A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:16 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa World: County OKs funds for land for a new juvenile justice center  (Read 70049 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:57 pm »

Perry said there is not timetable for building a new juvenile courthouse and Tulsa County has not proposed a plan to pay the estimated $30-million plus cost.

So all this means is Story got $2.5 million.  Out of curiosity, why not just've domained his butt?

Tulsa:  "We likey, we takey."
dbacks fan
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »

How much you want to bet after they pay Storey, they rent the land back to him for $1.00/year until he finds a new location, and they still pay him for TCSO impounds?
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:14 am »

The contract requires that the seller to fully remediate all environmental issues at no cost to the buyer before closing, including those which predate them and to fully VACATE within a fixed period of time after closing.  Once vacated the County intends to demolish the buildings and clear the site to prevent other issues.  There have been NO discussions whatsoever in any meetings I have been in about a lease back arrangement, the Story family stated early on they had identified a new location and we're anxious to relocate.  Sorry no conspiracy here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:08:28 am by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:00 am »

So all this means is Story got $2.5 million.  Out of curiosity, why not just've domained his butt?

Tulsa:  "We likey, we takey."
Many think it does but it simply does not work that way and if it did any and all remediation costs would be on the County as the taker gets it as is with no guarantee of a clean site certificate from the State Health Department.   

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

Sorry no conspiracy here.

Oh, we are just getting started.

I heard that Sarah Palin was behind all of this. Jimmy Hoffa's brother is buried underneath the ground there. The county is going to build using prison labor just so they can smuggle weapons over the border to Mexico. The entire structure is planned to open on the day of Rapture. The intials JJ for Juvenile Justice is really code for Johnson and Johnson, who plan to have kids make cheap bandages to sell at WalMart.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:56 am »

I heard that Sarah Palin was behind all of this. Jimmy Hoffa's brother is buried underneath the ground there. The county is going to build using prison labor just so they can smuggle weapons over the border to Mexico. The entire structure is planned to open on the day of Rapture. The intials JJ for Juvenile Justice is really code for Johnson and Johnson, who plan to have kids make cheap bandages to sell at WalMart.

You forgot George W. Bush.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2011, 11:25:04 am »

You forgot George W. Bush.

Michael Moore will get to him when the movie comes out.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2011, 01:01:15 pm »

I knew it.
Truman
Citizen

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

The contract requires that the seller to fully remediate all environmental issues at no cost to the buyer before closing, including those which predate them and to fully VACATE within a fixed period of time after closing.  Once vacated the County intends to demolish the buildings and clear the site to prevent other issues.  There have been NO discussions whatsoever in any meetings I have been in about a lease back arrangement, the Story family stated early on they had identified a new location and we're anxious to relocate.  Sorry no conspiracy here.

This promise is offered with an ongoing "Brownfield" assessment,
I would suspect there are monetary limits to which Storey is required to go.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

It looks like this will be get built.  Both county propositions for the new Justice Center at Archer & Elwood and the jail expansion are passing by wide margins.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2016, 12:10:16 pm »

Juvenile Justice Center will be near Downtown

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/juvenile-justice-center-will-be-near-downtown

Tulsa’s new Juvenile Justice Center will be just north of downtown Tulsa. County leaders met today to discuss the site for the center.

After a lengthy debate and an executive session, they selected a location near the DayCenter for the Homeless, Salvation Army and the Tulsa Jail. It will be at the Storey Wrecker impound lot.

The County will pay $5.6 million for the seven acres of land. Construction will begin next year. It should be finished in 2019.

There had been speculation that the board would locate site at 36th Street North and Martin Luther King. Residents had opposed that site.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2016, 12:24:43 pm »

That area could have been really neat. Just an out of the area location, cut off. Those areas either become really cool, or basically a dead area.

While I don't think a juvenile justice center is really a huge detriment to an area, certainly adding it to the Day Center for the Homeless, the Salvation Army,  a jail, a slew of bail bonds places, and John 3:16 mission just down the road pretty well marks the area as a development write off. 

The Story Wrecker site is huge. Is this building that big? Would be nice if they added green space or something to contribute to the area.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:56 pm »

That area could have been really neat. Just an out of the area location, cut off. Those areas either become really cool, or basically a dead area.

While I don't think a juvenile justice center is really a huge detriment to an area, certainly adding it to the Day Center for the Homeless, the Salvation Army,  a jail, a slew of bail bonds places, and John 3:16 mission just down the road pretty well marks the area as a development write off. 

The Story Wrecker site is huge. Is this building that big? Would be nice if they added green space or something to contribute to the area.

Is this the area someone mentioned on here as a brown site?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2016, 12:37:11 pm »

yes.

read earlier comments

Power is nothing till you use it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »

What's the location?  When the Tulsa World say's "north of downtown," I think Brady Heights.  I think they think north of the RR tracks. 

Can someone explain what corner /street we're talking about?  Is this that lot between Guthrie and Elwood, just north of the tracks?

I'm more concerned with what they build and the way it impacts the street than I'm worried about the building's use.  So if they build another dead, blank wall and line it with barbed wire, yes, I have a problem.  If they build something with a decent urban street front that has some dignity, it will be fine.

I have always been fascinated by the little intact block of Guthrie just north of the tracks.  If this were located anywhere else downtown, it would be a thriving entertainment district.  As it is, cut off by the highway, RR tracks, super-blocks, one-way streets, the BOK Center...it's like a little eddy in a river where stuff collects, but nothing flows through.

If they plan to build something nice across the street from these buildings, there is potential for those buildings to maybe create some synergies with the juvenile center.  Maybe some non-profits, offices, or other support professionals would locate there.  (And I DON'T mean bail bondsmen!)  Maybe tutors, therapists, something...  Who knows...  I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I'm tired of everyone always assuming the worst.  So I'm pitching a better case scenario.  Fingers crossed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org