A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:25:40 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "It's Time For Companies To Step Up"  (Read 5879 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »

He's right to some degree. We've been throwing fistfuls of dollars at the private sector for a couple of years now and all we've got to show for it is a very slowly growing economy. If we had full employment demand would obviously be higher.

You want to contribute? Start hiring.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »

Some of us are attempting to make sure you don't see your Social Security benefits decreased and your Medicare turned into a discount program.

One of the things that concerns me is a means test for SS benefits after about 40 years of paying in to the system.  Because I've been saving for my retirement, I expect to be told I don't need my SS benefits.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:09 pm »

One of the things that concerns me is a means test for SS benefits after about 40 years of paying in to the system.  Because I've been saving for my retirement, I expect to be told I don't need my SS benefits.
I don't support a means test, except perhaps on those with the very highest incomes/savings levels. Clearly Warren Buffett getting Social Security is a waste of money for everyone (unless he manages to lose or give away his entire fortune). Since we have a $102,000 income limit on Social Security tax, how about a $102,000 income limit on benefits? (As in, you get paid SS until the point where you draw more than $102,000 a year out of other retirement accounts with a rolling average)

Guido, I haven't had bailout money directed my way. Not even the $8,000 FTHB credit. Sad

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:11 pm »

Artist said;
How is it these companies have all this extra money... if they arent selling goods and services?  

Look at the tag on everything you buy, everything you have bought in the last 10 years.  That will tell you the true story of where the jobs are.  Start a list with the country of origin.  Place a tick by each one for every item you look at.

Wanna bet on which one is first??  (Hint; it ain't the US.)

You can't even go to Lowe's and buy something as simple as a bolt or screw made in US.  Hillman brand.  Made in China.

That is the story of the last 25 to 30 years in America.  Jobs have been exported wholesale.  There are no jobs to "step up" for.  They are gone.  And will remain gone for at least decades, even if we started tomorrow morning about 10:15 to work to bring them back.  That is the new reality.  They just don't exist any more.

Nathan;
SS benefit is based on that 102,000.  When Warren gets his, it will be based on his contribution up to the 102,000.  Won't be a hill of beans to him, but it will be based on his tax.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:21:07 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »

I don't support a means test, except perhaps on those with the very highest incomes/savings levels.

Then it only becomes a matter of where to draw the line.  I'm afraid that line will be drawn a lot lower than what you propose.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:10 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHQammdwGQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org