bad poetry.  I know, I used to run their open mic.  The hipsters I know are really into good coffee and would much rather be/work at Topeca.  Some of the most hipster type people I know work at Topeca (including roastery).

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
rdj
City Father

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2012, 10:09:05 am »

Ruth's Chris is good, but I find the steaks have too much butter on them.  I'd much prefer Morton's or my personal favorite, Capital Grille.

Brady Tavern serves a good steak.  FWIW, The Summit serves a great steak and many times they'll have a buffalo cut available.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:18 am »

The hipsters arn't at the gypsy.  THose are the overly earnest arty types.  They usually are under 21 and write large amounts of bad poetry.  I know, I used to run their open mic.  The hipsters I know are really into good coffee and would much rather be/work at Topeca.  Some of the most hipster type people I know work at Topeca (including roastery).

I'll second that.  I've attended one of their Throwdowns (latte art competition) and my jeans, t-shirt & Chuck Taylor's make me stand out.  Lot's of "cool kids" in the room and plenty of fedoras.  But, that's not to say they aren't great people, because its a very accepting crowd of hipsters.  I absolutely love Topeca Cafe and Joebots Coffee.  Great coffee, great owners, great baristas and two very different but great atmospheres.

Are the hipsters still hanging out at The Max or did the Affliction and True Religion jeans finally run them off?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:17 am »

I thought the hipsters were at Soundpony.

Am I getting out of touch?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2012, 10:23:19 am »

Am I getting out of touch?

Speed racer types too.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:06 am »

Ruth's Chris is good, but I find the steaks have too much butter on them.  I'd much prefer Morton's or my personal favorite, Capital Grille.

Brady Tavern serves a good steak.  FWIW, The Summit serves a great steak and many times they'll have a buffalo cut available.

Capital Grille? Are you buying?

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menus/D1_Dinner.pdf
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:13 am »

we are.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2012, 10:42:39 am »

Wholly snapple ! Do you extend your pinky out when you drink too ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
dbacks fan
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:09 am »

Wholly snapple ! Do you extend your pinky out when you drink too ?

I have been to Capital Grille, Flemmings and RC and I can only reference the ones in the Phoenix area, all of them are located in upscale/high end areas. RC and Capital are located in the Biltmore area which is just about three miles from all of the major resorts, Phoenecian/Biltmore/Camel Back and an area where there are corp hqs and financial businesses, and the same two are in North Scottsdale near TPC Scottsdale/what used to be the Princess Resort/ Discount Tire HQ/Heinkel-Dial Corp HQ/ and several financial businesses and Flemmings is in the heart of resorts in Scottsdale.

With the rebirth of DT I think Ruth's is a good addition, and with other business building or moving DT I think it will do well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org