A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:13:01 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "NO Relief for Missouri"  (Read 11563 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:02 am »

Cantor Says Congress Won’t Pay For Missouri Disaster Relief Unless Spending Is Cut Elsewhere

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/24/cantor-disaster-relief/

Obama had announced he was headed to Joplin on Sunday and he promised he would resurrect Joplin with Federal funds. So, this putz Cantor steps out front to lay the down the fundie position.

Why are repiglicans so ruthless?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:26:38 am »

Cantor Says Congress Won’t Pay For Missouri Disaster Relief Unless Spending Is Cut Elsewhere

Obama had announced he was headed to Joplin on Sunday and he promised he would resurrect Joplin with Federal funds. So, this putz Cantor steps out front to lay the down the fundie position.

Why was President Obama swilling beer in Ireland yesterday instead of being en-route to Joplin?

Seemed a relevant issue when NOLA was wrecked by Katrina in '05.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:37:05 am »

Why was President Obama swilling beer in Ireland yesterday instead of being en-route to Joplin?

Seemed a relevant issue when NOLA was wrecked by Katrina in '05.

That's ridiculous and you know it.

Why are you here?

"An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged
It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge" Bob Dylan (Happy birthday Bob!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:43:06 am by Teatownclown » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:36 am »

Chasing down relatives he found on ancestory.com.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

That's ridiculous and you know it.

Why are you here?

Really?  Wasn't ridiculous when President Bush was called racist for not being in NOLA as soon as the storm passed.  Personally, I think POTUS going to the epicenter of major disasters for photo ops is ridiculous.  It only serves to hamper relief efforts for a few hours while the President appears concerned.

Joplin will get aid.  Cantor, like many other apes in the GOP picks the wrong time to open his yapper on the issue of offsetting spending.  I don't have a problem borrowing in the event of an emergency.  

However, we've had a lot of man-made and natural disasters over the course of the last ten years we've kept borrowing to cover.  Putting this into the correct context, we've got to quit borrowing for our every day expenditures while also trying to cover every single disaster which befalls us within our borders and overseas.  Our pattern of spending is unsustainable, regardless how worthy the expenditure seems.

Borrowing money to pay for a broken air conditioner is one thing, borrowing money to buy groceries without paying it back for 30 years while borrowing more is entirely another.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:17:37 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »

Borrowing money to pay for a broken air conditioner is one thing, borrowing money to buy groceries without paying it back for 30 years while borrowing more is entirely another. 
I seem to remember being on track to pay off the groceries we bought in the 80s and early-mid 90s until a few someones decided it would be a fantastic thing to double the size of our security apparatus and start acting like fascists with the unconstitutional spying. (which Obama has done exactly zero to address, one of my biggest disappointments with him)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:14:36 pm »

Chasing down relatives he found on ancestory.com.

Ahh yes!  The O'Bamas.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »

LOL!

Like any disaster that happens in our neck of the woods, we assist, rescue, and rebuild before the federal government even knows what happened to us.  If the city of Moore was in New York state, it would still be flat, and the unions would still be battling over contracts!

Visiting Joplin is not going to buy President O'Bama any votes, therefore it is not a priority, and until they get the debris off of the greens at Twin Hills, there is little reason for him to be in Joplin.  Sunday will be fine for his visit.  Less disruptive.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

Yeah, that's why we never get any FEMA dollars, Gaspar. Your disconnect from reality is rather shocking.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:52:05 pm »

Yeah, that's why we never get any FEMA dollars, Gaspar. Your disconnect from reality is rather shocking.

Someone returned from vacay in a good mood.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »

Someone returned from vacay in a good mood.
Someone returned from vacay only to see that some of our poster's reasoning capabilities had diminished during the interim. When ideology trumps facts, it's not possible to form consensus. Without consensus, our system of government cannot function.

Edited to add: And my English skills seem to have also gone south.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

Someone returned from vacay only to see that some of our poster's reasoning capabilities had diminished during the interim. When ideology trumps facts, it's not possible to form consensus. Without consensus, our system of government cannot function.

I misread.  You are in a good mood but the Colorado Kolsch gave you a superiority complex.  Grin

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »

Nahhh, my reality is simply not dictated by others Wink. . .or by my government.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »

I misread.  You are in a good mood but the Colorado Kolsch gave you a superiority complex.  Grin
That Kolsch (and four of the other beers I tried) was freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, the Steam Engine Ale was not so tasty. Sad

I wish the stop in Pagosa had been in the cards. Oh well, that's what next time is for, eh?

Gaspar: reality is dictated by facts. You can ignore them and create your own, but that's the definition of disconnected from reality.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 03:08:26 pm »

Ok, back to this (I'm still chuckling a little).

Are you saying that we should just sit back and wait for the trailers and government checks to roll in rather than springing into action and shouldering the responsibility of rebuilding our lives after a disaster?

I know, you are being sarcastic, but even without FEMA dollars I have a great deal of pride in the way that folks in this part of the country handle NATURAL disasters.  Our first inclination is not to go for the federal purse.

I'm willing to bet there will not be a single murder, rape or stabbing in the Red Cross shelters up in Joplin. I also have yet to hear of any looting.  We love you Joplin, and who knows, it may be us next. . .perhaps very soon.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org