A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:48:10 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “I’d rather die in midtown than live in south Tulsa”  (Read 44218 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:07 am »

Jenks SE.  That's where we moved.

and yet no one ever posts on JenksNow.

Further proof that Tulsa is the center.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:47 am »

and yet no one ever posts on JenksNow.

Further proof that Tulsa is the center.

Still live in Tulsa.  Juuuuuust barely.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »

Jenks SE.  That's where we moved.

Ditto.  Good move.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
kuslamb
Citizen

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »

The tone of this board is great, especially coming from Downtown KC.  People who lived in DT KC or Midtown KC regarded the suburbs, or even parts of KC South of the plaza (especially in Kansas) as the worst part of the world.  Throw in the whole KC Missouri vs. KC Kansas thing and it really got ugly, especially in regards to the competition to lure companies out of one state and into the other. 

Major factors were the previously mentioned competition over companies, income disparity between Missouri and Kansas, the fact that many of the wealthiest living in Johnson County Kansas worked in downtown Kansas City (located in Missouri).

Regardless of Tulsa's issues, be happy that we do not live on a state line and rely on the cooperation of 2 city and 2 state governments to get anything accomplished, all while stabbing at each other.

FYI, I live in South Tulsa, was raised here, children will go to Jenks SE, and spend most of my weekends at the golf course or downtown/midtown.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »

Welcome aboard!
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:27 pm »

I can no longer claim to be a Southy, I have migrated back East, and looks like I'll be here for a while
David
Citizen

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2011, 02:37:36 am »

I love midtown, but the hate for South Tulsa is annoying. The mid-south areas from 61st to 91st between Lewis and Sheridan is a great area of Tulsa.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2011, 07:42:25 am »

I love midtown, but the hate for South Tulsa is annoying. The mid-south areas from 61st to 91st between Lewis and Sheridan is a great area of Tulsa.

And we all know what opinions are like...I hate south Tulsa.  Annoying enough for ya?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2011, 09:00:19 am »

I know the city is segmented into at least 5 areas, but I've never been comfortable saying just exactly what and where South Tulsa is. Maybe its a state of mind. Wink

FWIW, I live close to downtown. Some people call it midtown, some downtown, some Maple Ridge, some call it just the old part of town. None of them actually fit.

onward...through the fog
David
Citizen

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »

To me there is: Downtown (IDL), North (north of the 244), Midtown (South of 244, north of 44, West of Sheridan), East (East of Sheridan, North of the BA), South (Everything south of the BA and/or 44), West (west of the Arkansas).

Now there is the Southwest Tulsa area, but that'll pretty much get lumped into South.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 09:11:37 am »

I know the city is segmented into at least 5 areas, but I've never been comfortable saying just exactly what and where South Tulsa is. Maybe its a state of mind. Wink

FWIW, I live close to downtown. Some people call it midtown, some downtown, some Maple Ridge, some call it just the old part of town. None of them actually fit.

Maple Ridge is pretty well defined, isn't it?  I see signs at the border when I stop to pay the toll at the entry booth....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:05 am »

To me there is: Downtown (IDL), North (north of the 244), Midtown (South of 244, north of 44, West of Sheridan), East (East of Sheridan, North of the BA), South (Everything south of the BA and/or 44), West (west of the Arkansas).

Now there is the Southwest Tulsa area, but that'll pretty much get lumped into South.

Southwest is Tulsa Hills.     Or Jenks.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:22 am »

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 11:35:18 am »

Sort of a minor quibble, but people listing their suburb names when talking to others from around the country really annoys me.

If you're in Florida and a guy asks where you're from, why would you say Jenks, Bixby, Broken Arrow, etc? Just say Tulsa or the Tulsa area.

Nobody knows every suburb of every city. You may not technically live in Tulsa, but you live in the Tulsa metro area. That is by far the most identifiable name to people from several states away.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:24 am »

Sort of a minor quibble, but people listing their suburb names when talking to others from around the country really annoys me.

If you're in Florida and a guy asks where you're from, why would you say Jenks, Bixby, Broken Arrow, etc? Just say Tulsa or the Tulsa area.

Nobody knows every suburb of every city. You may not technically live in Tulsa, but you live in the Tulsa metro area. That is by far the most identifiable name to people from several states away.

With American geographical knowledge the way it is you might as well tell them you live in the state North of Texas.  "Yes, North of the one where JR lived."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org